Your question

Multiple Graphics cards

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
January 17, 2012 11:54:23 PM

I currently use an ATI Radeon HD5670 with dual monitors. I am looking to add another monitor (or 2) and have an ATI FireMV 2250 X1 that I am trying to add to a Dell XPS Studio 9100, running Win7-64. I am not having much success at this point. My version of the 5670 does not have a display port output, just DVI, HDMI and VGA so it will only 'drive' 2 monitors.

My question is, should this combination work or should I look in another direction. I am looking to spend as little $$ as possible.

I am not looking to play games, just have multiple screens primarily for programming purposes.

Thanks

More about : multiple graphics cards

a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 12:04:20 AM

If it is not for gaming and you have a sufficient space in your computer case (2x PCI-E x16), then it should work perfectly, but don't expect playing games on that since incompatibilities between different config cards will make compatibilities issues. (like it may not allow you to play DirectX11 games since ATI FireMV doesn't support that).

Hope it helps! :) 
m
l
January 18, 2012 12:11:50 AM

I really have only 1 PCI-E x16 slot, along with an x8 and x1. I also have 1 PCI slot that is not being used. I understand the gaming limitations of the FireMV but I am not a gamer.
I did download the latest drivers for the FireMV but they were imbedded in a version of Catalyst that the 5670 didn't like.

Wabos
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 12:23:06 AM

An X16 is the same slot than an x8 but at higher speed and bandwidth.

Are you sure there isn't any drivers compatible with both of the graphic cards?
You can always install windows Display drivers (From Windows Update), but they aren't recommended for gamers, since you aren't one, it may be ok.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 12:25:12 AM

At last resort, you can try to enable your Intergrated On-Board graphics at the same time than your Inserted Dedicated Graphic Card, but the downside is that few motherboard actually supports that.
If it works, you can give me one of your cards. :)  (Just joking for the last part)
m
l
a c 195 U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 12:31:47 AM

have you tried just loading the driver and not catalyst?
m
l
January 18, 2012 12:45:17 AM

bloc97 said:
An X16 is the same slot than an x8 but at higher speed and bandwidth.

Are you sure there isn't any drivers compatible with both of the graphic cards?
You can always install windows Display drivers (From Windows Update), but they aren't recommended for gamers, since you aren't one, it may be ok.

Windows Update just links to the AMD website :( 

The X1 & X8 slots I am referring to a physically different than the X16 slot that the HD 5670 is in. The 2250 X1 card fits in a slot not much bigger than a quarter.

Wabos
m
l
January 18, 2012 12:46:52 AM

popatim said:
have you tried just loading the driver and not catalyst?

The link for the HD 5670 does allow for downloaded just the driver but the 2250 only downloads the entire package :( 

Wabos
m
l
a c 222 U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 12:49:34 AM

Are you running Vista? Vista only loads one GPU driver. If you are using XP/Win7 you should be able to load both.

The slot you are talking about is a PCIe 1x slot.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 12:55:53 AM

What you mean that both of drivers aren't compatible? What actually happens when you install them both?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 12:57:22 AM

Also what OS are you using?
m
l
January 18, 2012 1:28:12 AM

bloc97 said:
What you mean that both of drivers aren't compatible? What actually happens when you install them both?

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

Device manager: ATI FireMV
This device cannot work properly until you restart your computer. (Code 14)

I have restarted the system multiple times, same message.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Device Manager: ATI Radeon HD 5670
Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

This has just started in the last few minutes, previously I was able to disable the 2250, after which the 5670 worked 'normally' until I reset the system after 'playing' with the drivers for the 2250.

Right this minute neither adapter is working correctly.

Wabos
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 1:36:46 AM

I will talk more about this in-depth tomorrow, but for now, what I can tell you is to download these drivers.

First un-install both of the drivers. And do a driver sweep if needed.

Download this:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/firemv/Pages/fire... (choose option 1 "ATI Control Panel Suite") Then install it.

After that, reboot and install your 5670's drivers.

Reboot again and it should work.
m
l
January 18, 2012 2:06:20 AM

Done, with errors (I will report in detail tomorrow).

The 5670 is now working normally.

Device manager: 2250
Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)

Thanks for your help!

Wabos
m
l
a c 222 U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 2:23:17 AM

Are you sure the Fire card works?

Your current problems sounds like you've loaded drivers so many times that you have some registry issues. Time for a round of driver sweeper or whatever that program is called.
m
l
January 18, 2012 12:08:40 PM

bloc97 said:
I will talk more about this in-depth tomorrow, but for now, what I can tell you is to download these drivers.

First un-install both of the drivers. And do a driver sweep if needed.

Download this:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/firemv/Pages/fire... (choose option 1 "ATI Control Panel Suite") Then install it.

After that, reboot and install your 5670's drivers.

Reboot again and it should work.

When I installed/ran the above, I got the following message:

Warning
Setup was unable to find components that can be installed on your current hardware or software configuration.Please make sure you have the required hardware or software.

The 5670 driver installed fine.

Wabos
m
l
January 18, 2012 12:21:58 PM

4745454b said:
Are you sure the Fire card works?

Your current problems sounds like you've loaded drivers so many times that you have some registry issues. Time for a round of driver sweeper or whatever that program is called.

The card is new but I suppose that doesn't constitute knowing that it works as per this thread. The OS recognizes it but so far none of the drivers have installed. For that matter the 'Auto Detect' software from ATI/AMD doesn't detect either card and the 5670 works fine.

As far as Driver Sweeper, I downloaded it and ran the scan but I am hesitant to remove the dozens of entries it shows. How do I know what to remove and/or leave? Just remove them all and reinstall the most current?

Thanks,

Wabos

m
l
January 18, 2012 12:28:46 PM

Just to clarify my monitor setup.

1. Acer S231HL connected to 5670 via HDMI
2. Acer S231HL connected to 5670 via DVI
3. Acer AL2216W connected to 2250 via DVI

I have yet to get a 'signal' to #3.

Wabos
m
l
a c 222 U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 1:07:35 PM

Because you have the 5670 if/when you run Driversweeper you'll lose the drivers for that card. I'd run it and remove everything seeing as you had issues. Pull the 5670 and just try the fire card. Make sure it works before adding the 5670 again.
m
l
January 18, 2012 1:36:29 PM

4745454b said:
Because you have the 5670 if/when you run Driversweeper you'll lose the drivers for that card. I'd run it and remove everything seeing as you had issues. Pull the 5670 and just try the fire card. Make sure it works before adding the 5670 again.

Good idea. I am heading out for the day but will give this a shot tomorrow.

Wabos
m
l
January 19, 2012 1:06:33 PM

Ok, back again still no luck.

I ran Driver Sweeper and removed all display adapter drivers.

Removed the 5670, installed the latest drivers for the 2250. At that point, I had 2 monitors working just like in the beginning so I am now comfortable in knowing that the 2250 works as advertised.

Reinstalled the 5670, downloaded and installed the latest drivers (Driver Only, not Catalyst). Hooked monitor 3 to the DVI port, rebooted. Now only monitor 3 is 'working' :

Device manager: 2250
Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)

No idea what to try next, though I am beginning to think this is just not going to work <g>.

Thanks,

Wabos
m
l
a c 222 U Graphics card
January 19, 2012 1:16:04 PM

Very odd indeed.

Can you try a different PCIe port? Do you have any conflicts in the device manager?
m
l
January 19, 2012 1:38:13 PM

4745454b said:
Very odd indeed.

Can you try a different PCIe port? Do you have any conflicts in the device manager?

No conflicts other than the error noted.

I have only 2 PCIe x1 slots, the one the 2250 is in and my sound card uses the other. The 'fact' that both work fine until I re-installed the 5670 makes me think the slots are fine though I obviously can't solve the problem.

Wabos
m
l
a c 222 U Graphics card
January 19, 2012 2:13:07 PM

Humor me. Pull the sound card and try it in that slot. (or just pull the sound card...)
m
l
January 19, 2012 2:38:21 PM

4745454b said:
Humor me. Pull the sound card and try it in that slot. (or just pull the sound card...)

Done.

On rebooting after the swap, I get the following error.

ATI Graphics

No ATI Graphics driver is installed. Please install the ATI driver appropriate for your hardware.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Device Manager: 2250
This device cannot work properly until you restart your computer (Code 14)
Restarted twice, same message.

Device Manager: 5670
Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43)

Wabos
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2012 7:19:06 PM

As far as I know, there is no real FireMV drivers for Win7 64 Bit, what you can try to do is to install both drivers Without the installer and use Windows Device Manager.
Un-Zip both of the installers by using an program like "UniExtract" and install them manually by using "Update Drivers" in each device's properties.
And of course, always sweeping your drivers entirely before doing an manual install.
m
l
January 19, 2012 8:33:32 PM

bloc97 said:
As far as I know, there is no real FireMV drivers for Win7 64 Bit, what you can try to do is to install both drivers Without the installer and use Windows Device Manager.
Un-Zip both of the installers by using an program like "UniExtract" and install them manually by using "Update Drivers" in each device's properties.
And of course, always sweeping your drivers entirely before doing an manual install.

This would be funny if it wasn't so frustrating :??: 

I did as you suggested and after a number of reboots, Device Manager indicates both adapters are functioning normally but of course they are not. I still have no signal to #3, which is connected to the 2250.
1 & 2 display the same screen and nowhere does the system reflect that it has 2 monitors, never mind 3. I usually use Windows Screen Resolution to set the various characteristics on my monitors, resolution, which one is main, extend the desktop, etc. It only shows 1 monitor.

The driver I am using for the 2250 (Version 8.56.1.16) was downloaded directly from the AMD website, and is supposed to be for Win 7 and Vista 64 bit. It in fact works fine when using the 2250 as the only adapter installed.

Thanks for the help, what's next :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2012 9:16:44 PM

When you take off your 5670, does the FireMV works? And also, are you sure that windows is detecting both of your graphic cards?
m
l
January 19, 2012 9:36:45 PM

bloc97 said:
When you take off your 5670, does the FireMV works? And also, are you sure that windows is detecting both of your graphic cards?

Yes, both cards work fine alone and 'normally' the 5670 works fine while the 2250 is in the machine, but for some reason it isn't right now.

When I delete the cards using the Device Manager and tell it to Scan for hardware changes, it correctly detects each card and installs the drivers for it.

The 'funny' thing to me is with both cards reporting that they are not working for one reason or another, I still have 'something' driving my monitor.

Wabos
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2012 9:43:23 PM

So what are you trying to say here?
1- Drivers tell that everything works fine but it doesn't.
2- Drivers say that it has errors but you still get things on the screen.
3- Drivers don't work and there is nothing on the screen.
m
l
January 19, 2012 10:05:11 PM

Yes to all but of course it is a moving target. When I ran Driver Sweep and removed everything graphics related, I then re-installed the drivers using Device Manager to load the drivers I 'extracted' using UniExtract. At that point I had condition 1, Device Manager indicated both adapters were working properly when in fact monitor 3, connected to the 2250, had no signal and monitors 1&2, connected to the 5670 both displayed the same thing.

I then rebooted, after which Device Manager indicated both adapters had errors and neither were 'working' but I did in fact have 'control' in that Monitors 1&2 were still working though still displaying the same window.

I then reinstalled the drivers for the 5670 using the regular method (driver only) and now I have a single monitor, #2 which is connected to the 5670 via DVI.

I really appreciate all of the consideration given to this issue but I sure would like to know if the combination is supposed to work and their is possibly something wrong with my cards or computer. Part of the problem seems to me to be that because the FireMV 2250 is a 'business' class adapter there is not a lot of information on the user forums about them. Hard to believe I am blazing a trail here.

Thanks,

Wabos
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2012 11:03:08 PM

I've heard of issues that Radeons didn't work well with FireMVs. But I never heard of graphic cards not working with each-other, except if there is an Limitation with your motherboard.
Anyway, I think we are able to resolve this issue, but it may take some time. :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2012 11:04:18 PM

Also, why after you installed the 5670's drivers with the regular method and you only have an single monitor? Did you try the "detect" button in Windows' "Screen resolution" options?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2012 11:05:12 PM

What does your motherboard look like? Can you take a picture of inside your computer?
m
l
January 19, 2012 11:47:32 PM

bloc97 said:
What does your motherboard look like? Can you take a picture of inside your computer?

How do I imbed a photo?
m
l
January 20, 2012 12:04:21 AM

bloc97 said:
Also, why after you installed the 5670's drivers with the regular method and you only have an single monitor? Did you try the "detect" button in Windows' "Screen resolution" options?

Well it seems that during all of the moving around of computer and monitors the HDMI cable to monitor #2 had loosened enough to not make good contact so the 5670 is in fact working normally now. Sorry about that!

Wabos
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2012 12:14:26 AM

Wabos said:
How do I imbed a photo?

When posting an comment, choose the photo icon at the top bar.
m
l
January 20, 2012 12:24:43 AM

bloc97 said:
When posting an comment, choose the photo icon at the top bar.

When I click on that it pops up wanting a URL.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2012 12:32:53 AM

Then you need to upload your photo to an url...
m
l