[Q] New build and nothing happening.

jomaxwel

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
Hey there guys just finished putting my homebuilt pc togeather.

master cooler elite 430 case
asrock pro3 gen3
i3 2120
corsair cx430 psu
8gb corsair vengence 1600 ram 2x4
sapphire hd 5560 gpu
1tb seagate drive
dvd drive and multi card reader

OK this is were i get stumped. put everthing to geather triple checked all wireing and no boot. no lights no fans no nothing, PSU is putting out juice per a multireader guage and jumping the fan. though it only makes a faint hum noise when I turn the supple on. breadboarded the motherboard with only the 24 pin power and and 8 pin cpu hooked up and only the cpu on board and the speaker hooked up. nothing just the faint hum the fans dont even try to turn on. Tried all the troubleshooting steps already.

p.s. one thing I noticed about the case is the power button pushes in but doesnt click and the reset buton clicks. Seams to me they would be the other way around? I think I may have a bad motherboard but figured I would ask here before RMA'ing the board.

Solution

What's that? And what does "jumping the fan" mean?

Breadboarding with just motherboard, CPU & HSF, PSU, and case speaker; when you try to turn on the system, you should hear a continuous series of long beeps telling you there is no memory installed. Silence means a problem with the PSU, motherboard, or CPU.

You could try swapping the wires to the front panel power button and wire it up to the reset button instead. Theres nothing special about them, they're just buttons. See if you can use the reset button as the power button.

Is the fan in the power supply working when you jump it? If that fan isn't working, then the PSU is bad, output voltages notwithstanding.

What's that? And what does "jumping the fan" mean?

Breadboarding with just motherboard, CPU & HSF, PSU, and case speaker; when you try to turn on the system, you should hear a continuous series of long beeps telling you there is no memory installed. Silence means a problem with the PSU, motherboard, or CPU.

Solution

jomaxwel

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
Sorry used a multimeter to check voltage out of the 24pin power and its good and jumpered the fan and it powers on. I did clear the cmos and removed the battery. I have just come to its a bad motherboard. I have read there have been a number of these with the pro3 gen3 so RMA'ing it and hope better luck with the next.