Sign in with
Your question

2 x GTX 570's quick question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 18, 2012 12:59:56 AM

Hello, i bought my first 570 from EVGA for my last computer. I recently bought a new pc and decided to get it to come with 1 x GTX 570 so i could SLI them. Only issue is, one is a Superclocked version so has higher clock speeds and lower temps. Should this card be the one i put in the Main GPU1 slot? Or does it really matter? I heard somewhere that you want the better one in the prime number 1 slot.

Also when overclocking these cards, should there be anything i need to know about raising the clock speeds, i.e. should less powerful one be brought to the exact same clock speed as more powerful one or vise versa, or can 2 cards run with max performance in SLI when one has a different starting clock speed?

Thanks you for all your support my fellow PC enthusiasts :) 

Stuart

More about : gtx 570 quick question

January 18, 2012 1:33:28 AM

As someone that is running a gtx470 sli setup atm I can tell you that which ever card that you install in the top slot will always run hotter than the card in the bottom slot because it is sucking up the considerable amount of heat that is generated from the back of the card in the bottom slot. So it really doesn't matter which one is in the top slot. I even tried swapping my cards around and the top one always run hotter.

As for overclocking I run my cards at the same speed so that the fastest card won't be waiting for the slower one to catchup killing your framerate. Overclock them to the fastest speed that the weakest card can run without crashing and set both to that speed.
a c 181 U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 2:10:12 AM

Two cards the same and one is OC'd. When you use the two cards even if you use the OC'd card in the first slot it will always run on the same settings as the normal clocked card. That is just a rule of thumb.

Another example you have two cards that are the same but one card has 2GB of Vram and the other has 1GB of Vram. The 2GB of Vram will now run as if it had 1GB of Vram. Same thing for the speed.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 2:37:53 AM

You'll be able to edit the clocks of both cards, but they'll have to be the same. They'll default to the stock clock, but you should be able to easily bump them both up to the Superclocked level. EVGA Precision makes it easy.
January 18, 2012 2:39:56 AM

I use Evga Precision and it works great, just make sure you hit the Sync gpu button if you have cards at different clocks.
January 18, 2012 2:51:05 AM

I have dual sapphire 6970's that I overclock using AMD Overdrive and MSI Afterburner.
What ever your "master gpu" is clocked at, is what your second gpu should be clocked at. And the master card will always run hotter, as everyone that has said is most certainly correct. I compensate in MSI by using a custom auto fan profile, and neither card goes above 70 Celsius - even when oc'ed to the max. So, I DEFINITELY recommend getting familiar with MSI Afterburner if you aren't already. When you set the clock, it is automatically applied to both cards.

Also, seeing as how one is factory overclocked - I really don't know how far it is pushed, and whether you stock 570 can hang or not. Might want to underclock it a tad so the other card can hang - and you will still have overkill power, so no reason not to.

January 18, 2012 3:02:21 AM

kajabla said:
You'll be able to edit the clocks of both cards, but they'll have to be the same. They'll default to the stock clock, but you should be able to easily bump them both up to the Superclocked level. EVGA Precision makes it easy.

Unless he is gaming with a multi-display setup, I don't think he should.

The stock 570 can't be expected to hang with the factory overclocked 570, and if he decides to go for it (factory overclock for BOTH gpu's), his stock 570 will be dragged on long, hot ride (without proper cooling).

He has more power than he needs, already.* By underclocking the factory overclocked 570 to stock levels and running both at stock, he will still have essentially a 590 and one beast of a machine. Why put the wear and tear on his GPU's?

*I do overclock mine, but at 1080p I won't have near the horsepower that he will soon have (regardless of AMD's scaling advantages). Plus, I am planning on adding a third GPU and 2 more displays.
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 10:21:08 AM

Yes, it can be expected to. It's not a big overclock. Reference GPUs can be overclocked; OEMs just make money with superclocked models because people aren't willing to do it themselves. If the temps are too high, of course, backing off is smart, but without voltage changes it shouldn't really affect the lifetime of the cards.
Even two 570s can't max out the most demanding games on 1080p. In beautiful (and badly optimized) games like Crysis 2, every bit of horsepower helps.
January 18, 2012 9:03:39 PM

kajabla said:
Yes, it can be expected to. It's not a big overclock. Reference GPUs can be overclocked; OEMs just make money with superclocked models because people aren't willing to do it themselves. If the temps are too high, of course, backing off is smart, but without voltage changes it shouldn't really affect the lifetime of the cards.
Even two 570s can't max out the most demanding games on 1080p. In beautiful (and badly optimized) games like Crysis 2, every bit of horsepower helps.

I have two 6970's that blow BF3 away @ 80+ fps ultra/1080 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xa5y6KUZO0&feature=chan...

And just flat-out destroys Crysis and Crysis 2 DX11/High Res... I never get below 70fps+ in Crysis, and in Crysis 2 DX11/High Res, I get 50fps+.

I was always under the impression that 570's beat 6970's in 1080p and below, so I would think he could max EVERY game on the market, and with ease.

Granted, I've never personally had 570's, so I am just going by what I seem to be hearing from others.
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 9:08:10 PM

They trade benchmarks, with the 570 generally coming out very slightly on top in single-card situations. I think the 6970 scaleas slightly better, but it's still nothing significant.
I take that back, actually. I was misremembering these numbers: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crysis-2-directx-11...
Their 6970s hit a fairly consistent 60fps in C2 Ultra. That's with no AA, though, which I consider worth lowering other settings. 570s and 6970s should come very close to maxing it out.
January 18, 2012 9:12:32 PM

kajabla said:
They trade benchmarks, with the 570 generally coming out very slightly on top in single-card situations. I think the 6970 scaleas slightly better, but it's still nothing significant.
I take that back, actually. I was misremembering these numbers: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crysis-2-directx-11...
570s and 6970s will hit a fairly consistent 60fps in C2 Ultra.

Ouch.

Those benchmarks look too low. It is without high res textures and with AA off.

I get 50+ in Crysis 2 with full AA in DX11/High Res and 1080p.

Maybe because my GPU's are overclocked and my system is tweaked...IDK.

Maybe he should overclock - maybe the difference between dual 570's and dual 6970's isn't as big as I thought.

I thought 6970x2 vs 570SLi is essentially 6990 vs 590, and as we know the 590 has closed the gap and is starting to surpass the 6990.

Maybe my thinking is wrong.
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 9:23:40 PM

Nvidia's and AMD's and 500 and 6000 series trade benchmarks closely above $200. The 560 Ti and 6950, the 570 and 6970 and the 590 and 6990 are each a very close pair, with one card generally featured in any one game but neither coming out far on top overall.
That review doesn't have 570 SLI (I wish they'd start including it), so I'm just assuming that it'll be quite similar to 6970 Xfire.
January 18, 2012 9:45:43 PM

kajabla said:
Nvidia and AMD's 6000 and 500-series trade benchmarks closely above $200. The 560 Ti and 6950, the 570 and 6970 and the 590 and 6990 are each a very close pair, with one card generally featured in any one game but neither coming out far on top overall.
That review doesn't have 570 SLI (I wish they'd start including it), so I'm just assuming that it'll be quite similar to 6970 Xfire.

Makes sense.

I love cats. Just thought I would put that out there. :D 
January 20, 2012 11:42:05 AM

Wow thank you for all your excellent replys! Its been really helpful reading all of your comments.
:) 

Stuart
a c 181 U Graphics card
January 20, 2012 9:32:01 PM

spyweb333 said:
Wow thank you for all your excellent replys! Its been really helpful reading all of your comments.
:) 

Stuart

Welcome to Tom's hardwear. This stuff goes on all the time. There isn't a day that goes buy and you alway's have someone making a point. This is not bad stuff. You will learn a lot when these guy's start sharing. I do hope your answer was answered.

@kajabla Is that the same kitty in a different pose or is it another addision to the family?
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2012 11:54:37 PM

The blurry one's my actual cat. I had quite a nice full-resolution picture, but downsizing it blurred it up. If you know a way to get it small but keep it sharp, let me know. My original picture's a stranger from the internet :p 
January 21, 2012 2:11:53 AM

kajabla said:
The blurry one's my actual cat. I had quite a nice full-resolution picture, but downsizing it blurred it up. If you know a way to get it small but keep it sharp, let me know. My original picture's a stranger from the internet :p 

Perhaps you can convert it to different format then try downsizing...
a b U Graphics card
January 21, 2012 2:58:35 AM

Ooh, this looks better. Just messed with brightness, contrast, sharpening and zoom.
a c 181 U Graphics card
January 21, 2012 3:21:26 AM

kajabla said:
Ooh, this looks better. Just messed with brightness, contrast, sharpening and zoom.

^ So do you think you got it with the new kitty?
a b U Graphics card
January 21, 2012 3:25:12 AM

We'll see what it looks like once it gets past the mods. I do have two cats, but the other doesn't pose well. Also, I can't find the original picture (blue background) on the web anymore. I don't remember how I found it in the first place. It's a mystery.
WE HAVE JACKED THIS THREAD BEYOND REASON
!