What is wrong with my PC?

LugiazSoul

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
Hello everyone. I am a new member that has registered to try and get help on figuring out what is wrong with my PC. My PC is only 2 months old

I was playing Battlefield 3 and my screen went blank as if I had unhooked my DVI cable. Then the fans on my video card ramped up to 100%.

Also, I had been getting drivers crashes since I had built my system like 2 months ago.

So I held the power button for a couple of seconds to shut it down. I turned it on and the video card is still doing the same thing. Sometimes I can get into windows and after like one minute, the same thing happens.

I uninstalled and reinstalled my video drivers, but that did not help.

I am suspecting the culprit was the 12.2 Catalyst drivers because when I had installed them a week earlier, CCC kept telling me that there were no settings that I could modify.

I also updated my mobo drivers. That also did not help.

I reinstalled Windows but that did not fix the problem.

So I took apart the video card and cleaned the paste and reapplied it. Did not work.

I tried using a different PCI-E slot but that also did not change anything.

So I removed the video card and booted up Windows with the on-board Intel HD 3000 graphics. They work perfectly. I can play video games on it but they aren't good enough.

I think the video card has gone bad. I don't understand how that could've happened because I have perfect airflow in my case.

I've tried under-clocking but that doesn't seem to help.
has anyone else had the same issues? Can someone help me? I would really appreciate it.

MY specs.

CPU: Intel Core-i5 2500K
GPU: XFX Double Dissipation AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB
PSU: Antel Earthwatts 650W
Mo-Bo: MSI Z68A-G43 G3
HDD: WD 500GB Blue
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 922
Cooler: Noctua NHD14

Looks like you have been through some good troubleshooting steps. Before you send your GPU back, try to get your hands on a different GPU to rule out the PCIe slot on the motherboard. The good news with the bad HD 6870 is the XFX warranty... Should be able to get it replaced pretty easily (double lifetime warranty ??).

xunicronx

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
It probably is your graphics card. How are your temperatures for the CPU? Have you made sure you applied the thermal paste correctly? Sadams04 has the right idea. I would try to get my hands on a different graphics card.

LugiazSoul

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

My temps are at 35 degrees Celsius. Its not My CPU. When I am gaming, my temps on my GPU were never higher than 60 Celsius. They were around the mid fifties.