Upgrading from Sapphire HD 4670 GPU

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 18, 2012 3:27:13 AM

Hey there!

A few years ago I wanted to build a new computer however, I was on an extremely tight budget so I used these forums to ask for advice and the computer that I was hoping would last around 1/2 years is still up and running and I'm playing games such as Skyrim and now SWTOR on it! However they are both in medium settings! But for the price I paid I can't complain (Around £220) and it was all thanks to the TomsHardware community who helped me pick the best pieces.
So here I am once again asking for advice because while the game runs games reasonable ok I want to upgrade the Graphics Card to run newer games at high settings (Looking to upgrade it mostly for GW2 and wanted to be able to run it at max settings).

Copying this from the template:

I'm looking to upgrade ASAP and thinking about spending around £115!
The computer is used mostly for gaming.

Currently using a Sapphire Radeon HD 4670 Ultimate Edition and a Coolermaster Elite Power 500W PSU.

Cpu - AMD Phenom II X3 710, Motherboard - ASRock A790GMH/128M, 4GB DDR3 Ram

I play all the games at 1920x1080 Resolution except for Skyrim.

While looking for potential upgrades I used this handy benchmark list:
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html#
Along with this TomsHardware list:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-graphics-card-revi...

After reading, comparing prices and researching specs and cards and so on I've decided to either go for a Radeon HD 6850 (Around £100) or the Radeon HD 6870 (Around £120).
There's a considerable difference.
Which card would you guys recommend upgrading to?
I haven't really looked at Nvidia cards but are there any better alternatives out there for that price range?

And that would be that. I might edit this post at a later date and will keep the topic updated aswell.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Mauro

More about : upgrading sapphire 4670 gpu

a c 107 U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 3:52:46 AM

It's worth it to spend the extra money on the 6870. You may also want to buy a decent CPU cooler to overclock that CPU. Have you tried unlocking the 4th core yet?
January 18, 2012 1:52:39 PM

Hey Megaman, Thanks for the advice so far.

Unfortunately I'm not that tech savvy to overclock anything at all on my computer. Since I'm always on tight budgets I don't want to do it in case I end up blowing up a piece of hardware and having to buy an exact same one! :-P
So I stick to standard settings! Once I upgrade the GPU the CPU will be the next thing if I don't onverclock it first like you suggested. Hopefully it'll be easy to do but that's another disucssion altogether.

As for the cards, are there any other nice alternatives for the 6870 out there? Such as Nvidia ones.

And if I were to get one of the 6870s which variant should I get? Go for the Sapphire one? XFX? I don't know the differences unfortunately. :-)
Related resources
a c 107 U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 3:00:59 PM

The nvidia equivalent to the 6870 is the GTX 560 and while it uses more power and generally costs a little more it has more overclocking headroom. A GTX460 1GB is a good option as well and is on the level of the 6850, but it's rather hard to find right now.
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 3:12:11 PM

6870 is the best performance for the money in the UK at the moment
January 18, 2012 3:59:02 PM

Thanks a lot for your replies once again guys!

Just looked quickly at the gtx 460. According to you (megaman) it has performance comparable to the 6850 and every website I found that card is being sold for the same price if not more than the 6870 so I'll just go for the 6870 really. :-)

The question remains though, what variant shall I get? I don't understand the differences between XFX/Sapphire etc! :-)
January 19, 2012 5:11:19 PM

Just a quick post to say that I went ahead and bought the HD 6870 found here:
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/8224042/art/sapphire-te...

I read about XFX and Sapphire and decided to settle for the Sapphire one. If I had a bit more money I would have gone for the Toxic Edition but yeah!
Thanks for all the helps and advice guys!
a c 107 U Graphics card
January 20, 2012 3:10:46 PM

Cool. Happy gaming.
!