Sign in with
Your question
Closed

[GPU] I am looking to upgrade

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 18, 2012 5:25:19 AM

This has been asked a few times on this forum but I currently have a studio xps 9100 that I am looking to upgrade. First off I know the blatantly obvious that some people out there choose not to support Dell. I have never had a problem with them...I hope that the case I have will provide adequate cooling space as well as room for upgrades...I don't know these things. I am looking to upgrade the shady gpu they provided as an upgrade for this system. A few of the specs are:

GPU: 1G, ATI RADEON 5670
CPU: Intel Core i7 930 @ 2.8 GHz
Ram: 9 gigs
Display: FLAT PANEL DISPLAY..., 24, ST2420L
Hard Drive, 1TB, S2, 7.2K, Hitachi, JUPITER
PSU: 525W, EXTREME PERFORMANCE SYSTEM ( copied from dell site )

This is the general info I have, if anything else is needed please let me know...I also have an xps 630i computer that has massive amounts of space but is in need of major upgrades...one of my 9800's started showing artifacts...and it's noisy as all hell...OH! My budget is around $500. I'm willing to bend, as it is soon to be tax season!

More about : gpu upgrade

January 18, 2012 5:30:10 AM

Also, I am a gamer. I can play Skyrim on ultra for about 30 minutes, then I run into overheating I'm sure...any kind of info would be helpful...ways to cool more efficiently, gpu's that will follow my chipset/mobo, etc...I realize the mobo info isn't on here I will check it upon request.
Score

Best solution

January 18, 2012 6:16:36 AM

Are you using a program to see if you are overheating? Msi Afterburner works good.

Pre-built computers usually don't give much space or have enough power for upgrades so i suggest upgrading those.

This is a decent case, it only has 1 fan so its best to add 2-3 for best airflow
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

750w power supply

AMD 6950 Video Card

unless you have a preference for Nvidia cards then

These upgrades are well within your budget.
Only suggesting single card upgrades because i doubt the dell motherboard has sli/crossfire support but i may be wrong.
Related resources
January 18, 2012 3:25:19 PM

leenoshiro said:
Are you using a program to see if you are overheating? Msi Afterburner works good.

Pre-built computers usually don't give much space or have enough power for upgrades so i suggest upgrading those.

Ran afterburner with skyrim on ultra for about 30 minutes. Max GPU temp was 83, usage was 99% after 10 minutes and stayed that way. Fan speed only kicked up to 50%.

That case you mentioned doesn't have usb ports in the front, and is smaller than the one I'm currently using...

Mine:
Height 19.40"
Wide 7.79"
Depth 20.78

vs.

20.00" x 7.48" x 17.68"

Thanks for the time spent looking all of this up though!
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 3:50:44 PM

Your gpu temps are fine.

run prime95 to check your cpu temps unless your already know your max cpu temp.

download hwmonitor to monitor your component temps.

in terms of components, you may need to purchase additional case cooling or a better exhaust fan (I assume your case only has one fan, but do not know). Coolermaster sickleflow is a good affordable fan.

for your gpu either a gtx 560 ti or a hd 6950 would be a good upgrade.

You also should opt for a better psu one from antec, seasonic, or corsair.
Score
January 18, 2012 4:48:15 PM

thesnappyfingers said:
Your gpu temps are fine.

run prime95 to check your cpu temps unless your already know your max cpu temp.

download hwmonitor to monitor your component temps.

in terms of components, you may need to purchase additional case cooling or a better exhaust fan (I assume your case only has one fan, but do not know). Coolermaster sickleflow is a good affordable fan.

for your gpu either a gtx 560 ti or a hd 6950 would be a good upgrade.

You also should opt for a better psu one from antec, seasonic, or corsair.

I'll check into all that...as for PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.aspx?Category=32&n...

I'm looking for gear that will extend the life of this computer for 3 years.
Score
January 18, 2012 5:09:22 PM

CPU temps ran normal, no warnings or threats.

I have 2 internal fans one front and one back, and a large cylindrical fan for the CPU that shoots out the side....airflow should be ok?

my MOBO is a 5dn3x a00, only one slot for graphics...sigh. current PSU is 525w...
Score
January 18, 2012 5:25:28 PM

switch0 said:
CPU temps ran normal, no warnings or threats.

I have 2 internal fans one front and one back, and a large cylindrical fan for the CPU that shoots out the side....airflow should be ok?

my MOBO is a 5dn3x a00, only one slot for graphics...sigh. current PSU is 525w...

the over all physical size of your case does not effect temps. Its about the airflow, Dust and constrained airflow around the case will cause less cool airflow.

3 fans is not great airflow.. my case has 8 fans with room for 2 more here is my case. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

To see if it really is airflow issues..

leave case door off and set a box fan next to it with it on high, if it still crashes then its not a overheating issue..

DO NOT RUN YOUR COMPUTER ALL THE TIME WITH A BOX FAN. (that will result in tons of dust, which could kill components after a while.)
Score
January 19, 2012 2:01:59 AM

Listed that case because its a cheap case that would support long video cards, almost 12 inches of clearance. It does have usb 2.0 ports on the front, its in the middle. And the Dell 9100 doesn't seem to have slots to add more fans, at least in the pics i see on google. Since your case doesn't seem to have much airflow it would be prudent to add a newer video card in there. Most video cards are designed to blow hot air inside the case, not exhaust out the back.
Score
a c 88 U Graphics card
January 19, 2012 2:09:26 AM

Grabbing yourself a 560ti or 6950 would be a nice upgrade and should work fine with your psu, if you are concerned about heat , EVGA cards exhaust the heat out of the back of the pc. You can also tweak the fan speed with EVGA precision or MSI afterburner to run cool and quiet to your liking.
Score
January 19, 2012 5:59:37 PM

monsta said:
Grabbing yourself a 560ti or 6950 would be a nice upgrade and should work fine with your psu, if you are concerned about heat , EVGA cards exhaust the heat out of the back of the pc. You can also tweak the fan speed with EVGA precision or MSI afterburner to run cool and quiet to your liking.

560ti looks great, hows the noise? SLI 9800 gt's were screaming in my ear for 4 years I don't want another nVidia banshee...Also, this goes out to everyone, what MOBO upgrade should I be looking at in the next few years?
Score
a c 92 U Graphics card
January 19, 2012 10:49:02 PM

If you have $500 you can get a very nice 6970 or 570 and a psu upgrade.

most single cards are pretty quiet and should be a lot quieter than the 9800x2.
Score
January 21, 2012 3:39:02 AM

Best answer selected by switch0.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
January 21, 2012 6:24:26 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!