Sign in with
Your question

Does a PSU has any effect on temperatures?

Last response: in Components
July 7, 2012 1:41:31 PM

When i first built my system i got around 85C max with my graphic card. Now i see temps above 100C and the card gets overheated. So i was wondering is this change because of the psu?
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2012 1:51:50 PM

Iseriously doubt it's the PSU that's dumping excess heat into the system. Something else must have changed. Cable arrangement, something...
July 7, 2012 2:45:11 PM

there was a bit of electricty problem. i changed the socket i plug the pc power cable.

Also up until the graphic card overheated , i wasnt checking my temps for 6 months. ( i checked the temps at the few weeks when i built the system in november.

Related resources
a c 165 ) Power supply
a c 235 U Graphics card
July 7, 2012 2:58:58 PM

exittoexist said:
When i first built my system i got around 85C max with my graphic card. Now i see temps above 100C and the card gets overheated. So i was wondering is this change because of the psu?

doubtful, has room temp increased because of the change in season? internal dust build up on the GPU heatsink?
July 7, 2012 3:49:25 PM

ct1615 said:
doubtful, has room temp increased because of the change in season? internal dust build up on the GPU heatsink?

yes room is hotter of course. I checked the gpu fan it looked okay. wasnt very dusty.

there is about a 15c increase on gpu temp . when i first tested the temps back in november, the card would run at 77C at bf3, the max temp seen was 85 when the fans were not working at max rpm.

Now it runs around 90-95. and max is 100C
a c 165 ) Power supply
a c 235 U Graphics card
July 7, 2012 4:41:47 PM

exittoexist said:
yes room is hotter of course. I checked the gpu fan it looked okay. wasnt very dusty.

there is about a 15c increase on gpu temp . when i first tested the temps back in november, the card would run at 77C at bf3, the max temp seen was 85 when the fans were not working at max rpm.

Now it runs around 90-95. and max is 100C

if you don't have AC, expect hotter temps in the summer then in the winter

while 90-95 is warm for a GPU, it's still well within spec. you can always download MSI afterburner to increase fan speed. I would also double check all the case fans to make sure they are working properly.
July 7, 2012 5:13:03 PM

I doubt it's the PSU unless you swapped to something underpowered. What was your previous PSU and what is the one you have now?
July 7, 2012 5:22:28 PM

the psu is same psu for 2 years. 600w ocz stealthstream.
a c 165 ) Power supply
a c 235 U Graphics card
July 8, 2012 1:17:40 PM

unless your PSU fan stopped working, doubtful as the PSU would overheat, the problem is not your PSU.
!