Is i3 for gaming enough?

fajardokier

Honorable
May 15, 2012
I know the game is all about the graphic card right? so people said that even i7 isn't that necessary.

So I'm planning to create a Budget gaming next 2 weeks because what do you know?? IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!! :DD
Anyways If i'm going for i3 I have a chance to buy gtx 550 ti SLI. RIGHT SLI I CAN BUY 2 GTX 550 ti
BUTT!! If you guys recommend me to buy i5 I can only just buy 1 550 ti.

So whats the best thing to buy? that i3 or i5.
OH yess Another question. will that i3 bottleneck on that 2 gtx 550?

Budget is $700

Solution
For now yea but games are starting to get more CPU demanding as we see with the I3 in BF3. Yea it can play Bf3 but in 64 player multiplayer maps it starts to stuggle. I really don't see the I5 as overkill for a gaming build it will play pretty much all games with little to no problems. If the I5 was overkill for gaming it wouldn't be recommended by so many people.

bartholomew

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
MUCH better than the 550ti.
perfrel.gif

fajardokier

Honorable
May 15, 2012

Well what do you suggest me then? do you think 2 gtx 550 ti is better than gtx 560? or i'll stick up with 560 ti

ET900

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
If you get an i5 2500K you can overclock the hell out of it easy and it will serve you much longer than an i3. I think it's a wise choice for CPU. If you want to get a 560ti then try get a 448 core one if possible because it performs like 570 ti but is cheaper. If not then try get one with 2GB of VRAM. 1GB is not enough these days unless you play games on a really small monitor. Just for reference, BF3 takes up 1.5GB of VRAM when I play it on high (not ultra) settings without any AA. Yeh...

Hope you're happy with whatever you pick ;)

You're right in gaming it is mostly about the video card not the CPU. That doesn't mean though that you should compleatly ignore the CPU, you can't put a Pentium 4 with 7970 and expect it to play Crysis or BF3. You need an even balence between CPU and video card. For gaming an I7 is overkill because you are spending an extra hundred dollars on hyperthreading and extra cache, two things that games don't make use of right now. The I3 is good for gaming but in certain games like BF3 it will start to bottleneck. I would spend a little extra and get an I5 2500k.

Like I said above I would go with the I5. The GTX 550 is at this point pretty useless in gaming. It was middle of the road when it was released and now it's a generation old. It would be pointless to take two old, kind of weak video cards ans SLI them. You would be better off spending the money on one powerful video card like a GTX 670.

The I5

fajardokier

Honorable
May 15, 2012

Okay! so let's compute it. my budget is $700
In here the gtx 560 ti is $199 but its (Gtx 560 ti PALIT) is palit good??
And I'll pick i5 3570k which is the latest one or also known as ivy bridge which is about $240
And motherboard probably i'll spend $150
For ram maybe $50
And powersupply for about $65
Total $704 "I'll just beg my mom to give me 4 dollars :)
So anyway is it worth it now? Will that setup make happy?

IMO there is no point in getting the Ivy Bridges CPU. Yes it is better but it's only a slight increase in performance. The biggest difference is that Ivy Bridges has better integrated graphics something you aren't even going to use as a gamer becuase you'll be using a dedicated video card. I would just get the 2500K. It should be about 10 dollars cheaper and is still more than good enough for all of todays games. The video card can still needs work. The 560 will work for now but don't expect to be playing Crysis or BF3 on ultra high resoltions with ultra high settings.

fajardokier

Honorable
May 15, 2012

Okay!! I get your point. we're almost done here. I like sandy bridge too you know soooo The final answer is i5 2500k sandy bridge and i'll just overclock it to get same performance as the ivy bridge?

fajardokier

Honorable
May 15, 2012

And 1 more question sorry. Which motherboard should I get? z68 or z77 remember I'm now going to buy that i5 2500k