christianelliott

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
hi guys! i have a dilemma. i was going to build a new gaming rig with i5 2500k, radeon 6850 gpu, 8gb ram, the works, for about 1000 dollars. however, the ipad 3 just came on the market....

i dont know what to do. i can only get one of the two really...

please give your opinion

thanks!

Solution

PC. The...

KNO3

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
Well you could buy an ipad and be cool like all the other kids... or build an awesome gaming computer. But seriously, why would you possibly buy an ipad? So you can play plants vs zombies?

jaraldo

Honorable

Hey :)

Personally I find Ipads overrated. Depends what you want to do though.
I'd go for your computer build since you can do a lot more with it in gaming terms and just overall usage.

I'm trying to build a $1000 computer at the moment and it's looking to be pretty sweet so far.
My Build

Just to save some people from trying to mind-read:
-What do you want to achieve with your purchase? (gaming or streaming?)
-What kind of games? (newer high graphics games?)
-How soon do you want to make your decision on the purchase?
-What computer parts do you have if any already? (monitor and other hardware)

For future reference: How to ask for build advice

Good Luck!

christianelliott

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012

ok, first of all, our school is switching to ipads for use in the classroom, so there would be more academic and professional uses for the ipad, but i have been looking to build a computer for a long time.

1st of all, as i said above both would be multi-use. word processing, programming, and of course, gaming :D
2ndly, the computer would be used for everything from simpler games to higher end games like BF3
3rd, the decision must be made this summer
finally, i have the monitor, and the software i need. (OS, ms office, etc)

sorry, i should have clarified earlier. hope this helps!

-also, i didnt really know where to put the thread, so sorry about that. this helped alot: How to ask for build advice thanks!
:)

KNO3

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009

1) You're not going to enjoy any of those three on a tablet. Period. Even if you buy an external keyboard. It's going to be miserable.

2) Obviously gaming on a tablet is going to be downright depressing.

3) The hipsters may decide a different gadget is cool this summer so you may want to wait to see what's cool then before making your decision anyway.

Finally, I don't believe the monitor or any of that software, ect, will be compatible with an iPad.

Tavo_Nova

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
it's actually clearly a PC.

and the setup you did put on your first post about 6850 and i5 2500k 8gb ram then go with PC.

you can do a lot more with a PC than this pad thingy. you can carry it around and lighter but you can also carry yours pc around just heavier.

you can do light applications on this ipad but you can never go heavy and leet with it compared to PC

but in the end your the one pulling the trigger, try this out

1- get a coin
2- Heads = PC
3- Tails = ipad

flip coin and buy ASAP.
if you have feeling of regret then just enjoy what you have ^_^

note: btw i suffered many regrets of decision with the way flipping decides it for you but well just go for it and forget)

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
You could also build a slightly more budget oriented pc, save a little cash, and maybe pick up an Android tablet, you find decent ones for 300 and under, at least that seemed to be the case around Christmas time. And if you start with a more budget pc, you can always upgrade. IPad why get an expensive tablet, bc sooner or later, the tablet is out of date and you are stuck.

runswindows95

Distinguished
Since I do a lot of word processing (average between 2,000 to 2,500 words daily), I would NEVER even considered an Ipad/tablet over a PC. Also, since you're not planning to do this till the summer, save your money so maybe you can get both. I

obsama1

Distinguished
This is a joke right? If you want to be hipster and cool and value form over function, by all means get an iPad. However, if you value productivity, an open environment, and flexibility, then don't hesitate and get a PC. Look at it this way:
http://ragecdn.blob.core.windows.net/pictures/28dd720a-9c8a-4844-8a88-73d78e7ae31c.jpg
The iPad is $500 and you'll pay $100 for a keyboard case. You gonna pay $600 for a 16GB laptop!? For $600, you can get a decent laptop/rig that will own an iPad. Seriously, while other kids are lazing off playing Angry Birds, you'll be getting work done. Just the thought of typing notes/essay on an iPad makes my fingers ache...

KNO3

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009

^this

I'm finding it difficult to take this conversation seriously.

obsama1

Distinguished

That + avatar equals win!

The iPad is a complementary device. It's meant to fit inbetween a laptop and a smartphone. But not replace a laptop. Post-PC era is bull. I have an HP TouchPad, and while I like tablets, whenever I need to get work done, I go to my computer. Only get an iPad after you get a computer. Not trolling, but its the truth.

alterleaf

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

PC. The iPad is seriously a novelty item. Everyone I know that has one rarely uses it, including myself. Everyone else that does use it isn't raving about how great it is because it really sucks to type on. Word processing is terrible both on the flat screen and equally bad even if you manage to find a keyboard not shrunken to 80% size. On top of all that, gaming is limited and if anyone knows how you can program on an iPad, do tell. I only really find the iPad useful for occasional sofa web browsing and the odd game that I don't want to play on

From an academic standpoint, the iPad has its uses but is still extremely limited. Sure it may be really cool for a while to see an x-ray/medical/interactive image from all sides or go through some solar system application but in the end it's a really poor long term investment. Hell, my own campus has been trying to push both Apple and Android tablets but both have been doing extremely poorly partly due to implementation and a lot of it to do with "it was a good idea at the time because it could do... THAT," whatever "that" might have been. The tablets just float around from person to person or collect dust, unfortunately. People would rather use the old outdated C2D Dell laptops that test your patience.

You're probably better off finding an okay netbook after you build a computer to take notes and do word processing on if you really need something to take with you. You even have a better chance of programming on a netbook than an iPad if they could but I personally wouldn't even begin to think about doing it on either of them.

Solution

zooted

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
It's pretty obvious that everyone here would say to get the pc. So my general assumption would be that you were looking for justification of decision that you already made. So that being said. Get the pc.

christianelliott

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012

i find your lack of faith disturbing...

i, for one, am trying to take this seriously. this is a decision i am going to make.

thanks to all of you, i think i will build first, and maybe think about ipads later.

EDIT: thanks for all of the great help guys! you all make very good points. even with our textbooks going ipad, and the fact that i will still have to carry mine around, :( , i think i will build instead, or at least before. i do have a netbook, but it sucks really bad. no chance of doing any programming, or photoshop or anything on it. its basically a big ipad, for all its good for. i also have an ancient dell desktop, which is even worse than my sad excuse for a netbook. i agree with all of you, having a good desktop is most important. thanks for all of the help, ill select best answer now!