Sign in with
Your question

BF3 crashing + glitched graphics + buzzer sound

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 18, 2012 8:30:29 AM

Hi,

I will try to explain as best as I can. I'm playing BF3 and out of no where my game freezes and I have to ctrl-alt-del to end BF3. I hear a warning buzzer sound. All graphics/UI on programs are messed up/glitched out. My browser that I'm running Battlelog on freezes also. I can still move mouse and stuff on desktop. The only way to fix it is to restart the computer and I can play BF3 fine again.

This has been happening a lot lately. I never had this problem for a good 1-2 months since BF3 came out and no changes to my setup.

Here are my specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
AMD Phenom II 1100t X6 3.8GHz (oc'd)
8GB DDR3 RAM
EVGA GTX 570 Classified
Corsair 650W PSU
ASUS M4A88TD Motherboard

I have EVGA precision and my GPU is not over heating. I have custom fan profiles set. Also running stock settings on the GPU.

I have not monitored CPU temps while playing but I will do that after this post. I don't believe my CPU is over heating but I will find out. I have a Corsair H60 CPU cooler.

thanks in advance
a c 228 U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 11:04:13 AM

Other than the OC on the CPU, are you overclocking anything else (GPU or memory)? If you revert back to stock speeds, does the system stabilize?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 11:25:14 AM

COLGeek said:
Other than the OC on the CPU, are you overclocking anything else (GPU or memory)? If you revert back to stock speeds, does the system stabilize?

OP said the GPU is on defaut settings.

At which settings are you playing BF3?
m
l
Related resources
January 18, 2012 1:19:04 PM

COLGeek said:

Memory and GPU is not overclocked. Just CPU.

I used to have my GPU overclocked but have been running stock to see if it helps the issue but it doesn't seem to help.

jemm said:
OP said the GPU is on defaut settings.

At which settings are you playing BF3?

All medium @ 1920x1080 with the fancy stuff like hbao turned off

Performance is great, get around 60-100 fps. I don't know why I randomly get this crash.

I've been searching on google and read it might be an issue with realtek audio drivers. I installed the latest drivers from realtek's site last week so I don't know what else to try.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 3:18:12 PM

Would it happen without OCing the CPU?

Have you had a look at Windows 7 events logs to see what it says when a crash occuors? You can see events by date and time, so it is easy to find out why the crashes are happening.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 3:21:45 PM

Interesting. Did this just start recently? I have been playing bf3 since november with only minor problems such as the occaisonal disconnect from EA online and very rarely the game would freeze which is to be expected from any online game. I played for 4 hours on Sunday while my wife and her freinds watched the golden globes without any ssues. On Monday, my game started freezing non stop. Sometimes as soon as I try to join a server and sometimes I can get up to 10 minutes of play before it crashes. Some of the time when the game loads without crashing, I can't control my guy very well. It's like only some of the keyboard and mouse commands are being registered. I uninstalled bf3 and origin and reinstalled both but it still happens. This is only happening on multiplayer for me. I played in single player for about 25min with no issues and immediately tried to join a server but it crashed less than a minute into it. I played Need for Speed the Run for about 45minutes on Monday with no problems and it is an EA game that uses orgin also. Is this similar to what you are experiencing?

These are some fixes that I googled this morning and will try whe I get home. I don't know if they will work but it's worth a try.

1. Disable SSDP
2. Disable origin(not sure how to do this yet but I read it can be done through the web broswer)
3. Disable onboard realtek audio
4. Update punkbuster. I am also going to try to uninstall punkbuster to see if it is the issue since my problem only appears to be in multiplayer.

I am just as confused as you are.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 3:30:48 PM

BF is a "Little" buggy , DICE is working on fixes , i get BF.exE Stopped Working Error after playing for 20~30 minutes , i have an oced CPU so maybe it's the cause . but you would get more help if you post on battleLog Forums
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 3:40:42 PM

I also tried using system update to revert back to Jan 11 when I had no issues just to make sure it wasn't one of the windows updates and it did not help.
m
l
January 18, 2012 4:00:17 PM

I was having the same issues to. What worked for me was to uninstall my video cards drivers (all of them via driver sweep), restarted, ran the repair install on BF3, installed my video drivers again, and restarted. I also saw the info stating it could be realtek drivers so I updated to version 2.65 per my motherboard website, version 2.67 is on realtek's website dated 12/16/2011. Next I increased the vm by opening the cmd prompt as administrator, typing bcdedit /increaseuservm 2500, and restarted again. Finally, as soon as I launch BF3 I open task manager and set the priority to high on BF3.exe. Playing after doing all that I haven't had a crash.
m
l
January 18, 2012 5:46:15 PM

jemm said:
Would it happen without OCing the CPU?

Have you had a look at Windows 7 events logs to see what it says when a crash occuors? You can see events by date and time, so it is easy to find out why the crashes are happening.

have not checked... will take a look later.

alrobichaud said:
Interesting. Did this just start recently? I have been playing bf3 since november with only minor problems such as the occaisonal disconnect from EA online and very rarely the game would freeze which is to be expected from any online game. I played for 4 hours on Sunday while my wife and her freinds watched the golden globes without any ssues. On Monday, my game started freezing non stop. Sometimes as soon as I try to join a server and sometimes I can get up to 10 minutes of play before it crashes. Some of the time when the game loads without crashing, I can't control my guy very well. It's like only some of the keyboard and mouse commands are being registered. I uninstalled bf3 and origin and reinstalled both but it still happens. This is only happening on multiplayer for me. I played in single player for about 25min with no issues and immediately tried to join a server but it crashed less than a minute into it. I played Need for Speed the Run for about 45minutes on Monday with no problems and it is an EA game that uses orgin also. Is this similar to what you are experiencing?

These are some fixes that I googled this morning and will try whe I get home. I don't know if they will work but it's worth a try.

1. Disable SSDP
2. Disable origin(not sure how to do this yet but I read it can be done through the web broswer)
3. Disable onboard realtek audio
4. Update punkbuster. I am also going to try to uninstall punkbuster to see if it is the issue since my problem only appears to be in multiplayer.

I am just as confused as you are.

yes it started recently. I was playing BF3 a lot for a good month since release and never had this type of crash I'm having now.

I'll try those suggestions.

CDutch4580 said:
I was having the same issues to. What worked for me was to uninstall my video cards drivers (all of them via driver sweep), restarted, ran the repair install on BF3, installed my video drivers again, and restarted. I also saw the info stating it could be realtek drivers so I updated to version 2.65 per my motherboard website, version 2.67 is on realtek's website dated 12/16/2011. Next I increased the vm by opening the cmd prompt as administrator, typing bcdedit /increaseuservm 2500, and restarted again. Finally, as soon as I launch BF3 I open task manager and set the priority to high on BF3.exe. Playing after doing all that I haven't had a crash.

thanks I'll try this.

Does anyone know where that buzzer sound comes from? I've never heard a buzzer sound when I've had a crash with a game. I'm not sure if it's coming from the OS or Origin or my browser?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 11:16:58 PM

I have had a buzzing sound a couple of times. I am pretty sure it was just that millisecond of audio from just before the crash stuck in a loop. I just played for almost 2 hours with no crash!! All I did was install the 2.67 version of the realtek audio driver from their website. Thanks, CDutch4580. The strange thing is I disabled the onboard audio earlier this evening during troubleshooting and the game still crashed and all I was using for audio was my usb headset. I thought if the device was not present then windows would not load the drivers. Goes to show you how much I know about windows. Anyway, good luck!\

**edit**

Just crashed again about 30 minutes after that last post. Boo! Still better than crashing every 2 minutes. CDutch4580, were you thinking bcdedit set/increaseuservm 2500? I went back to give that a try and had to google it since what you had posted did not work. So this is increasing the virtual memory bf3 is using to 2500MB?

**edit again**

I finally figured out how to fix the problem once and for all and it will be so easy. I am going out tomorrow to buy CODMW3.
m
l
January 20, 2012 5:20:41 PM

just an update here... I reformatted my PC and went back to version 285.79 drivers. I was using the 290 beta version before. Also didn't install realtek audio drivers from motherboard driver cd this time.

So far I haven't had any crashes. If I crash again I will post back in this thread.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2012 7:00:52 PM

betito477 said:
just an update here... I reformatted my PC and went back to version 285.79 drivers. I was using the 290 beta version before. Also didn't install realtek audio drivers from motherboard driver cd this time.

So far I haven't had any crashes. If I crash again I will post back in this thread.

Good luck. I have tried every google'd bf3 crash fix that I could find and still it happens. Spent about 40 minutes in live chat with EA support and both times they said they fixed the issue with no details as to what they did and all I got was a lousy 15% discount on my next purchase at the EA store. Their game programing sucks but at least they have a sense of humor. I wonder how much captain obvious got paid to come up with this gem...

m
l
a c 88 U Graphics card
January 21, 2012 3:18:20 AM

Had insane Bf3 problems myself just like yours and tried everything, it came down to the game being installed on my SSD. My SSD just hates the game , I re installed BF3 to another non SSD drive and now the game disconections and freezing has stopped, my SSD would top out and crap itself.
Try installing the game on a mechanical drive if you have one, just open origin and change the destination folder to that drive download and install it there. Fire up the game and see if it you are still having the problems. Hope this helps.

Another thing I found useful too was to update Direct X from the Microsoft website, for some reason the game just runs better with it.
m
l
!