Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Quick question regarding optical drives / hard drives.

Last response: in Components
July 7, 2012 4:36:57 PM

Do optical drives or hard drives require specific serial ATA (data) cables, or will any generic data cable work? Furthermore, can they be plugged into any generic SATA port on my motherboard? I have both regular and L-shaped data cables, and I'm not quite sure which ones to use in my new build... Which perhaps obviously happens to be my first. ^^
July 7, 2012 4:43:51 PM

Standard SATA data cables should be fine for both devices, the L-shape is designed for convenience at the device end.
m
l

Best solution

July 7, 2012 4:44:40 PM

Not really. The only time it matters is if you have a SATA III 6Gb SSD that requires a SATA III cable for full performance. There are SATA III HDD's too, but they aren't fast enough to really benefit from a SATA III cable or port (although I use both for my own SATA III HDD).

As far as ports go, I've always just used SATA II/III port 1 first then 2/3 etc. in order. I don't know if you NEED to or not, but I always have anyway.
Related resources
July 7, 2012 4:45:55 PM

most modern optical drives and HDD use SATA cables. Either the flat head or L-shape head SATA cable will work. The L shape is designed (supposedly) for easier plug in and cable management. If your SSD is SATA 6Gb/s then plug it into the SATA 6 port on your mobo otherwise any SATA 3 port will work if you don't have SATA 6 on your mobo.
m
l
July 7, 2012 4:51:34 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:

As far as ports go, I've always just used SATA II/III port 1 first then 2/3 etc. in order. I don't know if you NEED to or not, but I always have anyway.

to expand that comment;

with gigabyte, MSI, and asus I have never came across that issue using HDD. I did with an asrock board but I was using a SSD for my OS and it had to go into Port 1 or 2. I had to play around in BIOS for an extra minute compared to the HDD for the mobo to notice the SSD.
m
l
July 7, 2012 4:56:42 PM

Thanks. I'd kind of figured the L-shaped cables were for convenience.
m
l
July 7, 2012 4:57:19 PM

Best answer selected by Elena9525.
m
l
!