LGA 2011 vs LGA 1155

chris2341

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
I am planning an upgrade in the upcoming months I am just trying to get a good idea on where to go with my rig. I am thinking of either a 2700k or an Ivy Bridge 1155 or a 3820 LGA 2011. I am planning on getting a 660 or 660ti when they are released. So the question is should I get a high end lga 1155 with an 1155 mobo or get a low end LGA 2011 with an x79 mobo with PCI 3.0 for the 660. I have a haf 922 so E ATX may or may not fit. As well I really like red motherboards. Any suggestions would be great or any scenarios I have overlooked such as LGA 1155 Ivy Bridge processors. From my current build I will be keeping the case, fans, cm 212+, I have a 500gb HDD but I would like to get a 120 or 250 ssd if I can fit it into the budget. I will also need 8+ gigs of ram. I have a budget of about 1000 but would like to keep it under if possible. For my psu I have a 4-5 year old thermaltake 550w that I can hold on to if necessary. Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
What kind of workload do you plan on doing?

If it's heavily video/photo editing or other heavy multi-thread tasks, the 2700k or LGA 2011 might be your choice.

However, if it's gaming or other tasks that aren't as multi-threaded, the LGA 1155 would be sufficient. Do keep in mind that additional RAM and PCI-E bandwidth have little effect on gaming.

chris2341

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012

Sorry I forgot to mention I do a lot of multi tasking, gaming, HD movies but multi tasking is probably the biggest reason I am upgrading.

And I forgot to mention I have a p5k se with a q6600 at 3.0 and 6gigs of ram. I am contemplating getting a SSD and new gpu right now and upgrading the cpu/motherboard in the summer, which ever is the best use of money for performance.

Not knowing your current GPU, I'd still say a new GPU and SSD will be the best use of your money right now. A q6600 overclocked is still a decent processor and shouldn't be slowing you down much.

Also, in 6 months or so, the lay of the land should be a lot more clear as far as CPUs go - actual benchmarks of Ivy Bridge performance, and equally important, price. So unless you have a pretty recent GPU already, I'd say upgrade that and deal with the CPU a few months down the road.

chris2341

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012

Currently I have a pathetic 8600GT but I have a p5k SE motherboard. Would a 660 gpu even be worth it on that board? And Im leaning towards a 240gb ssd and a 660 or 660ti GPU and maybe put a pull fan on my cm 212 and overclocking up to 3.2 or 3.4.

The 660 might be a little much for that setup, but you can get it if you think you might carry it over to your next system (e.g., if there's a chance you're going to also get a new mobo/CPU in the next 12 to 15 months). In any case, you still ought to notice a boatload of improvement over your current card.

If you're most likely keeping your current platform for a while, then I'd say the cheaper HD 6870 or GTX 560 is more where you want to be at the top end. You'll still get a significant improvement.

g-unit1111

Titan
So the question is should I get a high end lga 1155 with an 1155 mobo or get a low end LGA 2011 with an x79 mobo with PCI 3.0 for the 660.

That depends on what your primary uses are - if it's heavily multimedia applications and gaming then both are good choices.

I have a haf 922 so E ATX may or may not fit.

Not all LGA-2011 boards are XL-ATX - only the Rampage IV Extreme is, and you'll most likely never use the features it has. If you go 2011 get a board like the Sabertooth X79 - that will fit in the build quite easily.

For my psu I have a 4-5 year old thermaltake 550w that I can hold on to if necessary. Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

You'll definitely want to upgrade that to a more current Seasonic or Corsair PSU. I hear good things about the Super Flower platform that manufacturers like Kingwin and NZXT use, you might want to look into those as well.

If it's heavily video/photo editing or other heavy multi-thread tasks, the 2700k or LGA 2011 might be your choice.

The 2700K is essentially a higher-clocked 2600K - it's an incredibly pointless CPU to get, but Intel knows that people will pay for the slightly higher speed. To those of us that know computers though - we know that strategy doesn't always work.

Definitely agree it's time to replace the PSU if he can. Five years is a good run and beyond that, who knows. Better safe than sorry.

I would stay as far away from NZXT as possible. I've had two of their PSUs in my life; gave them a chance because they were allegedly an up-and-coming brand. First one - DOA. Second one - Two years, then toast. Was worried it also fried my motherboard, but luckily only fried the CPU fan speed controller. But my impression is that their PSUs are pieces of crap.

If you can get in under the wire (midnight tonight), probably the best deal out there for a Corsair/Antec PSU is this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

Otherwise, it looks like the OCZ Modstream 600W just went on sale for $38 (!)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341017

I'd call OCZ's reputation good but not as good as Antec or Corsair ... but I've never had any problems with them. In fact, that very power supply in the link is the one that replaced my busted NZXT one. Never had a bit of trouble with that machine since.

g-unit1111

Titan

I've never been an OCZ fan after I found their incredibly rude technical support to be not as advertised.

It's good to know about the NZXT PSUs - but I think that all depends on the OEM. If they have Super Flower as their OEM then the Hale 90 should be good, but I really can never vouch for that without doing some research.

Luckily, I've never had to deal with OCZ technical support ... which in a way is the best support of all.

Having said that, I can guarantee you my OCZ power supply is going to blow itself out tomorrow, since I just cast a Madden Curse-level jinx on myself by sticking up for them.

chris2341

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Since you all have said very valid points Im not too sure who to reply to anyways :

I think upgrading the psu/GPU and getting an SSD is my best use of money right now since they will carry over to a new build within a year or so no later than haswell because the q6600 is still pulling its weight for now.

My budget is about $600 dollars so what is the best gpu psu and ssd preferably 200+ gigs but it would be hard on this budget.

As well I have absolutely no problem spending under budget and will seriously consider going over if it is worth the performance. I know the GPU may be hard to recommend with 660 coming soon in my price range but any input is still appreciated.

gary1

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Corsair HX750 - 150$
Crucial M4 128gb SSD - 160$

That leaves you with 290$ for a graphics card.

With 290$ I would suggest a GTX 570. Or if you can pull 80-100$ out of your top ramen budget, AMD 7870 is 370$ and GTX 580 is 390$.

marxtinus@gmail

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
I've never been an OCZ fan after I found their incredibly rude technical support to be not as advertised.

I got a complettly different experience with OCZ Tech support who helped me to get the better out of my 1200mhz ram on Asus P5qe. The mobo doesn't support theses timing out of the box and needed a lot of tweaking, voltage adjustment and time trimming to make it works at full speed.

Sometimes level of tech support you'll get depends of the attitude you have:
:fou: = :pt1cable: