Sign in with
Your question

V6GT/z77 compatibility

Last response: in Components
July 7, 2012 5:03:35 PM

After days of searching im stuck. I need to know if the Coolermaster V6GT will cover any memory slots on a z77 board. And if it does, will Gskill sniper fit under the cooler?

Ive already bought the 4x4gb Gskill sniper so changing that is not an option for me.

Im not really set on the V6GT but im going for form and function with my with the z77 sabertooth.

If anyone knows of another nice looking and well performing cooler im open to your input.

More about : v6gt z77 compatibility

July 7, 2012 6:39:32 PM

it would seem there is 36mm of clearance between the bottom of the cpu plate and the bottom of the actual heat sink. keep in mind this is not including any heat pipes. so if you oriented your cooler to blow horizontal and your ram is not over 36MM there shouldn't be a problem.

http://www.gnd-tech.com/content/270-Cooler-Master-V6-GT...
m
l
July 7, 2012 8:04:14 PM

Thanks for the reply! thats exactly what i was looking for. I just found that the sticks are 42mm tall, BUT the ram sits lower on the board than the base of the cooler i imagine? Giving me a little more than 36mm? Bare with me, this is my first build.
m
l
Related resources
July 7, 2012 8:09:57 PM

ok how i would measure i would take from the board to the top of the cpu. add in your 36mm of clearance. then insert a stick into the mobo an measure from the board to the top of the heatsink on the ram. and compare.
m
l
July 7, 2012 8:10:28 PM

from the sounds of it they are going to be very close....
m
l
July 7, 2012 8:23:34 PM

Alas, I dont have ANY of the hardware in front of me. Im trying to get the best of both worlds (looks/performance) but I might have to bite the bullet and go with the Maximus/d14 setup, it will be fugly but beast. really appreciate the help though.

I dont suppose anyone knows the dimensions from the board to the top of the cpu? lol

I guess i could always pull one side of heatsink of of one stick of ram.....
m
l
July 7, 2012 8:40:37 PM

It will fit.

Also, the fans are adjustable, so you can move them above your dimms.
m
l
July 7, 2012 8:50:36 PM

clusterfunked said:
I dont suppose anyone knows the dimensions from the board to the top of the cpu? lol

I guess i could always pull one side of heatsink of of one stick of ram.....

if i had to guess the height id say at least 6-7mm give or take. i measured an old athlon xp system i just so happened to have lying about and it was about 10mm to the bottom of the cpucooler. (old tech = larger)

my guess would be that it will be on the blades edge of close..but should fit.
m
l
July 7, 2012 8:50:36 PM

Im not sure they are on the V6GT as they have different fan mounting than most coolers.
m
l
July 7, 2012 9:02:54 PM

Cant thank you enough, I think this cooler will look sick on the sabertooth. I will post pics if I go this route. Ill have all the parts in about two weeks. I guess by then we will all be x99 boards with 128g ram and no one will give three turds what fits on a z77.
m
l
July 7, 2012 9:09:02 PM

:)  gotta love technology.
m
l
!