CrossfireX current issues with 7970

Rollo

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/01/17/amd_crossfirex_drivers_opportunity_lost

Last year, we saw many games launched, many of those were AAA titles, and there were issues with CrossFireX support not being available at launch. In fact, sometimes it took AMD a month or more before CrossFireX was working..... is this issue behind us? Apparently not for the 7970 as we still do not have a CFX driver to put together a CrossFireX review.

We have to just sit here with our heads in our hands and wonder why AMD is seemingly trying its best to piss off its customers that spend the most on its retail products; the CrossFireX gamer. We have seen more than a few AMD video card owners openly express that AMD’s lacking driver support is pushing them to not consider an AMD GPU for their next buy. And honestly, it is hard to hold that decision against them.

Remember the days of monthly Catalyst Driver releases? Remember the days of Terry Makedon, the "CatalystMaker" pushing those out? That all seemingly ended when Terry moved to CPU marketing and AMD seems to think that all of those efforts are no longer important. Let’s sit back and see if AMD squanders what could likely be it best GPU ever.

4745454b

Titan
For the most part I would argue that this isn't an issue. There is a reason why people grab the 6950 over the 5770x2 is to avoid this very issue. You'll often see the advice in this forum to grab one high end card rather then two lower end cards. I would also add that if devs want to work with (or are paid to) AMD it's not exactly their fault it takes them time to figure out how a game engine works.

That said, there is a huge issue with this. AMD designs their GPUs differently then Nvidia. They RELY on CF to capture the high end. (5970, 6990, 7990, etc.) If you rely on CF to give people your fastest card, CF HAS to work. Period. Or else your fastest card is only fastest for some/many/most games. They need to get CF drivers back on track if they are going to continue on this path.

joedjnpc

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
It is a bummer than there's no drivers yet but it is early days and if I was to invest in CF 7970 I would expect some teething problems, considering it is a new architecture.

On a side note there has been reports that AMD are hiring more people into it's driver division.