How do I make XP ask me for my password when I logon?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

It used to but doesn't anymore. I have this laptop in my office and
would like to protect it. thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about make password logon
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Open Control Panel > User Accounts > click on your account > select "Create
    Password" and follow instructions.

    See links:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_passwords.htm
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_logon.htm

    Andre
    "Jack Stroh" <jackstroh@usa.net> wrote in message
    > It used to but doesn't anymore. I have this laptop in my office and
    > would like to protect it. thanks.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    My DESKTOP is Signed ON from USER ACCOUNTS and a Sign-On Screen...CONTROL
    Panel--->CLICK--->USER ACCOUNTS--->CLICK--->Choose your ICON from there...and
    then run down the LIST of Sign-On Options.

    "Jack Stroh" wrote:

    > It used to but doesn't anymore. I have this laptop in my office and
    > would like to protect it. thanks.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Hi Jack,

    Type CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2 at Start/Run and on the users tab, check 'Users muct enter a username and password...'.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Jack Stroh" <jackstroh@usa.net> wrote in message news:jackstroh-4DC220.17420815102004@news.supernews.com...
    > It used to but doesn't anymore. I have this laptop in my office and
    > would like to protect it. thanks.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I won't repeat the content of the other replies to your post, but I would
    consider the other possibilities before using a password to secure your
    laptop. It has been my experience that passwords, multiple identities and
    multiple user accounts cause more problems than they prevent. These
    newsgroups are stuffed with posts from people who have forgotten their
    passwords, had serious system issues with multiple user accounts and in
    general got mucked up, big time.

    I have been using computers for some years now and I never set up any of my
    machines with a Windows Logon Password, screensaver password or any multiple
    accounts or identities. This includes machines in an office environment.
    If you can't trust your coworkers to leave your personal belongings alone,
    then you need to look for new coworkers. An office mate who will peek into
    your computer will peek into your desk drawers, file cabinet, coat pockets,
    or your briefcase.

    Let your comrades know that you will not accept this type of behavior and
    that you expect them to conduct themselves in a civil and professional
    manner at all times. Then lie to them and tell them that you have spoken to
    management and they have installed micro-cameras to protect the entire
    workspace. Further this lie by adding that these cameras are no larger than
    a shirt button and are undetectable to the untrained eye, yet have
    resolution capable of identifying persons at a distance of thirty feet.

    You may well laugh, but I happen to know of a very large, and very well
    known internet technology company that is using this very ruse to save
    millions of dollars in security management costs every year. They are
    famous for their inter-office emails and instant messaging. I used to work
    with one of their systems engineers and he told me about this over a few
    beers and pizza a couple of years ago. He said it has been working so well
    that people leave their laptops open and running on their desks. This is
    social engineering at its best.