good quality digital

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 10, 2005 5:18:05 PM

Has anyone any views on the Olympus c7000. As a newbie to digital I
have been advised to stay away from Olympus (although my Olympus OM1 is
still going strong) and stick to Canon, Panasonic or Nikon.......

Thanks
Smokeyone

More about : good quality digital

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 9:35:06 PM

<mailstarclipper@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone any views on the Olympus c7000. As a newbie to digital I
> have been advised to stay away from Olympus (although my Olympus OM1 is
> still going strong) and stick to Canon, Panasonic or Nikon.......

Don't know, but having an older Olympus that worked great until it died, I
am wondering why they get bashed now. Mine died well out of warranty and
gave years of good service. Maybe this brand has gone downhill, or maybe
bashers are unfairly maligning it. In case you don't know, here is a
review: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusc7000/
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 2:06:14 AM

Thank you both for your replies.

Is there a compact camera with a high resolution that has the
equalivent of a 200mm plus lens and the ability to go to over 400asa
say at 1.8.

Thanks
Smokeyone
June 11, 2005 2:35:56 AM

<mailstarclipper@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone any views on the Olympus c7000. As a newbie to digital I
> have been advised to stay away from Olympus (although my Olympus OM1 is
> still going strong) and stick to Canon, Panasonic or Nikon.......
>
> Thanks
> Smokeyone

What sort of budget do you have and what are you taking photos of?
June 11, 2005 3:58:35 PM

mailstarclipper@btopenworld.com wrote:
> Has anyone any views on the Olympus c7000. As a newbie to digital I
> have been advised to stay away from Olympus (although my Olympus OM1 is
> still going strong) and stick to Canon, Panasonic or Nikon.......
>
> Thanks
> Smokeyone

I've had two Olympus digicams (one was stolen), and my wife has one. We like them. Some
Oly models have gotten top ratings in mags like PC World.

I got my wife he Oly as a presenyt, because it handled very much like the Oly film camera
she was using. It made the switch to digital almost instant for her.
June 11, 2005 6:11:51 PM

mailstarclipper@btopenworld.com wrote:

> Is there a compact camera with a high resolution that has the
> equalivent of a 200mm plus lens and the ability to go to over 400asa
> say at 1.8.

No

--

Stacey
Anonymous

I can't comment on the Oly c7000, I have an Oly C770 which I bought after I
got rid of my Canon G6. I have had several Canon digital cameras and have
always found myself making excuses for unsharp images "out of the camera".
A week ago I took some candits at a housewarming party, I used my Oly C770.
A few days later i saw the house owners and gave them some prints I got from
a "booth machine", they were overjoyed with the quality and made specific
comments about the sharpness. If you regard yourself as a photographer and
not a computer operator or a darkroom technician then stay away from Canon,
it will drive you mad.

Alan

<mailstarclipper@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone any views on the Olympus c7000. As a newbie to digital I
> have been advised to stay away from Olympus (although my Olympus OM1 is
> still going strong) and stick to Canon, Panasonic or Nikon.......
>
> Thanks
> Smokeyone

Anonymous
June 12, 2005 6:30:20 PM

mailstarclipper@btopenworld.com writes:

> Has anyone any views on the Olympus c7000. As a newbie to digital I
> have been advised to stay away from Olympus (although my Olympus OM1 is
> still going strong) and stick to Canon, Panasonic or Nikon.......

I don't know. I'm on my 4th Olympus camera (D-510Z, C-2100UZ, D-40Z, and now
E-1), and generally I feel they do generally do quite well. In particular, the
colors tend to be nice and striking. Like all cameras, there are things they
do better than others, and thing they do worse at. I haven't used the C-7000
myself, but I see it was reviewed in dpreview.com:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusc7000/

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org