First time builder...

26cj27

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
I got fed up with my laptop and decided to go out and build my own desktop. I went out and got:

ASUS P8Z 68-V LE Motherboard
SSD 64GB - Hard Drive (already have 2 TB of external hard drives)
500w - Power Supply
8GB (2x4GB) - RAMM
I5 CPU

I got everything plugged in correctly and i was able to get to the UEFI screen, then i put my Windows 7 Ultimate CD in and booted the drive, it installed and i was able to go to my desktop, when i restarted, it only goes to the UEFI screen and i can't seem to get out of it and start the computer like normal? I tried putting the CD in again figuring it might of not installed correctly and run a repair or something, but the SSD drive shows about 20 GB is taken (I believe Windows 7 takes about that much).

Like i said at the top, this is the first time i have ever built a computer from scratch and this is the first time i have ever seen the a UEFI screen.

My friend that helped me buy the parts from Fry's had told me that with the ASUS motherboards, they sometimes don't start with 2 DIMM slots filled and that i would have to take one out and start it after i install Windows...? Not sure why and he didn't really explain it to well to me (or i just didn't understand).

How do i get it to start to Windows?!

26cj27

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012

I have the SSD booting first. I even tried to manually boot the SSD from the UEFI screen but it just does a restart. When it restarts it flashes the ASUS main screen and if i don't press delete to go back to the UEFI screen, it restarts again back to the same screen...?

jerreddredd

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

things to check/do 1 at a time a check to see if the issue is solved:

re-seat all cables (remove and plug back in)
plug the SSD into another SATA slot. use another SATA cable also.
Remove all unnecessary perpetuals. GPU, extra HDD's sound cards. plug the monitor into the DVI/VGA port on the motherboard.
in UEFI go to reset to default and reset your bios settings. then go in and set the ones that need setting.
Verify the SSD in another system if you can (ie that you can access it and see the windows installation.
move you memory to banks 2 and 4 vice 1 and 3. also try just one stick in bank one.

also here is the THG new build troubleshooting guide link
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems