2.5 GHz (400 FSB, L2 cache:128KB) L2 enabled causes OS/PC to freeze

LarryII

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
Hi. If the L2 cache is enabled in the BIOS then Windows XP Pro freezes on the splash screen (the black one with the blue blocks running in a bar) as soon as it begins loading. (If L2 is disabled it loads and runs unacceptably slowly and jerkily).

How do I figure out if the L2 cache is faulty? Does Memtest86 V4.20 test it? (If so it doesn't report any errors). There is a Processor Diagnostics program on the Intel site but it requires Visual C, .Net, Java runtime and other stuff that would be painful to instal with the system as slow as it is.

Could XP Pro be at fault? (I shouldn't think so - it's the same CD installation I ran for years before the freezes began). Do you know of any XP settings I could investigate and/or "adjust"? Note: I've tried regedit : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\SecondLevelDataCache - (ie. the setting for the size of the L2 cache memory in Windows XP) set to 128 decimal (as the L2 cache is 128k) - but it didn't help (and then I read somewhere that this setting is ignored and XP uses all L2 cache available). Would be most grateful for any suggestions. Thank you.

TRENDING THREADS