Sign in with
Your question

6870 crossfire

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a c 214 U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 12:31:26 PM

After weeks of trying to deal with why i'm having such crossfire performance I'm on my last nerve.Basically the story is this...I get perfect scaling and performance when playing singleplayer in a number of games but whenever I play multiplayer my crossfire performance goes to crap.I've tried pingtest and speedtest and they both come back flawless.I've also installed the latest network driver for my mobo.

If anyone can shed some light of this please do.I really need help with this.

Also if someone could explain to me how the CPU and the network works and how it can cause stress for the CPU please explain.

More about : 6870 crossfire

January 18, 2012 12:38:31 PM

as long as your cpu can keep up with the information requeste by the 2 cards, its ok. if it cant, youll see the cpu maxed out, but the cards may not be. but as far as the network stressing the cpu, i could even begin to imagine what could cause that. (virus, malware?) now, what game are you having issues with? BF3 maybe? with my crossfire set up, i have to increase my northbridge volts in order to stablize my rig (x58), and work with driversweeper and ccc installs to find a sweet spot. what are you using to monitor your fps/cpu/gpu?

could you add a bit more info on your problems? also add your system specs
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 12:47:10 PM

Phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.8ghz
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
8GB DDR3 1333mhz
XFX 750watt
2x XFX 6870

I'm using the Task Manager for CPU usage and MSI Afterburner for GPU usage.The CPU usage for BF3 is 90%-95% and the GPU usage is 50% or less.CPU usage for Dirt 3 is 60%-80% and GPU usage is 60% or less.CPU usage for Homefront is 70% and GPU usage is 50% or less.

GPU usage in singleplayer for those games is flawless with 100% usage for both GPU's.But when it comes to multiplayer scaling just goes to crap.
m
l
Related resources
January 18, 2012 1:18:09 PM

My processor is a 1055T, with 5850 crossfire and AMD processors are major bottlenecks. You will need to OC more or upgrade.

The multiplayer part of it is more is going on and the cpu has more to do.

Also this sounds weird, but I have been playing around with underclocking my cards. Currently underclocking them to 400-500MHZ and OC memory to 1200 gives me a few more frames.

Only an 2500K OCED to 4+GHZ can pull these cards on most games.
m
l
January 18, 2012 1:25:32 PM

chaos, i dont think thats totally correct. and the comment on the 2500k is way off also imo.

OP, i cant speak for the other games, save bf3. (even my stock i7 920 could pull the 5870's) i had to safe mode+driversweeper, and install the newer 12.1 preview drivers, i also set my textures to medium, this worked wonders.
m
l
January 18, 2012 1:57:48 PM

Wow I feel sheepish. I had no clue they were that bad in multi house set up.

Op, sell a card off?
m
l
January 18, 2012 2:21:30 PM

Maybe it's just your settings?

Setting the mip map slider lower can help, if you look at the detail box for 1080p because the resolution is already higher, there is no difference between the first few top settings.
Set vsync to on so the fps are capped at your display's refresh rate. Sometimes the cpu gets a break and runs smoother.
You don't need more than 4xaa/af in most games it looks the same as 16aa/af.

Is the Catalyst A.I. set to standard? It wont work right if its set to advanced when running crossfire.
m
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 2:57:20 PM

You're going to have to turn down some of the more CPU intensive options.
m
l
January 18, 2012 3:12:14 PM

purple stank said:
After weeks of trying to deal with why i'm having such crossfire performance I'm on my last nerve.Basically the story is this...I get perfect scaling and performance when playing singleplayer in a number of games but whenever I play multiplayer my crossfire performance goes to crap.I've tried pingtest and speedtest and they both come back flawless.I've also installed the latest network driver for my mobo.

Also if someone could explain to me how the CPU and the network works and how it can cause stress for the CPU please explain.

If a 7970 plays just fine on any modern quad core I think you should be alright but it does say something in the article I will inclose the link to about CPU scaling and Online unit rendering etc and how it affects performance and hits the CPU but I was fine you should be to but I always play with V-Synch at 60hz refresh which is all you need for a perfect game play experience.
m
l
January 18, 2012 3:12:35 PM

purple stank said:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-7970-cpu-scalin...
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 3:54:47 PM

megamanx00 said:
You're going to have to turn down some of the more CPU intensive options.

What settings are more CPU intensive?
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 4:03:54 PM

Quote:
I do need to make a note here as especially for BF3 it counts, this is a single player benchmark test. In massive online environment your CPU will become increasingly more important and stressed much worse. However, of we purely focus on the graphics engine versus the processors used, the difference remains rather small.

Yes I see that but by how much and is my processor truly holding back this crossfire setup and how exactly?

It just seems theirs no straight answers in this "realm" of crossfire problems/complications.People are saying it's the CPU others are not.Some say it's a network problem and others are saying it's a VRAM issue.

If it is a CPU bottleneck,I have a AM3+ mobo so with AMD not bringing anything to the table processor wise I'm pretty much screwed.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 4:22:48 PM

@purp stank

Im sure you have heard my bitching on here before about similar problems in a similar system to yours...

welp as you probably already know I had to ditch my 6870s in crossfire bc the performance overall was absolute shitte...

now running SLi gtx 560tis there are absolutely zero problems...

AMD mid CFX solutions are just crap

I found that the 955 even when oc'ed is just not enough overhead to power 6870s in some games, it all depends on the gpu/cpu demands of the game to begin with...

After much tweaking I was fed up and made a change...

I hate to sound pessimistic but honestly who wants to spend nearly $400 on gpus to have them perform generally worse then its single card configuration counterpart...

not to mention lower minimums fps and all the specific minute problems that I experienced...

you may not agree with me or believe it yet but im singing the same old song that I have been for a while now...

m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 4:25:27 PM

I doubt its vram bc in bf3 I can run maxed out gfx with 8xmsaa @ 1200p with 60+fps with my 1 gb gtx 560ti SLi... also you CPU should be adequate to run the game (but perhaps does not have the overhead to properly deal with dual 6870s)
m
l
January 18, 2012 4:28:58 PM

jjb8675309 said:
@purp stank

Im sure you have heard my bitching on here before about similar problems in a similar system to yours...

welp as you probably already know I had to ditch my 6870s in crossfire bc the performance overall was absolute shitte...

now running SLi gtx 560tis there are absolutely zero problems...

AMD mid CFX solutions are just crap

I found that the 955 even when oc'ed is just not enough overhead to power 6870s in some games, it all depends on the gpu/cpu demands of the game to begin with...

After much tweaking I was fed up and made a change...

I hate to sound pessimistic but honestly who wants to spend nearly $400 on gpus to have them perform generally worse then its single card configuration counterpart...

not to mention lower minimums fps and all the specific minute problems that I experienced...

you may not agree with me or believe it yet but im singing the same old song that I have been for a while now...

Funny cause 955 has plenty of power to run 60fps is any game depending on if you have the GPU firepower to drive it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 4:34:39 PM

@GordonFreeman (seriously dont ruin this legendary character) :) 

wrong, I just went from a 955 @ 4.0ghz and the difference between it and my i52500k is night and day... even with only a single gtx 560ti

look at skyrim for example (yes I know demanding) you will not get above 40ish fps with a 955 at max settings, no matter what gpu u have... there are plenty of other examples out there of the 955 becoming a bottleneck way before the gpu(s) are

of course all this debate is all game specific

check this article out, it does not have a 955 in the analysis but you get the picture:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7970_CPU_Scal...

the 955 is fine (by fine I mean able to achieve 60+fps) for maybe 85% of games out there but if your looking for max graphics or trying to run a crossfire (6870) setup its going to be a huge fail

I speak from personal experience I have owned both p2 955 and i52500k also I have had 6870 crossfire with my 955 and it was miserable so Im not making this up these have been my experiences plain and simple.

Im not bashing the 955 it is a great chip but for high end graphics solutions the (especially SLi and Cfx) practically require an i5 to run without a hitch imo

again when I upgraded the difference in gaming performance and overall performance was night and day..

take it or leave it that is my 2 cents/qualifications for thinking so
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 4:38:33 PM

Gordon Freeman said:
Funny cause 955 has plenty of power to run 60fps is any game depending on if you have the GPU firepower to drive it.

also take note that my dissection started with "@Purp Stank"
m
l
January 18, 2012 5:00:15 PM

jjb8675309 said:
also take note that my dissection started with "@Purp Stank"

also take note your in a public Forum lol.
m
l
January 18, 2012 5:01:06 PM

jjb8675309 said:

wrong, I just went from a 955 @ 4.0ghz and the difference between it and my i52500k is night and day... even with only a single gtx 560ti

look at skyrim for example (yes I know demanding) you will not get above 40ish fps with a 955 at max settings, no matter what gpu u have... there are plenty of other examples out there of the 955 becoming a bottleneck way before the gpu(s) are

check this article out, it does not have a 955 in the analysis but you get the picture:

the 955 is fine (by fine I mean able to achieve 60+fps) for maybe 85% of games out there but if your looking for max graphics or trying to run a crossfire (6870) setup its going to be a huge fail

I speak from personal experience I have owned both p2 955 and i52500k also I have had 6870 crossfire with my 955 and it was miserable so Im not making this up these have been my experiences plain and simple.

Im not bashing the 955 it is a great chip but for high end graphics solutions the (especially SLi and Cfx) practically require an i5 to run without a hitch imo

again when I upgraded the difference in gaming performance and overall performance was night and day..

1 game outta a 1000
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 5:06:41 PM

What are some of the settings that are more CPU reliant that I can turn down to see if it improves?
m
l
January 18, 2012 5:08:08 PM

jjb8675309 said:

If I dont have any trouble running games maxed out with a 955 and an Athlon X4 640 hasn't any trouble pushing a 7970 then what gives is fanbouism on your end here is a link. http://www.guru3d.com/article/rade [...] ce-review/
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 5:09:32 PM

You guys aren't getting it I think.I'm talking about multiplayer performance.Singleplayer runs just fine.I have no gripes about that.It's the multiplayer is where performance is lacking.I just want to know why....
m
l
January 18, 2012 5:11:53 PM

purple stank said:
What are some of the settings that are more CPU reliant that I can turn down to see if it improves?

It's real hard to pin point what your problem is if I am not there but do you have tons of background programs running when gaming do you shut them off and only use what you need to run the game ? This can slow a system down.
m
l
January 18, 2012 5:15:06 PM

purple stank said:
You guys aren't getting it I think.I'm talking about multiplayer performance.Singleplayer runs just fine.I have no gripes about that.It's the multiplayer is where performance is lacking.I just want to know why....

I posted you and article that states that any modern X4 CPU will game just fine and even drive a 7970 no problem but when online and the number off on screen characters rises so does the amount to CPU load for example even WoW takes allot of CPU power to maintain at leased 60fps in Raids and other high traffic areas etc.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 5:33:01 PM

Background programs do you mean process's? I've got roughly 60 process's running when I play.

If you think it would help please tell me which ones to clean up.How much could I gain from it?
m
l
January 18, 2012 5:42:01 PM

purple stank said:
Background programs do you mean process's? I've got roughly 60 process's running when I play.

]http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4219/54026940.jpg

If you think it would help please tell me which ones to clean up.How much could I gain from it?

Go to task manager Ctrl,Shift,Esc Select Processes tab and then in the processes tab select User Name and the only processes that need to be running are Explorer and the game you want to run and Steam if that's where your game is. Try this and lets us know if it helps with your problem any.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 7:44:48 PM

Didn't see a difference.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 7:51:49 PM

Do you guys think I will see much of an improvement if I upgrade to a 1090T? Or would it be more wise to wait for Piledriver or a Bulldozer stepping?
m
l
January 18, 2012 8:13:37 PM

Take one card out and play game.
Let see what happen.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 9:17:53 PM

The one card max's out.100% usage.As I said before when they are in crossfire they half the workload so that each card is 50%-60% each.I actually get worse performance with crossfire than a single card.It's just very frustrating because I'm not getting the performance I thought it would be.What's even more frustrating is that they work fine in singleplayer.
m
l
January 18, 2012 9:46:09 PM

purple stank said:
Do you guys think I will see much of an improvement if I upgrade to a 1090T? Or would it be more wise to wait for Piledriver or a Bulldozer stepping?

On the 1090T well your better off with a Deneb because Deneb was the best out of the Phenom II everything especially gaming. Thuban 1090T is a weaker Deneb in fact they are the same CPU Thuban just has two cores slapped on but Thuban needs two cores disable to reach the same max potential on a Deneb Phenom II x4. In my experience from 3.6ghz to 4.0ghz Deneb chips don't really get much stronger however I have only tested a x4 B55 perhaps your 965 will respond better.
m
l
January 18, 2012 9:49:41 PM

purple stank said:
Phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.8ghz
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
8GB DDR3 1333mhz
XFX 750watt
2x XFX 6870

I'm using the Task Manager for CPU usage and MSI Afterburner for GPU usage.The CPU usage for BF3 is 90%-95% and the GPU usage is 50% or less.CPU usage for Dirt 3 is 60%-80% and GPU usage is 60% or less.CPU usage for Homefront is 70% and GPU usage is 50% or less.

GPU usage in singleplayer for those games is flawless with 100% usage for both GPU's.But when it comes to multiplayer scaling just goes to crap.

If you attaining 60fps whats the problem.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 11:39:44 PM

Gordon Freeman said:
In my experience from 3.6ghz to 4.0ghz Deneb chips don't really get much stronger however I have only tested a x4 B55 perhaps your 965 will respond better.

I would say that's pretty much true there was diminishing return imo after around 3.6ghz or in my case I found 3.8ghz seemed to be the sweet spot on my 955
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 11:47:30 PM

Well I O.C.'d from 3.8ghz to 4ghz as a what the hell it couldn't get any worse type of thing and it seemed to helped a bit.But for some reason i'm getting more usage from the cards having it on ultra than on high.Seems strange.I'm still playing with the settings currently.
m
l
January 19, 2012 12:01:43 AM

the people here stating that an AMD 965 or equivalent are a bottleneck are correct. I recently just built a brand spanking new 2500k setup and its night and day. AMD is OLD architecture are cannot handle the multi gpu setup, take it from the people that had one and not a fanboy. I'm still using my AMD card but new processor mobo ram SSD and bam max frames. Realize AMD is out for CPU for now. Get a 2500k and be damn happy like myself and the other posters.
m
l
January 19, 2012 12:03:56 AM

purple stank said:
Well I O.C.'d from 3.8ghz to 4ghz as a what the hell it couldn't get any worse type of thing and it seemed to helped a bit.But for some reason i'm getting more usage from the cards having it on ultra than on high.Seems strange.I'm still playing with the settings currently.

Ultra Textures and lighting settings will put more load onto the GPUs and increased AA/AF puts more load onto the CPU another way you could go about it is to increase your resolution ether by going Eyefinity or getting a 2560x1600/1440 res monitor this will also move the bottleneck from your CPU onto the GPUs.
m
l
January 19, 2012 12:07:04 AM

undercovernerd6 said:
the people here stating that an AMD 965 or equivalent are a bottleneck are correct. I recently just built a brand spanking new 2500k setup and its night and day. AMD is OLD architecture are cannot handle the multi gpu setup, take it from the people that had one and not a fanboy. I'm still using my AMD card but new processor mobo ram SSD and bam max frames. Realize AMD is out for CPU for now. Get a 2500k and be damn happy like myself and the other posters.

Well you are wrong even a 7970 runs fine on an Athlon x4 640 its a GPU that runs games not CPU only the crappy coded console ported games run like poop. http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-7970-cpu-scalin...
m
l
January 19, 2012 1:13:10 AM

30fps buddy on the same gpu durrrrr
m
l
January 19, 2012 1:19:01 AM

undercovernerd6 said:
since you think UR right and UR wrong http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/102?vs=288 read up

That does not even tell you the GPU used Genius all it is is CPU games need a GPU to run they could have used a GTS 250 for all we know in that unsubstantiated bar graph.
m
l
January 19, 2012 1:28:51 AM

I love an argument when I have 3 computers in my livingroom and you think some AMD bull what CPU number is going to count. I have a 965 and I have a 2500k its not the same its vastly different if that chart doesn't say it wtf else will the 2500k give big fps increase because it does not bottleneck the gpu enough said
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2012 2:35:25 AM

this article says it all imo being that 6870 crossfire should be darn close to a 7970 in terms of raw power...

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews [...] U_Scaling/

I have also had deneb and now sandy bridge and can agree that in some games the differences are night and day
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
January 19, 2012 8:21:26 PM

Think i'm gonna return this stuff and wait for Ivy Bridge.This means I'll loose a 6870 but I'm sure once the new cards start coming out I'll find another one for cheap.Something like what happened with the 5850.They were extremely cheap when the 6870 came out.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2012 8:29:03 PM

sounds like a good plan; if your not getting the performance that you paid for then save your money for IB.

Beyond the CPU deficiencies I would be very skeptical to try 6870 crossfire on any platform, and for that matter I will not personally do so ever again as I had in the past...

...but you are right, you might find one cheap, and it might be a case of just needing more cpu overhead to manage two cards and utilize them to potential...

at least that is what I found with switching from oc'ed 955 to i52500k
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
January 19, 2012 8:35:02 PM

Well I had no problems with the 6870 crossfire itself.No mico-stuttering or anything.They seemed to work fine beyond the fact that some games don't support multi-gpu setups or the processor was bottlenecking them.So I think I will get another one and run a 6870 crossfire again someday.

And I think the second round of PCI-E 3.0 cards is where they will start to actually utilize the PCI-E 3.0 slot.So that's when I will upgrade to a new GPU.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2012 10:17:31 PM

cool, have fun with your upgrades sorry that the Deneb has let you down a bit...
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
January 19, 2012 10:33:26 PM

Not your fault.Just AMD's.I mean i'm fine with the Phenom not being able to keep up anymore because it is a very old processor by today's standards.It's just that AMD doesn't offer anything as a viable upgrade right now.

How long do you thing a 965 will last at 1.55 volts? I know that's the max volts AMD says but i'm curious as to how long it can live at those volts.
m
l
!