My Deneb Is Running WAY TOO Hot, Help Please?

Satvik

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
Hello everyone. I just got my Deneb yesterday, and installed today.

It is the AMD Phenom II x4 965, and upgraded from Callisto. It is at 1.475v and I underclocked it to 3.2 Ghz until I get this whole situation figured out.

The reason why I'm extremely concerned here is that it idles at 45c, but I have the H80 running. I'm wondering if I probably got the thermal paste (Arctic Silver 5) put on wrong with air pockets or just improperly placed. It seems that higher idling is company to more cores, which I understand, but I see people who have aftermarket heatsinks that get way better temps then what I'm getting.

The CPU is in a HAF 912, and there are 3 fans installed, along with the two fans I'm using for the H80. I'm going to lower the voltage to 1.35, and I've already turned off the Cool 'n' Quiet. Thanks.

What kind of temperatures are you getting now that you've lowered the voltage? That 1.475v is EXTREMELY high for those clocks.

My X4 955 @ 3.8Ghz is using 1.45, much less at 3.2Ghz (stock for mine)...I think it used around 1.375v.

1.35v is the stock for the 965, or well the 1 messed with was which was the same for my 940. Try to set it at 3.4ghz and at 1.35v, and see if she will run cooler. it should be able to handle 3.6ghz at stock volts or close to it.

Also 1.47v the Corsair h80 should handle it, my h60 handled my 940 3.81ghz at 1.51v. Make sure that your pump is getting 100% power, If you have 2 plug the pump into a molex adapter and see if temps change, The fans can be at different speeds for a quiet system, but you always want the pump at 100% power.

Check the thermal compound and make sure that you didn't use to much, What I do is put a small drop of AS5 in the middle of the CPU and spread it out with a card or something, sometimes I just screw my h100 down and the pressure will do that as well. And make sure the Thumb screws is not to loose on the h80.

Satvik

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
I tried lowering the voltage to 1.35v, but my motherboard was telling me "Not Recommended." I thought that the motherboard would know better about safe voltages than me, so what I ended up doing was selecting Cool 'n' Quiet as "Enabled." I'm afraid that if I lower the voltages into the "Not Recommended" zone, I'll really screw up something.

I now have 38c as an idle temperature on start-up. Currently, I'm thinking that the compound may have something to do with it here, so tomorrow-ish I'll probably open up the rig again and reapply. The H80 is a real pain sometimes, and thanks for the advice.

I'll post again tomorrow with my results.

1.35v the CPU should handle without a problem, On stock that is. I looked it up and some ppl were getting 3.4ghz at 1.32v, and some were at 1.35v, and others were at 1.37v for stock vcore at 3.4ghz. Set it to 1.35v and see if she will boot and where temps will set at. If the mobo doesn't like 1.35v, all the will happen is it will either freeze during boot up or it will blue screen and restart, If that happens set the vcore back.

All the Deneb cores run at 1.3x volts, Even the x6 Thubans run in that range. My 1100T at stock vcore (without turbo) runs at 1.32v on this board. at 1.47v is way to much at stock for a Phenom II chip, 1.47v is around what you would need to hit 4ghz on that 965.

If you look closely at my OC on my old Phenom II x4 940 deneb core Pic is kinda small), You can see that I only needed 1.456v to run at 3.81ghz (I didn't update the bios on the 790fx board at that time) so your 965 is much newer and should need less vcore to hit 3.8ghz. so in other words your 1.47v is way to much for stock 3.4v.

http://i36.tinypic.com/5mz6zl.jpg

Thought I would just post this to further prove my point. Anyway good luck and hope you fix your problem.

Satvik

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
Everyone, thank you all for replying.

What I ended up doing was cleaning and reapplying Arctic Silver 5, and then I "Enabled" Cool 'n' Quiet, which is managing my voltage handily.

At start up, I get anywhere from 1.088v to 1.201v, which I find great since my temperatures now are hovering at 30-33c. I'm planning on overclocking in about a week or so, since apparently thermal compound has a "burn-in" period (this is news to me), and has reportedly lowered temperatures from 3-6 degrees Celsius.

I'm pleased currently with the set-up, and I'm going to look more into voltages, and my motherboard's "Not Recommended" response to undervolting. Thanks for replying within a day! :D

Yeah, well you will run into the same problems again down the road tho, might not, but when you start OC the 965 to around 4ghz, you will find cool n quiet might be a stability problem, even Speed Spectrum, you want to disable all that, and then modify the clocks, which your board will more then likely say its not recommended. But either way, good to know that your problem is solved for the time being!