Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Am I missing anything?

Last response: in Systems
March 24, 2012 9:15:06 AM

Hi guys! Firstly, I want to say that this is my first post and I am for the most part a complete n00b when it comes to building computers. This will be the first rig I build.

I am about to purchase these items on newegg and I wanted to make sure I had everything I need to get it up and running.

Things to consider: I'm not planning on getting a sound card. I already have a Windows 7 disk so I will not be purchasing an operating system. I don't plan on doing any overclocking.

I am open to suggestions that might cut costs while giving me comparable/better performance on games (likely running lots of BF3 and SC2). I'm not planning on going crazy with eyefinity nor do I plan on doing 3d gaming (therefore I'm neutral to nVidia and AMD) but I do plan on having a monitor of at least 24" running at least 1080p (likely a higher resolution). I'm also open to suggestions if something in the list isn't compatible with other parts.

Also, I want to say thank you in advance for the replies!

Case:
Antec Eleven Hundred Black Super Mid Tower Computer

Power Supply:
Corsair Professional Series HX1050 1050W ATX23V/EPS12V SLY Ready Crossfire Ready

CPU:
Intel Core i7-2600 3.4GHz (3.8 GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

Motherboard:
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel mobo with UEFI BIOS

Ram:
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600

GPU:
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7950 3GB (OC Version)

HDD:
Western Digital Caviar Blue wd5000aakx 500gb 7200rpm sata 6.0 gb/s 3.5" internal -bare drive

Optical Drive:
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS sata 24x dvd burner

Fans:
5 x Rosewill RFA-120-BL 120mm 4 Blue LEDs Case Fan

Okay...that's a long list. Anyways, that's what my cart currently looks like and the grand total is $1725.68 (subtotal is $1570.06).

Anyways, thanks again and sorry if it seems like a long post! :D 

More about : missing

a b B Homebuilt system
March 24, 2012 9:35:47 AM

oxnardandy said:
Hi guys! Firstly, I want to say that this is my first post and I am for the most part a complete n00b when it comes to building computers. This will be the first rig I build.

I am about to purchase these items on newegg and I wanted to make sure I had everything I need to get it up and running.

Things to consider: I'm not planning on getting a sound card. I already have a Windows 7 disk so I will not be purchasing an operating system. I don't plan on doing any overclocking.

I am open to suggestions that might cut costs while giving me comparable/better performance on games (likely running lots of BF3 and SC2). I'm not planning on going crazy with eyefinity nor do I plan on doing 3d gaming (therefore I'm neutral to nVidia and AMD) but I do plan on having a monitor of at least 24" running at least 1080p (likely a higher resolution). I'm also open to suggestions if something in the list isn't compatible with other parts.

Also, I want to say thank you in advance for the replies!

Case:
Antec Eleven Hundred Black Super Mid Tower Computer

Power Supply:
Corsair Professional Series HX1050 1050W ATX23V/EPS12V SLY Ready Crossfire Ready

CPU:
Intel Core i7-2600 3.4GHz (3.8 GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

Motherboard:
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel mobo with UEFI BIOS

Ram:
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600

GPU:
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7950 3GB (OC Version)

HDD:
Western Digital Caviar Blue wd5000aakx 500gb 7200rpm sata 6.0 gb/s 3.5" internal -bare drive

Optical Drive:
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS sata 24x dvd burner

Fans:
5 x Rosewill RFA-120-BL 120mm 4 Blue LEDs Case Fan

Okay...that's a long list. Anyways, that's what my cart currently looks like and the grand total is $1725.68 (subtotal is $1570.06).

Anyways, thanks again and sorry if it seems like a long post! :D 

Looks pretty good to me...16GB of RAM is overkill, though. I'd also look at whether you need that many fans..
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
March 24, 2012 9:35:52 AM

Are you planning to add another card in crossfire? that PSU is totally overkill if you only want a single card. It would actually be overkill for two cards...

the 2600 is also kind of unnecessary, and i would stick with the 2500k unless you do a lot of encoding.
the other choices are all excellent though. I'd say cut back to 8gb of RAM which is still more than you will need for a while to come. and how much are you paying for the case? the eleven hundred is good, but usually overpriced for the features it offers.

I would highly recommend getting a cheap CPU cooler though. You are already getting a large case with lots of fans. and the intel CPUs are really painless to overclock. its something you may feel comfortable to try in the future, at which point the small investment in a hyper 212+ will be well worth it for the extra performance you can get from the chip.

Related resources
March 24, 2012 9:59:53 AM

Hey! Thank you for the replies!

@ clarkkjd: I read the case has space for 7 fans, 2 are pre-installed. The reason I plan on getting so many fans is because my current pc runs a little hot (i960 @3.2ghz using asetek integrated liquid cooling, amd hd 5970 with stock fans at stock clocks, 9GB ram, and an 875W psu). I think the reason it may get warm is that it is a midAtx. either way, it crashes everytime i try an overclock the 5970 even with all the tools used and voltages modified (i try to OC it to 5870 speeds...is that so much to ask??). i blame either the heat or the psu (it's a dell psu so i think it's probably cr@p anyway). I wouldn't really be building this pc but my brother decided to take my current one to college and i need one for myself now.

@welshmousepk
I went ahead and applied the changes you suggested and yes, you definitely saved me $100! :-D
Thinking about it, the 2500k would suffice, given that the 2600 isn't that big a jump in numbers (not worth the $80 difference at least...). The case is at $119.99 at newegg. Again, I just want to avoid heating issues I ran into with my current (soon to be last) computer. I also did change it to 8gb ram, which, i agree, is more than needed considering there won't be any eyefinity or 3d gaming going on. As for CF, I think I'll get another one of those cards when the prices drop more (by then there will hopefully be games that need more power anyway).

Thanks! =D
m
l
March 24, 2012 7:20:21 PM

Best answer selected by oxnardandy.
m
l
!