Sign in with
Your question

Best sound card for music & movies only

Last response: in Components
July 7, 2012 10:12:32 PM

Hello

I am looking to purchase a sound card & looking for the best one for music & movies only. I am not a gamer at all.

Any suggestions ?

Thank you
Jeff
July 7, 2012 10:23:21 PM

what is your budget for this sound card?
m
l
July 7, 2012 10:28:52 PM

I dont care about cost, just want the best.

Thank you
Jeff
m
l
Related resources
July 7, 2012 10:42:59 PM

janteby said:
I dont care about cost, just want the best.

Thank you
Jeff

if price is absolutely no object the best would probably be a HT omega 2 a MASSIVE $184 price tag.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

on they other hand for alot less and slightly lower performance you can get an Asus Xonar with a reasonable price tag of $44

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

to be honest though anything in the below list should sound great in movies if you have good speakers. i would keep to name brand though like creative, asus, or HT

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
m
l
July 8, 2012 2:34:12 AM

Hi rinval

Thank you so much for all your help !

I am going to go with the HT omega 2

I am not an Audiophile but I love good sound, it does make a difference as I am sure you agree.

Thanks again
Jeff

m
l
July 8, 2012 2:51:25 AM

your very welcome :) 
m
l
July 8, 2012 6:18:32 AM

The Claro II is basically HT Omega's answer to the ASUS Xonar Xense.

The top card on the market, bar none, is the ASUS Xonar Essence ST(X). The HT Omega Claro II/Auzentech Home Theatre HD/ASUS Xonar Xense occupy the tier directly below the STX.
m
l
July 12, 2012 2:53:56 PM

gamerk316 said:
The Claro II is basically HT Omega's answer to the ASUS Xonar Xense.

The top card on the market, bar none, is the ASUS Xonar Essence ST(X). The HT Omega Claro II/Auzentech Home Theatre HD/ASUS Xonar Xense occupy the tier directly below the STX.

I agree. If you want the ultimate experience, and have the equipment to profit from it, go with the Asus Xonar Essence STX (200-250$).
I bought one about a month ago and I was really awed by the clarity of the sound it produces. Asus makes the best soundcards in my book.
m
l
July 14, 2012 3:11:54 PM

Hello again

Just out of curiosity, what about the new ASUS Xonar Phoebus, is that supposed to be Asus top of the line card ?

Is it better than the Claro II & the ASUS Xonar Essence STX ?

Thank you
Jeff
m
l
July 15, 2012 1:06:30 AM

janteby said:
Hello again

Just out of curiosity, what about the new ASUS Xonar Phoebus, is that supposed to be Asus top of the line card ?

Is it better than the Claro II & the ASUS Xonar Essence STX ?

Thank you
Jeff

It depends to what you compare it. For games, I think the Phoebus is better. As for the overall performance (games, music, movies, etc) the Essence STX is still the way to go, even though it's 3½ years old.

Good listening ! :-)
al360ex
m
l
July 15, 2012 4:52:10 PM

Hello

Thank you for the responses.

I now have question about a good headphone to buy.

In this case it doesnt have to be the best, but I would like to have one that is again good for Movies & Music, again no PC Gaming.

I would like it to be
- Wireless (even if it means a slight loss in Audio quality)
- have a Mic.
- Can be used with Playstation 3

Budget I dont care about.

Thanks again
Jeff
m
l
July 15, 2012 6:29:53 PM

janteby said:
I would like to have one that is again good for Movies & Music, again no PC Gaming.

I would like it to be
- Wireless (even if it means a slight loss in Audio quality)
- have a Mic.
- Can be used with Playstation 3

First off, if you want a Mic, then you must look for a Headset, not Headphones.
Also, just so you know, headsets are usually made specifically for gaming.

You could take a look at the Corsair Vengeance 2000, I've heard good things about them. These are made specifically for gaming. They are also a USB Headset, so they won't be controlled by your sound card.

You could also take a look at what Sennheiser has to offer in terms of Wireless Headsets.

If you want High-End Headphones (so-called "Audiophiles" headphones), you should take a look at Sennheiser's HD series of Headphones. In my opinion they are the best the industry has to offer.

You should also know that in order to work with the PS3, you MUST have a USB headset, not one you plug through your sound card (so then what is the point of buying a sound card ?) when you use it with your PC.
Also, only Sony's official USB headset for the PS3 is able to transmit game audio. Any other headset will only transmit chat audio. You'll be able to talk to other players, but that's all. You won't hear the game audio in your headset, you'll hear it through your TV speakers.

al360ex
m
l
July 16, 2012 4:29:59 PM

Hi al360ex

Thank you for the reply & good info.

I didnt know that about the PS3.

I can live without something for the PS3, I dont use it that often anyway.

Yes, I also heard good things about Sennheiser so I will look into something from them

Thanks again
Jeff
m
l
July 16, 2012 5:14:44 PM

1: Wireless headsets, which ALWAYS use USB, will not interact with teh soundcard in any way.

2: For much the same reason, you won't be able to connect most headsets to both the PC and the PS3. If you use optical, you CAN, but be aware of SPDIF format limitations.

3: Best bet when it comes to using a mic is to get a good set of headphones, and a $5 clip on mic. Most PC headsets are horrid outside of gaming use, as they are tuned only toward audio frequencies used in gaming. They sound horrid in movies/music.
m
l
July 25, 2012 6:50:23 PM

I love Asus products. I have an Asus motherboard, 3-24in Asus monitors, 2-Asus DVD burners, Asus BluRay burner, Asus over clocking station, Asus notebook, Asus netbook and more but, when it comes to sound cards I buy HT l Omega.

like "rinval" I also recommend HT l Omega for the best possible sound.

I recommend the HT | OMEGA CLARO II if you intend to use a PCI slot and a HT l Omega HT | OMEGA eCLARO if you intend to use a PCIe slot. Don't let the size of the eClaro fool you this is a top notch sound card.

Besides the excellent quality of these cards some other reasons I choose these over Asus are:
1.) With the exception of Asus's new Phoebus all of Asus's top offerings lack analog 5.1 connectivity. If you ever think you may want 5.1 and you also want quality 5.1, analog is what you need.

2.) HT l Omega has far less driver issues than Asus. On Newegg 4 of the 5 HT l Omega cards have 5 egg reviews. Only HT l Omega's cheapest card has less (4 eggs). Of Asus's 11 internal sound cards only one has a 5 egg review. Their newest card and one that I'd really like to like (the Phoebus) only has 3 out of 5 eggs.

When it comes to sound cards both HT l Omega and Asus make excellent hardware but, if you read the reviews, driver issues are the biggest reason Asus loses to HT l Omega in the Newegg ratings.
m
l
October 23, 2013 9:59:20 AM

I am a sound card freak and I have tested almost everything on the international market. WAV10 SE300 is the best sound card on the planet. It makes top of the line ASUS and Creative products sounds like amature.
I use it on all my system together with NPF filters from PROTOUR and they sound good!
m
l
!