Help me figure out what CPU to choose...

SacredTomba

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
Okay, I know a decent bit about processors, but what I really want to know is if the 100 dollars is worth the cost.

I'm a gamer and a youtuber, so I want to know if the i7 is really worth the extra cash just for hyperthreading in videos, or if the i5 can handle it just a bit slower, which would be fine with me if its only a minute or two slower.

I'm looking at either the i7-3770 (not K), or the 3570K, which then I'll overclock it to make it render faster. I figure if I have the hyperthreading, overclocking it will be a little overkill...

If all you are going is playing games and watching youtube video's than the I5 is fine. You are paying an extra 100 dollars for extra cache and hyperthreading, two things games aren't going to make use of.Now if you plan on doing heavily threaded programs along with gaming like video editing, encoding and stuff like that then you would be better off with the I7.

SacredTomba

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012

probably should have said this, but I render at least one 720p video daily currently. I just want to know if its worth the extra 100 dollars, or if I should save and put it into a better GPU as I also game.

SacredTomba

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012

If I got the i7, probably the 560 TI and later get another one to SLI.
If I got the i5, the GTX 670.