July 8, 2012 2:07:12 AM

Hello all, I am currently running:

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H motherboard
Intel i5-3570k w/ stock cooler
8gb (2x 4gb) Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 ram
netgear wg311v3 wlan card
standard hard drive
2 case fans
(dvd/rw drive, tho its not needed now that windows is on it)

I believe my current power supply is 420 W. Everything is working perfectly fine, and nothing is overclocked.

My friend has given me a graphics card to use instead of the i5's integrated until I buy a real one later on.

Its a EVGA Geforce GTX 275. Will my current power supply be enough to run it? If not, how much would I need?

I just need a fast cheap fix for now to run that card, I plan to add a lot to this skeleton in the future.

More about : power

a b ) Power supply
July 8, 2012 2:28:02 AM

220W for the GPU, ~120W for everything else so yes, 420W should be enough assuming the PSU is of reasonably good quality with adequate power distribution and still in good shape.

If your PSU does not have dual PCIe power connectors though (I doubt it has more than one), it likely will be short on 12V rail current rating. For your setup, you would be looking at 30A on the 12V rail, 35A to be safe.
m
l
Related resources
July 8, 2012 4:28:37 AM

Recently while building a case, I was asking for a ~460W PSU, and was told it will work tho I should get a higher wattage as PSUs "wear out" and wattage will reduce eventually not able to power your system. Need confirmation tho ...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 8, 2012 4:42:30 AM

jiewmeng said:
was told it will work tho I should get a higher wattage as PSUs "wear out" and wattage will reduce eventually not able to power your system.

Higher quality PSUs will hold up to their original specs longer than cheap PSUs that often fail to meet their specs even out-of-the-box, never mind years down the road.

What usually ends up killing PSUs is output capacitor aging and higher output PSUs usually have more and/or better output capacitors that should allow them to last longer so between two PSUs of similar build quality, higher output models *should* have better service life for a given load.
m
l
July 8, 2012 4:53:23 AM

I looked at the sticker on the power supply, it says:

thermaltake purepower W0008
HPC-420-302 DF
m
l
a c 110 ) Power supply
July 8, 2012 4:56:22 AM

I wouldn't trust it, it's from 2008.

Quote:
Our conclusion is pretty simple: don’t buy this power supply. If you are on budget and are looking for a cheap power supply on the 450 W range for your entry-level PC, Kingwin ABT-450MM is a better option.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-Pure...

HEC isn't one of the better OEM's either....
m
l
July 8, 2012 5:10:45 AM

yea its from a really old build :D  it just happens to be the strongest working one I have lying around.

So, it won't work and I should wait til I can get a better power supply to plug in the card?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 8, 2012 5:17:40 AM

conclave said:
So, it won't work and I should wait til I can get a better power supply to plug in the card?

The HEC PSU only has 216W power rating on the two 12V rails combined while the GTX275 alone needs almost 220W, which leaves nothing for the CPU's ATX12V or anything else 12V in your PC.

If you put that in, your PC might boot but you would almost certainly end up tripping the over-current protection (or blow it up) soon after you start a 3D application/game.
m
l
July 8, 2012 5:30:27 AM

what is a good power supply you would suggest that would run all this? gonna try to make some cash and buy one next couple days. under 100 would be cool :D 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 8, 2012 5:53:11 AM

In the Antec EarthWatt series, the smallest unit with dual PCIe power connector is the EA-500 and costs ~$80. The EA-500 is based on a Seasonic OEM design which are generally considered as pretty good.

PSUs of comparable rating and quality from other vendors (including Seasonic themselves) are also priced in the neighborhood of $80.
m
l
July 19, 2012 7:52:53 PM

the Earthwatt is selling for $70

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Was looking around, how do these compare?

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular , $50 after rebate

Antec BP550 Plus 550W for $65

this ones only $40

I will be buying it this weekend/next week I think. Thanks for all the help so far!
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
July 19, 2012 8:16:30 PM

InvalidError said:
In the Antec EarthWatt series, the smallest unit with dual PCIe power connector is the EA-500 and costs ~$80. The EA-500 is based on a Seasonic OEM design which are generally considered as pretty good.

Kind of late , sorry
What you described is the original EA500,they changed oem's.
Delta has been the provider for the past few years, still a decent psu but overpriced in today's market.
m
l
!