Wired to Wirless
Have one computer running behind a D-link DI-804HV wired router, can a D-link DI-784 wireless router be connected to the wired router to connect/feed a second computer running wireless, as for more security for the main computer? Or would this be too messy for the second computer? If not too messy will the wireless router have to be set-up by it's self on the main computer, then the wired router connected back to the main computer then the wireless router connected to the wired router to feed the second computer? Or will this cut down too much from the cable 5 Mbps main cable line/feed, RoadRunner? *** OR *** What would be the best way to set-up using both these routers as mentioned, wireless router connected to port on wired router to feed the second computer running wireless ??? I do want the wireless and wired router's to work as router's for firewall capabilities for both computer's besides running software firewalls on both computers.........
If you want the second router to route it will need to support a routing protocol. Not NAT. Typically this would be an older routing protocol. RIP or RIP2 usually. It might not be very graceful but it could work if the second router is functionally capable. Detailed specs on the DLink webpage had no mention of RIP, RIP or any other routing protocol so my guess would be no. You can use the 784 as an AP but not as a router.
1.So, since the wired router is already configed I need to get the wireless router set-up by its self,
2.then get wired router powered back up,
3.then get the wireless router powered back up with its wan connected to the com on the wired router,
4. then set the PCI card on the computer that's going to run wireless,
5. Would The above be the correct procedure to do this?
1. Would just buying a wireless AP offer better security and/or transmission, D-Link DWL-7100AP, than using the wireless D-Link DI-784 as a AP with the DI-804HV, or the D-Link DI-784 as a stand alone for both computers?
2. Then that raises the question of using a wireless AP off the wired router, DI-804HV, would that slow transmissions on either the main computer or the computer running wireless Vs just running the wireless DI-784 as a stand alone?
3. AND which way would offer the best security?
4. A Gateway wireless tech told me you couldn't use the wireless router with th DHCP server off, but I think I know that's wrong because I've used my DI-804HV with the DHCP server off to run SBC Yahoo DSL before.