Win98 goes to standby after 15min. How to disable?

G

Good day to all,

I've set the power management options in Win98 to "Always on" under Power Scheme and "Never turn off" harddisks and monitors.
The result: I still get windows to automatically switch to standby mode after 15mins. That is when leaving the mouse untouched for 15mins. Thus I can't see any movies without having to press the keyboard or move the mouse every 15mins.

Symptoms: After 15mins, the monitor blanks out, monitor Led flashiing... seems no video input. Sound still OK. I played MP3 after start up and after 15mins, there's a slight distortion in sound when the monitor blanks out but after that it's ok. But viewing movies will be a problem.

System:
Mainboard: ASUS A7M266
CPU : AMD 1GHz (266)
Graphics card: Asus 7100 Geforce2 MX400
Harddisk: Quantum fireball 30GB 7200rpm
Onboard sound
CDRom: Pioneer 16X DVD
CDRW: Aopen 12x10x32
PS: 300W

I would appreciate if anyone can help me. Thanks in advance.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
weird...Do you have the option (System standby) there also? Which you would set to Never. If not maybe there is something you can do is BIOS. Win98se user

defrage is child's play-fdisk

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
I believe there is a option to turn off the monitor...you probably have it set to 15 minutes, but you have the choice of never. It's on the same screen with the options to turn off the HD and standby.

"If it weren't for the last minute, alot of things wouldn't get done"

G

Thanks guys,

I've double checked to make sure the the option under to turn off the monitor and harddisk are "NEVER". And the power scheme is "ALWAYS ON".

The only thing I didn't do is to update the bios. But I just bought this mainboard A7M266 and the bios is ver1004, the lastest.

I don't know what to do now. Think I might switch to Win ME and see if that happens again. Btw, can I install Win ME over my existing Win 98?

DScott79

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2002
Hi

Just thought I should let you know... You might want to check in your bios under power management and make sure you have video suspend turned off there too. If anything this will override anything in Windows. This will be easier than having to install Windows ME.