PSU won't power up

Status
Not open for further replies.

silveralien81

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
I have an XFX 1000w Platinum PSU that won't turn on. When I push the power button it clicks, leds blink once, fans start to spin then stop (including PSU fan), and that's it. I got the wiring diagram from XFX and bypassed the cable by shorting the PSON and GND pins directly at the modular port. Same thing happened. Is my PSU fried or did I just forget to hook up the doll (movie reference)? TS tips/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Let me see if I understand correctly. Your PSU is currently not connected to your PC. You are simple attempting to see if it works. You jumped the green wire from your 24 pin to a black - did you simply short the connection or actually jump it with a paper clip (or something else which stays in the connector).
If you simply shorted the two (ie. arced them), you want to actually jump them (keep them connected) with a paperclip or solid core wire. Your PSU should stay on then. If it does not, you would probably want to look into RMAing it to XFX
Oh, if I misunderstood, please clarify (or just ignore this)
Let me see if I understand correctly. Your PSU is currently not connected to your PC. You are simple attempting to see if it works. You jumped the green wire from your 24 pin to a black - did you simply short the connection or actually jump it with a paper clip (or something else which stays in the connector).
If you simply shorted the two (ie. arced them), you want to actually jump them (keep them connected) with a paperclip or solid core wire. Your PSU should stay on then. If it does not, you would probably want to look into RMAing it to XFX
Oh, if I misunderstood, please clarify (or just ignore this)

Solution

silveralien81

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
You nailed it sir. I used a paperclip to jump the pins. It was held in place securely for several seconds. I understand it's not like hot wiring a car in a movie. I guess I will start the RMA process.

Status
Not open for further replies.