Gaming- 2500k Vs. 2600k

Im-MaTRiiX

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Hey all! I just was wondering if I should go for 2500k or 2600k? I game ALOT, I would like to know is the I5 2500k better than the I7 2600k for gaming? The reason I ask this is because they run at the same Ghz stock but have a 100$ price difference. I plan to OC to 4.3 Aprox, may someone give me a max OC Ghz rate for both the I7 and I5?

Also I like to play games obviously, Will this affect my FPS for say Minecraft or BF3? If so can you give me the difference of fps for both on Bf3? My specs are listed below.

CPU: Not decided
MOBO: AsRock extreme6
RAM: Kingston Hyper X 8gb
GPU: (Not chosen the brand) 560ti
PSU: OC-z 750W Supply
OPTICAL DRIVE: LG read/write
HDD: 1TB Western Digital
SSD: Non, yet
CPU COOLER:
CASE: Coolermaster HAF X

Solution

Not really. As I said there is only a slight performance increase with the Ivy Bridges CPU's. Unless you are going to make use of the integrated graphics, which he won't there is no point in getting an Ivy Bridges CPU. The 2500k is still more than good enough for gaming and overclocked it will easily make up for that very slight increase in performance over Ivy Bridges.

The I5 is fine for gaming. Withe the I7 you are paying an extra 100 dollars for extra memory cache and hyper threading, two things that games don't make use of. Save the extra 100 dollars and put it towards a better video card.

Im-MaTRiiX

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

Thanks! I also found the 3570k Is this any better?

Im-MaTRiiX

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

What makes it so good?

The I5 3570K is the next generation CPU from Intel. There is only a small performance gain with Ivy Bridges over Sandy Bridges. The biggest difference is that Ivy Bridges has better integrated graphics which as a gamer you most likley won't make use of. Also Ivy Bridges tends to run hotter when overclocked because Intel used a thermal paste material to lock down the IHS instead of fluxless solder causing the chip to run hotter.

Not really. As I said there is only a slight performance increase with the Ivy Bridges CPU's. Unless you are going to make use of the integrated graphics, which he won't there is no point in getting an Ivy Bridges CPU. The 2500k is still more than good enough for gaming and overclocked it will easily make up for that very slight increase in performance over Ivy Bridges.

Solution

Im-MaTRiiX

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

I think i'm going to switch to the 2500k but 1 last thing sorry I am curious :) is the I5 2550k worth the money, if so why and if not why?

Yes it is worth the money. It wasn't made for gaming in particular but it ended up fitting that role perfectly. Stock it's a very strong performer and can easily be overclocked to 4.5 with just a good aftermarket air cooler.

Im-MaTRiiX

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

What would the 2500k OC to with a Noctua NH-D14 Cooler? And what would a 2550k OC to with the same cooler? Also that is a yes I should get the 2550k for 10 extra $?

A 2500K with a Noctua D14 should pretty easily reach 4.5 GHz. There is no guarantee though it depends on you computer cooling, ambient room temperature and just luck. After a certain point it becomes a luck of the draw how much further you'll be able to push the chip.

Im-MaTRiiX

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

I think I might be able to push it, I have a Coolermaster HAF X with like 4 fans that are giant xP

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006

There isn't really any reason to buy the 2550K processor over the 2500K because both feature an unlocked multiplier and getting the 2500K to run at the 2550K's speed is ludicrously easy. The only reason one would buy the 2550K is because it is possible that the CPUs used for the 2550K processors were "binned" higher than the ones selected to go in the 2500K processors. (Binning is the act of selecting processor chips that are identical in nature yet perform differently, resulting in logically identical microchips performing worse or better than the expected baseline - resulting in binning).

Both chips typically reach 4.5-4.8GHz on a noctua NH-D14. Sometimes lower, sometimes higher; as with any chip.

Im-MaTRiiX

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

Easy? This is my first Computer build :/ Should I spare the 10$ on the 2550k just incase for whatever reason?

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006

As it's only $10 it wouldn't hurt; as I said the microchips are binned to a higher or lower base frequency. Some would consider it a waste of money but to me $10 is very insignificant for hardware, so you might as well.

As for overclocking either chip, it's ridiculously easy because they are unlocked. Overclocking the chips are usually just as easy as increasing the CPU's internal clock multiplier by one value positive at a time.

I would do some reading and look up video's on overclocking. It's pretty easy with both Sandy Bridges and Ivy Bridges CPU's but if you aren't careful you can end up frying the CPU, motherboard or both.

Im-MaTRiiX

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

Ok, I'll go with the 2550k
Will the fan 1156 work on a MOBO and cpu that are 1155?

Im-MaTRiiX

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

That would suck.