Can you recommend a game for a small kid

My son, who's 20 months, really like to "play" Burnout 3, but of cause
he can't really control it...

Can anybody recommend something a bit simpler? Preferebly something with
cars, that can be controlled with the wheel I got him (which he will not
let med use :-/ )

--
TC
34 answers Last reply

    Hello. Its hard to find a game that a child that young could really
    "control" but assuming he is having fun interacting with game and he likes
    racing games I would recommend Midtown madness 3. Its an older game and can
    be purchased fairly cheap.

    It has a feature simply called "cruise" which will allow you to just drive
    around realistic cities of Washington and Paris. You can crash into
    everything in site and keep going and going. My 5 year old daughter loves
    it.

    I hope this helps.

    "tc" <tc@sfbook.com> wrote in message
    > My son, who's 20 months, really like to "play" Burnout 3, but of cause
    > he can't really control it...
    >
    > Can anybody recommend something a bit simpler? Preferebly something with
    > cars, that can be controlled with the wheel I got him (which he will not
    > let med use :-/ )
    >
    > --
    > TC

    With kids that age you can just leave it on a demo screen and they'll
    have no idea they aren't actually doing anything. :^)

    - Jordan

    mad dash racing.....its a winner in our
    abode......

    Burnout 3 is a video game that i can personally attest to causing
    photosensitivity issues... it's the only video game that's ever made me
    sick to my stomach.

    you are probably aware, but young children are highly susceptible to
    photosensitivity in videogames, especially ones with fast moving
    images, like driving games. if you aren't aware of the whole
    photosensitivity thing, but you should consider the effects of video
    games on a brain that hasn't even developed the full array of
    neurological connections for the full spectrum of color yet.

    sorry for being preachy. i just hate to see kids grow up too fast.

    here's what you asked for:
    Hot Wheels: Stunt Track for the XBox... it's designed for a younger
    audience and it's only about $20.

    "tc" <tc@sfbook.com> wrote in message
    > My son, who's 20 months, really like to "play" Burnout 3, but of cause he
    > can't really control it...
    >
    > Can anybody recommend something a bit simpler? Preferebly something with
    > cars, that can be controlled with the wheel I got him (which he will not
    > let med use :-/ )
    >
    > --
    GTA: Vice City

    "tc" <tc@sfbook.com> wrote in message
    > My son, who's 20 months, really like to "play" Burnout 3, but of cause he
    > can't really control it...
    >
    > Can anybody recommend something a bit simpler? Preferebly something with
    > cars, that can be controlled with the wheel I got him (which he will not
    > let med use :-/ )

    20 months is a bit too young for someone to sit in front of videogames. As
    Fizzlestix says, very young children are not developed properly enough and
    can suffer seizures from that sort of thing. They can even get seizures
    from having a high temperature so imagine what a videogame with flashing
    lights can do.
    The kid at that age should be learning about more important stuff like
    numbers, colours, learning how to talk and string words together.

    Beck wrote:
    > "tc" <tc@sfbook.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>My son, who's 20 months, really like to "play" Burnout 3, but of cause he
    >>can't really control it...
    >>
    >>Can anybody recommend something a bit simpler? Preferebly something with
    >>cars, that can be controlled with the wheel I got him (which he will not
    >>let med use :-/ )
    >

    > 20 months is a bit too young for someone to sit in front of videogames. As
    > Fizzlestix says, very young children are not developed properly enough and
    > can suffer seizures from that sort of thing. They can even get seizures
    > from having a high temperature so imagine what a videogame with flashing
    > lights can do.
    > The kid at that age should be learning about more important stuff like
    > numbers, colours, learning how to talk and string words together.

    I agree, there is no need for the kid to be sitting there playing a
    video game at that age. Just getting into starting a bad habit doing
    that. I have a friend who let thier first child play games from a VERY
    early age and he is a definite video game addict at 4yrs old. Not a good
    thing...

    There are some educational games, and an educational based game system
    out there. Try that instead.

    Fizzlestix wrote:
    > Burnout 3 is a video game that i can personally attest to causing
    > photosensitivity issues... it's the only video game that's ever made me
    > sick to my stomach.

    > you are probably aware, but young children are highly susceptible to
    > photosensitivity in videogames, especially ones with fast moving

    I've heard of it, but I searched around on it and everything I found
    says that it's very rare and that you have to be disposed for it. It's
    not something you get from playing video games. It's some that can be
    triggerede by certain things.

    Anyway, I _was_ trying to find something a bit more calm and slow than B3...

    > sorry for being preachy. i just hate to see kids grow up too fast.

    No problem, and don't worry about it. That's not going to happen in this
    case. We do this together. He saw me playing and wanted to join it - it
    has now gotten to where he will not let me have the wheel, which means
    we do it less and less (I love him, but watching him not drive the car,
    for more that fifteen minuts is kind of boring, and just about every
    other activity we can do together is fun-fun-fun compared to that).

    Anyway, he can't sit still for long enough for this to be a problem :-).
    All the energy they have at that age...

    > Hot Wheels: Stunt Track for the XBox... it's designed for a younger
    > audience and it's only about $20.

    I'll take a look at it.

    --
    TC

    atarileaf wrote:
    > Hello. Its hard to find a game that a child that young could really
    > "control" but assuming he is having fun interacting with game and he likes
    > racing games I would recommend Midtown madness 3. Its an older game and can
    > be purchased fairly cheap.
    >
    > It has a feature simply called "cruise" which will allow you to just drive
    > around realistic cities of Washington and Paris. You can crash into
    > everything in site and keep going and going. My 5 year old daughter loves
    > it.

    Sounds like the thing. Is it possible to get stuck? He hasn't quite
    (well, not at all) grasped the "backing up" concept yet and he get
    annoyed when I have to help him get out of corners...

    Hm, is there something really simple in a racing game? I'm thinking
    about something really simple like mario carting or lego racers, but for
    the xbox.

    --
    TC

    this may or may not check in with what you want to know, AA, but here
    goes. below is a link you can read more about this stuff... a lot of
    what i've read was not on the web, but from actual books and speaking
    with people who know a lot more than i do. there's also a whole thing
    about how video games cause an abnormal release of chemicals in the
    brain (like dopamine) that "usually" are accompanied by physical
    activities, but obviously aren't with video games. just sayin is all...
    here y'go:

    http://www.ipce.info/library_3/files/glaser/glaser_2.htm#Brain

    http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/parenting/04/05/bullying.reut/index.html

    tc:

    > My son, who's 20 months, really like to "play" Burnout 3, but of cause
    > he can't really control it...

    He likes it because he sees Daddy playing it, he just wants to do
    something with you, the game is irrelevant.
    --
    Mac Cool

    bingo! good point, mac cool!

    "tc" <tc@sfbook.com> wrote in message
    > My son, who's 20 months, really like to "play" Burnout 3, but of cause he
    > can't really control it...
    >
    > Can anybody recommend something a bit simpler? Preferebly something with
    > cars, that can be controlled with the wheel I got him (which he will not
    > let med use :-/ )

    I got a game for a 20-month old... Building Blocks... Running around in the
    yard... Coloring... Human interaction with with his mom and dad... Not video
    games...

    - Cryo

    Heh j/k my kids were born with two cords and one had a gamepad on the end :)

    "AA" <a@a.com> wrote in message news:edE4e.114$Fm5.12@trndny09...

    > Hey Beck, all of this knowledge you're dropping.... where is this coming
    > from? I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I'm definitely calling
    > bullshit on you. Give us a link or an annotation or some actual proof
    > that anything you are saying is backed by science. Do I think it's good
    > for a 2 year old to spend 5 hours a night playing Halo2? Nope, but if
    > parents can sit a kid in front of Barney, Rugrats, and whatever other
    > brain drizzle there is out there, how about we introduce them to hand-eye
    > coordination and problem solving instead?
    >
    > Just my 2 cents, based entirely on opinion.

    If you think its bullshit thats fine. I am not here to prove myself.
    If you cannot find a link yourself then at least use some common sense and
    realise that the brain of a 20 month old is not as fully developed as a 5 yr
    old.
    Have you ever wondered why cartoons do not have strong flashing lights in
    them?

    I play a lot of games, and i could recommend, if you think your child
    would like it, any of the last 4 FIFA, Madden or NBA 2001 - 2005 games.

    "massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message

    > Beck wrote:
    >> "tc" <tc@sfbook.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>My son, who's 20 months, really like to "play" Burnout 3, but of cause he
    >>>can't really control it...
    >>>
    >>>Can anybody recommend something a bit simpler? Preferebly something with
    >>>cars, that can be controlled with the wheel I got him (which he will not
    >>>let med use :-/ )
    >>

    >> 20 months is a bit too young for someone to sit in front of videogames.
    >> As Fizzlestix says, very young children are not developed properly enough
    >> and can suffer seizures from that sort of thing. They can even get
    >> seizures from having a high temperature so imagine what a videogame with
    >> flashing lights can do.
    >> The kid at that age should be learning about more important stuff like
    >> numbers, colours, learning how to talk and string words together.
    >

    > I agree, there is no need for the kid to be sitting there playing a video
    > game at that age. Just getting into starting a bad habit doing that. I
    > have a friend who let thier first child play games from a VERY early age
    > and he is a definite video game addict at 4yrs old. Not a good thing...
    >
    > There are some educational games, and an educational based game system out
    > there. Try that instead.

    I bought my kids a vtech. Its educational, cheap and allows them to get
    their video game fix. They still have a gamecube with mario kart and donkey
    konga as well as a GB SP but they prefer the vtech.

    http://www.vtech.com/

    AA <a@a.com> wrote:

    > Hey Beck, all of this knowledge you're dropping.... where is this coming
    > from? I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I'm definitely calling
    > bullshit on you. Give us a link or an annotation or some actual proof
    > that anything you are saying is backed by science. Do I think it's good
    > for a 2 year old to spend 5 hours a night playing Halo2? Nope, but if
    > parents can sit a kid in front of Barney, Rugrats, and whatever other
    > brain drizzle there is out there, how about we introduce them to
    > hand-eye coordination and problem solving instead?

    From a developmental point of view, the fine-motor control required for
    video games doesn't develop until around 6 or so. There's a reason why
    kids start to learn to write at that age, and not earlier...

    This is why a young child draws in large movements - large circles, lines,
    etc. They can't really do small and fine movements - only the really big
    ones. As they get older, their development of finer movements starts to
    kick in - they can color within the lines, for instance, or write their
    name reasonably well.

    So trying to get a very young child to play a video game would most likely
    be rather aggravating for them. Too much sensory input, lack of fine
    motor skills to be able to accurately use the controller (not to mention
    lack of larger hands/fingers to be able to hold the thing) In short, it'd
    be like giving a child a calculus book because they like looking at
    numbers - he just won't be able to handle it, won't get much (if any)
    benefit, and may even develop an aversion from being pushed too hard.

    About the only video game I've seen that would be good for very young
    children would be the eye-toy for the PS2. It's a small web-cam that
    attaches to your PS2. There are various packs of mini-games and other
    games you can get that use the camera to project you onto the screen. For
    instance, one game has you pushing a ball around a maze. So to the kid,
    it'd be like a mirror, but more interactive. It'd encourage large scale
    movement on the part of the child - good exercise for developing muscles,
    as well as helping develop gross motor skills.

    I think when the child is about 4-5, you could start letting them play
    some games, as they'd start to have the fine motor skills required to be
    able to use the controller with some proficency, as well as being better
    at processing the flood of sensory input. Younger than that, and to be
    honest, I think the best toy you could give them is *you*.

    Beck <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

    > Have you ever wondered why cartoons do not have strong flashing lights in
    > them?

    Most shows don't - even adults can be affected by that.

    It's also why all video games carry a warning about seizures, (as well as
    other ailments, like CTS).

    Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote:
    > tc:

    > > My son, who's 20 months, really like to "play" Burnout 3, but of cause
    > > he can't really control it...

    > He likes it because he sees Daddy playing it, he just wants to do
    > something with you, the game is irrelevant.

    At that point, just give him an old controller to play with while daddy
    plays a game. He'll get the satisfaction of doing what daddy does, while
    being awed at the pretty colors on the screen. ;) A friend of mine gave
    his kid an old keyboard (with all the loose stuff pulled off) so he could
    type like daddy whe he was working at home.

    Beck wrote:
    > "AA" <a@a.com> wrote in message news:edE4e.114$Fm5.12@trndny09...
    >

    >>Hey Beck, all of this knowledge you're dropping.... where is this coming
    >>from? I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I'm definitely calling
    >>bullshit on you. Give us a link or an annotation or some actual proof
    >>that anything you are saying is backed by science. Do I think it's good
    >>for a 2 year old to spend 5 hours a night playing Halo2? Nope, but if
    >>parents can sit a kid in front of Barney, Rugrats, and whatever other
    >>brain drizzle there is out there, how about we introduce them to hand-eye
    >>coordination and problem solving instead?
    >>
    >>Just my 2 cents, based entirely on opinion.
    >

    > If you think its bullshit thats fine. I am not here to prove myself.
    > If you cannot find a link yourself then at least use some common sense and
    > realise that the brain of a 20 month old is not as fully developed as a 5 yr
    > old.
    > Have you ever wondered why cartoons do not have strong flashing lights in
    > them?

    Have you ever realized why this has no relevance whatsoever to this
    group? you shouldn't have even started it.

    Doug Jacobs wrote:
    > AA <a@a.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Hey Beck, all of this knowledge you're dropping.... where is this coming
    >>from? I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I'm definitely calling
    >>bullshit on you. Give us a link or an annotation or some actual proof
    >>that anything you are saying is backed by science. Do I think it's good
    >> for a 2 year old to spend 5 hours a night playing Halo2? Nope, but if
    >>parents can sit a kid in front of Barney, Rugrats, and whatever other
    >>brain drizzle there is out there, how about we introduce them to
    >>hand-eye coordination and problem solving instead?
    >

    > From a developmental point of view, the fine-motor control required for
    > video games doesn't develop until around 6 or so. There's a reason why
    > kids start to learn to write at that age, and not earlier...
    >
    > This is why a young child draws in large movements - large circles, lines,
    > etc. They can't really do small and fine movements - only the really big
    > ones. As they get older, their development of finer movements starts to
    > kick in - they can color within the lines, for instance, or write their
    > name reasonably well.
    >
    > So trying to get a very young child to play a video game would most likely
    > be rather aggravating for them. Too much sensory input, lack of fine
    > motor skills to be able to accurately use the controller (not to mention
    > lack of larger hands/fingers to be able to hold the thing) In short, it'd
    > be like giving a child a calculus book because they like looking at
    > numbers - he just won't be able to handle it, won't get much (if any)
    > benefit, and may even develop an aversion from being pushed too hard.
    >
    > About the only video game I've seen that would be good for very young
    > children would be the eye-toy for the PS2. It's a small web-cam that
    > attaches to your PS2. There are various packs of mini-games and other
    > games you can get that use the camera to project you onto the screen. For
    > instance, one game has you pushing a ball around a maze. So to the kid,
    > it'd be like a mirror, but more interactive. It'd encourage large scale
    > movement on the part of the child - good exercise for developing muscles,
    > as well as helping develop gross motor skills.
    >
    > I think when the child is about 4-5, you could start letting them play
    > some games, as they'd start to have the fine motor skills required to be
    > able to use the controller with some proficency, as well as being better
    > at processing the flood of sensory input. Younger than that, and to be
    > honest, I think the best toy you could give them is *you*.

    Wow, there is a blog somewhere calling your name. Complete strangers
    that actually want to listen.....to everything you have to say!
    Woowww.....only on the internet huh?

    Khee Mao wrote:
    > "tc" <tc@sfbook.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>My son, who's 20 months, really like to "play" Burnout 3, but of cause he
    >>can't really control it...
    >>
    >>Can anybody recommend something a bit simpler? Preferebly something with
    >>cars, that can be controlled with the wheel I got him (which he will not
    >>let med use :-/ )
    >>
    >>--
    >
    > GTA: Vice City

    or Narc. That teaches good hand eye coordination.

    Mac Cool wrote:
    > tc:
    >

    >>My son, who's 20 months, really like to "play" Burnout 3, but of cause
    >>he can't really control it...
    >

    > He likes it because he sees Daddy playing it, he just wants to do
    > something with you, the game is irrelevant.

    Thanks for breaking it down Mac!

    "theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
    >> If you think its bullshit thats fine. I am not here to prove myself.
    >> If you cannot find a link yourself then at least use some common sense
    >> and realise that the brain of a 20 month old is not as fully developed as
    >> a 5 yr old.
    >> Have you ever wondered why cartoons do not have strong flashing lights in
    >> them?
    > Have you ever realized why this has no relevance whatsoever to this group?
    > you shouldn't have even started it.

    It has every relevance to TC wanting his 20 month old kid to play Burnout 3.
    I am trying to help, if he doesn't want to take the advice of myself and
    others in here thats his lookout.

    Hi again. You can get stuck in corners at times but I think that would be
    the case in any racing game. As for cart racing, there is one for the xbox
    called "Crash Nitro Kart" which is a fun game but might be hard to control
    for young ones. Lots of sharp turns and jumps in that one.

    > atarileaf wrote:
    > > Hello. Its hard to find a game that a child that young could really
    > > "control" but assuming he is having fun interacting with game and he
    likes
    > > racing games I would recommend Midtown madness 3. Its an older game and
    can
    > > be purchased fairly cheap.
    > >
    > > It has a feature simply called "cruise" which will allow you to just
    drive
    > > around realistic cities of Washington and Paris. You can crash into
    > > everything in site and keep going and going. My 5 year old daughter
    loves
    > > it.
    >
    > Sounds like the thing. Is it possible to get stuck? He hasn't quite
    > (well, not at all) grasped the "backing up" concept yet and he get
    > annoyed when I have to help him get out of corners...
    >
    > Hm, is there something really simple in a racing game? I'm thinking
    > about something really simple like mario carting or lego racers, but for
    > the xbox.
    >
    > --
    > TC

    "tc" <tc@sfbook.com> wrote in message
    > My son, who's 20 months, really like to "play" Burnout 3, but of cause he
    > can't really control it...
    >
    > Can anybody recommend something a bit simpler? Preferebly something with
    > cars, that can be controlled with the wheel I got him (which he will not
    > let med use :-/ )

    Any of the Silent Hill games

    >> You learned games at 2 aswell then?
    > sorry, I didn't really read your post, or the thread for that matter....

    It happens, I do it all the time. have a cookie :-)

    theOne <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote:

    > Wow, there is a blog somewhere calling your name. Complete strangers
    > that actually want to listen.....to everything you have to say!
    > Woowww.....only on the internet huh?

    No one's making you read it.

    The guy asked for advice, I'm giving it. Unlike others who are just
    posting a title or two, I believe in supporting my positions.

    theOne <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote:

    [big snip of quoted stuff]

    > sorry, I didn't really read your post, or the thread for that matter....

    For someone who hates this thread, you've certainly posted a lot to it.
    By my count, you've contributed the most posts here - all of which have
    been nothing but negative criticism.

    Do you often spend your time doing things you hate? At least the others
    here are trying to help in some fashion.

    who said hate? I am enjoying myself :)

    Doug Jacobs wrote:
    > theOne <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote:
    >
    > [big snip of quoted stuff]
    >

    >>sorry, I didn't really read your post, or the thread for that matter....
    >

    > For someone who hates this thread, you've certainly posted a lot to it.
    > By my count, you've contributed the most posts here - all of which have
    > been nothing but negative criticism.
    >
    > Do you often spend your time doing things you hate? At least the others
    > here are trying to help in some fashion.

    btw, you contribution to distressed parents in an xbox group will not go
    unoticed; I apologize if I have robbed you of your thunder. I heard
    barbara walters will be doing an expose on this really soon!

    Doug Jacobs wrote:

    > The guy asked for advice, I'm giving it. Unlike others who are just
    > posting a title or two, I believe in supporting my positions.

    And you are actually making sense (a usenet first?)...

    We talked it through and decidede to put the controllers and the wheels
    on the shelve for a bit. Not because of any fear of effect on his
    "undeveloped brain", but simply because we where seeing a tendency for
    him to get angry whenever we turned it off. It didn't matter if he
    wasn't playing the game any more (he would usually wander of after 10
    minuts).

    Also factoring in what you mentioned, we decided that it probably would
    only bring more and more aggrivation as he would get more and more
    frustrated with his inability to master it.

    Thanks, anyway to all who answered...

    --
    TC

    Mattinglyfan wrote:
    > "massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message
    >

    >>Beck wrote:
    >>
    >>>"tc" <tc@sfbook.com> wrote in message

    >>>20 months is a bit too young for someone to sit in front of videogames.
    >>>As Fizzlestix says, very young children are not developed properly enough
    >>>and can suffer seizures from that sort of thing. They can even get
    >>>seizures from having a high temperature so imagine what a videogame with
    >>>flashing lights can do.
    >>>The kid at that age should be learning about more important stuff like
    >>>numbers, colours, learning how to talk and string words together.
    >>

    >>I agree, there is no need for the kid to be sitting there playing a video
    >>game at that age. Just getting into starting a bad habit doing that. I
    >>have a friend who let thier first child play games from a VERY early age
    >>and he is a definite video game addict at 4yrs old. Not a good thing...
    >>
    >>There are some educational games, and an educational based game system out
    >>there. Try that instead.
    >>

    > I bought my kids a vtech. Its educational, cheap and allows them to get
    > their video game fix. They still have a gamecube with mario kart and donkey
    > konga as well as a GB SP but they prefer the vtech.
    >
    > http://www.vtech.com/

    Ahhh, that is the one I was trying to think of. It is very good for what
    it is and does!!

    Doug Jacobs wrote:

    > being awed at the pretty colors on the screen. ;) A friend of mine gave
    > his kid an old keyboard (with all the loose stuff pulled off) so he could
    > type like daddy whe he was working at home.

    There was two keyboards on my desk for a long time. Then he kidnapped
    his and now he has his own desk on his room with keyboard and animal
    farm... kids...

    --
    TC

Console Gaming Games Video Games