Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Can you recommend a game for a small kid

Tags:
  • Console Gaming
  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in PC Gaming
April 5, 2005 8:48:21 PM

My son, who's 20 months, really like to "play" Burnout 3, but of cause
he can't really control it...

Can anybody recommend something a bit simpler? Preferebly something with
cars, that can be controlled with the wheel I got him (which he will not
let med use :-/ )

--
TC

More about : recommend game small kid

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 8:48:22 PM

Hello. Its hard to find a game that a child that young could really
"control" but assuming he is having fun interacting with game and he likes
racing games I would recommend Midtown madness 3. Its an older game and can
be purchased fairly cheap.

It has a feature simply called "cruise" which will allow you to just drive
around realistic cities of Washington and Paris. You can crash into
everything in site and keep going and going. My 5 year old daughter loves
it.

I hope this helps.

"tc" <tc@sfbook.com> wrote in message
> My son, who's 20 months, really like to "play" Burnout 3, but of cause
> he can't really control it...
>
> Can anybody recommend something a bit simpler? Preferebly something with
> cars, that can be controlled with the wheel I got him (which he will not
> let med use :-/ )
>
> --
> TC
April 5, 2005 8:48:22 PM

With kids that age you can just leave it on a demo screen and they'll
have no idea they aren't actually doing anything. :^)

- Jordan
April 5, 2005 8:48:22 PM

mad dash racing.....its a winner in our
abode......
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 8:48:22 PM

Burnout 3 is a video game that i can personally attest to causing
photosensitivity issues... it's the only video game that's ever made me
sick to my stomach.

you are probably aware, but young children are highly susceptible to
photosensitivity in videogames, especially ones with fast moving
images, like driving games. if you aren't aware of the whole
photosensitivity thing, but you should consider the effects of video
games on a brain that hasn't even developed the full array of
neurological connections for the full spectrum of color yet.

sorry for being preachy. i just hate to see kids grow up too fast.

here's what you asked for:
Hot Wheels: Stunt Track for the XBox... it's designed for a younger
audience and it's only about $20.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 8:48:22 PM

"tc" <tc@sfbook.com> wrote in message
> My son, who's 20 months, really like to "play" Burnout 3, but of cause he
> can't really control it...
>
> Can anybody recommend something a bit simpler? Preferebly something with
> cars, that can be controlled with the wheel I got him (which he will not
> let med use :-/ )
>
> --
GTA: Vice City
April 5, 2005 9:15:21 PM

"tc" <tc@sfbook.com> wrote in message
> My son, who's 20 months, really like to "play" Burnout 3, but of cause he
> can't really control it...
>
> Can anybody recommend something a bit simpler? Preferebly something with
> cars, that can be controlled with the wheel I got him (which he will not
> let med use :-/ )

20 months is a bit too young for someone to sit in front of videogames. As
Fizzlestix says, very young children are not developed properly enough and
can suffer seizures from that sort of thing. They can even get seizures
from having a high temperature so imagine what a videogame with flashing
lights can do.
The kid at that age should be learning about more important stuff like
numbers, colours, learning how to talk and string words together.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 9:15:22 PM

Beck wrote:
> "tc" <tc@sfbook.com> wrote in message
>
>>My son, who's 20 months, really like to "play" Burnout 3, but of cause he
>>can't really control it...
>>
>>Can anybody recommend something a bit simpler? Preferebly something with
>>cars, that can be controlled with the wheel I got him (which he will not
>>let med use :-/ )
>

> 20 months is a bit too young for someone to sit in front of videogames. As
> Fizzlestix says, very young children are not developed properly enough and
> can suffer seizures from that sort of thing. They can even get seizures
> from having a high temperature so imagine what a videogame with flashing
> lights can do.
> The kid at that age should be learning about more important stuff like
> numbers, colours, learning how to talk and string words together.

I agree, there is no need for the kid to be sitting there playing a
video game at that age. Just getting into starting a bad habit doing
that. I have a friend who let thier first child play games from a VERY
early age and he is a definite video game addict at 4yrs old. Not a good
thing...

There are some educational games, and an educational based game system
out there. Try that instead.
April 6, 2005 1:25:56 AM

Fizzlestix wrote:
> Burnout 3 is a video game that i can personally attest to causing
> photosensitivity issues... it's the only video game that's ever made me
> sick to my stomach.

> you are probably aware, but young children are highly susceptible to
> photosensitivity in videogames, especially ones with fast moving

I've heard of it, but I searched around on it and everything I found
says that it's very rare and that you have to be disposed for it. It's
not something you get from playing video games. It's some that can be
triggerede by certain things.

Anyway, I _was_ trying to find something a bit more calm and slow than B3...

> sorry for being preachy. i just hate to see kids grow up too fast.

No problem, and don't worry about it. That's not going to happen in this
case. We do this together. He saw me playing and wanted to join it - it
has now gotten to where he will not let me have the wheel, which means
we do it less and less (I love him, but watching him not drive the car,
for more that fifteen minuts is kind of boring, and just about every
other activity we can do together is fun-fun-fun compared to that).

Anyway, he can't sit still for long enough for this to be a problem :-).
All the energy they have at that age...

> Hot Wheels: Stunt Track for the XBox... it's designed for a younger
> audience and it's only about $20.

I'll take a look at it.

--
TC
April 6, 2005 1:32:46 AM

atarileaf wrote:
> Hello. Its hard to find a game that a child that young could really
> "control" but assuming he is having fun interacting with game and he likes
> racing games I would recommend Midtown madness 3. Its an older game and can
> be purchased fairly cheap.
>
> It has a feature simply called "cruise" which will allow you to just drive
> around realistic cities of Washington and Paris. You can crash into
> everything in site and keep going and going. My 5 year old daughter loves
> it.

Sounds like the thing. Is it possible to get stuck? He hasn't quite
(well, not at all) grasped the "backing up" concept yet and he get
annoyed when I have to help him get out of corners...

Hm, is there something really simple in a racing game? I'm thinking
about something really simple like mario carting or lego racers, but for
the xbox.

--
TC
Anonymous

this may or may not check in with what you want to know, AA, but here
goes. below is a link you can read more about this stuff... a lot of
what i've read was not on the web, but from actual books and speaking
with people who know a lot more than i do. there's also a whole thing
about how video games cause an abnormal release of chemicals in the
brain (like dopamine) that "usually" are accompanied by physical
activities, but obviously aren't with video games. just sayin is all...
here y'go:

http://www.ipce.info/library_3/files/glaser/glaser_2.ht...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/parenting/04/05/bullying...
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 8:13:53 AM

tc:

> My son, who's 20 months, really like to "play" Burnout 3, but of cause
> he can't really control it...

He likes it because he sees Daddy playing it, he just wants to do
something with you, the game is irrelevant.
--
Mac Cool
Anonymous

bingo! good point, mac cool!
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 12:26:16 PM

"tc" <tc@sfbook.com> wrote in message
> My son, who's 20 months, really like to "play" Burnout 3, but of cause he
> can't really control it...
>
> Can anybody recommend something a bit simpler? Preferebly something with
> cars, that can be controlled with the wheel I got him (which he will not
> let med use :-/ )

I got a game for a 20-month old... Building Blocks... Running around in the
yard... Coloring... Human interaction with with his mom and dad... Not video
games...

- Cryo

Heh j/k my kids were born with two cords and one had a gamepad on the end :)
April 6, 2005 4:43:45 PM

"AA" <a@a.com> wrote in message news:edE4e.114$Fm5.12@trndny09...

> Hey Beck, all of this knowledge you're dropping.... where is this coming
> from? I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I'm definitely calling
> bullshit on you. Give us a link or an annotation or some actual proof
> that anything you are saying is backed by science. Do I think it's good
> for a 2 year old to spend 5 hours a night playing Halo2? Nope, but if
> parents can sit a kid in front of Barney, Rugrats, and whatever other
> brain drizzle there is out there, how about we introduce them to hand-eye
> coordination and problem solving instead?
>
> Just my 2 cents, based entirely on opinion.

If you think its bullshit thats fine. I am not here to prove myself.
If you cannot find a link yourself then at least use some common sense and
realise that the brain of a 20 month old is not as fully developed as a 5 yr
old.
Have you ever wondered why cartoons do not have strong flashing lights in
them?
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 10:20:43 PM

I play a lot of games, and i could recommend, if you think your child
would like it, any of the last 4 FIFA, Madden or NBA 2001 - 2005 games.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 11:51:29 PM

"massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message

> Beck wrote:
>> "tc" <tc@sfbook.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>My son, who's 20 months, really like to "play" Burnout 3, but of cause he
>>>can't really control it...
>>>
>>>Can anybody recommend something a bit simpler? Preferebly something with
>>>cars, that can be controlled with the wheel I got him (which he will not
>>>let med use :-/ )
>>

>> 20 months is a bit too young for someone to sit in front of videogames.
>> As Fizzlestix says, very young children are not developed properly enough
>> and can suffer seizures from that sort of thing. They can even get
>> seizures from having a high temperature so imagine what a videogame with
>> flashing lights can do.
>> The kid at that age should be learning about more important stuff like
>> numbers, colours, learning how to talk and string words together.
>

> I agree, there is no need for the kid to be sitting there playing a video
> game at that age. Just getting into starting a bad habit doing that. I
> have a friend who let thier first child play games from a VERY early age
> and he is a definite video game addict at 4yrs old. Not a good thing...
>
> There are some educational games, and an educational based game system out
> there. Try that instead.

I bought my kids a vtech. Its educational, cheap and allows them to get
their video game fix. They still have a gamecube with mario kart and donkey
konga as well as a GB SP but they prefer the vtech.

http://www.vtech.com/
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 6:01:35 AM

AA <a@a.com> wrote:

> Hey Beck, all of this knowledge you're dropping.... where is this coming
> from? I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I'm definitely calling
> bullshit on you. Give us a link or an annotation or some actual proof
> that anything you are saying is backed by science. Do I think it's good
> for a 2 year old to spend 5 hours a night playing Halo2? Nope, but if
> parents can sit a kid in front of Barney, Rugrats, and whatever other
> brain drizzle there is out there, how about we introduce them to
> hand-eye coordination and problem solving instead?

From a developmental point of view, the fine-motor control required for
video games doesn't develop until around 6 or so. There's a reason why
kids start to learn to write at that age, and not earlier...

This is why a young child draws in large movements - large circles, lines,
etc. They can't really do small and fine movements - only the really big
ones. As they get older, their development of finer movements starts to
kick in - they can color within the lines, for instance, or write their
name reasonably well.

So trying to get a very young child to play a video game would most likely
be rather aggravating for them. Too much sensory input, lack of fine
motor skills to be able to accurately use the controller (not to mention
lack of larger hands/fingers to be able to hold the thing) In short, it'd
be like giving a child a calculus book because they like looking at
numbers - he just won't be able to handle it, won't get much (if any)
benefit, and may even develop an aversion from being pushed too hard.

About the only video game I've seen that would be good for very young
children would be the eye-toy for the PS2. It's a small web-cam that
attaches to your PS2. There are various packs of mini-games and other
games you can get that use the camera to project you onto the screen. For
instance, one game has you pushing a ball around a maze. So to the kid,
it'd be like a mirror, but more interactive. It'd encourage large scale
movement on the part of the child - good exercise for developing muscles,
as well as helping develop gross motor skills.

I think when the child is about 4-5, you could start letting them play
some games, as they'd start to have the fine motor skills required to be
able to use the controller with some proficency, as well as being better
at processing the flood of sensory input. Younger than that, and to be
honest, I think the best toy you could give them is *you*.
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 6:04:02 AM

Beck <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Have you ever wondered why cartoons do not have strong flashing lights in
> them?

Most shows don't - even adults can be affected by that.

It's also why all video games carry a warning about seizures, (as well as
other ailments, like CTS).
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 6:06:25 AM

Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote:
> tc:

> > My son, who's 20 months, really like to "play" Burnout 3, but of cause
> > he can't really control it...

> He likes it because he sees Daddy playing it, he just wants to do
> something with you, the game is irrelevant.

At that point, just give him an old controller to play with while daddy
plays a game. He'll get the satisfaction of doing what daddy does, while
being awed at the pretty colors on the screen. ;)  A friend of mine gave
his kid an old keyboard (with all the loose stuff pulled off) so he could
type like daddy whe he was working at home.
April 7, 2005 7:52:43 AM

Beck wrote:
> "AA" <a@a.com> wrote in message news:edE4e.114$Fm5.12@trndny09...
>

>>Hey Beck, all of this knowledge you're dropping.... where is this coming
>>from? I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I'm definitely calling
>>bullshit on you. Give us a link or an annotation or some actual proof
>>that anything you are saying is backed by science. Do I think it's good
>>for a 2 year old to spend 5 hours a night playing Halo2? Nope, but if
>>parents can sit a kid in front of Barney, Rugrats, and whatever other
>>brain drizzle there is out there, how about we introduce them to hand-eye
>>coordination and problem solving instead?
>>
>>Just my 2 cents, based entirely on opinion.
>

> If you think its bullshit thats fine. I am not here to prove myself.
> If you cannot find a link yourself then at least use some common sense and
> realise that the brain of a 20 month old is not as fully developed as a 5 yr
> old.
> Have you ever wondered why cartoons do not have strong flashing lights in
> them?

Have you ever realized why this has no relevance whatsoever to this
group? you shouldn't have even started it.
April 7, 2005 7:54:20 AM

Doug Jacobs wrote:
> AA <a@a.com> wrote:
>

>>Hey Beck, all of this knowledge you're dropping.... where is this coming
>>from? I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I'm definitely calling
>>bullshit on you. Give us a link or an annotation or some actual proof
>>that anything you are saying is backed by science. Do I think it's good
>> for a 2 year old to spend 5 hours a night playing Halo2? Nope, but if
>>parents can sit a kid in front of Barney, Rugrats, and whatever other
>>brain drizzle there is out there, how about we introduce them to
>>hand-eye coordination and problem solving instead?
>

> From a developmental point of view, the fine-motor control required for
> video games doesn't develop until around 6 or so. There's a reason why
> kids start to learn to write at that age, and not earlier...
>
> This is why a young child draws in large movements - large circles, lines,
> etc. They can't really do small and fine movements - only the really big
> ones. As they get older, their development of finer movements starts to
> kick in - they can color within the lines, for instance, or write their
> name reasonably well.
>
> So trying to get a very young child to play a video game would most likely
> be rather aggravating for them. Too much sensory input, lack of fine
> motor skills to be able to accurately use the controller (not to mention
> lack of larger hands/fingers to be able to hold the thing) In short, it'd
> be like giving a child a calculus book because they like looking at
> numbers - he just won't be able to handle it, won't get much (if any)
> benefit, and may even develop an aversion from being pushed too hard.
>
> About the only video game I've seen that would be good for very young
> children would be the eye-toy for the PS2. It's a small web-cam that
> attaches to your PS2. There are various packs of mini-games and other
> games you can get that use the camera to project you onto the screen. For
> instance, one game has you pushing a ball around a maze. So to the kid,
> it'd be like a mirror, but more interactive. It'd encourage large scale
> movement on the part of the child - good exercise for developing muscles,
> as well as helping develop gross motor skills.
>
> I think when the child is about 4-5, you could start letting them play
> some games, as they'd start to have the fine motor skills required to be
> able to use the controller with some proficency, as well as being better
> at processing the flood of sensory input. Younger than that, and to be
> honest, I think the best toy you could give them is *you*.

Wow, there is a blog somewhere calling your name. Complete strangers
that actually want to listen.....to everything you have to say!
Woowww.....only on the internet huh?
April 7, 2005 7:54:49 AM

Khee Mao wrote:
> "tc" <tc@sfbook.com> wrote in message
>
>>My son, who's 20 months, really like to "play" Burnout 3, but of cause he
>>can't really control it...
>>
>>Can anybody recommend something a bit simpler? Preferebly something with
>>cars, that can be controlled with the wheel I got him (which he will not
>>let med use :-/ )
>>
>>--
>
> GTA: Vice City

or Narc. That teaches good hand eye coordination.
April 7, 2005 7:55:29 AM

Mac Cool wrote:
> tc:
>

>>My son, who's 20 months, really like to "play" Burnout 3, but of cause
>>he can't really control it...
>

> He likes it because he sees Daddy playing it, he just wants to do
> something with you, the game is irrelevant.

Thanks for breaking it down Mac!
April 7, 2005 1:49:37 PM

"theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
>> If you think its bullshit thats fine. I am not here to prove myself.
>> If you cannot find a link yourself then at least use some common sense
>> and realise that the brain of a 20 month old is not as fully developed as
>> a 5 yr old.
>> Have you ever wondered why cartoons do not have strong flashing lights in
>> them?
> Have you ever realized why this has no relevance whatsoever to this group?
> you shouldn't have even started it.

It has every relevance to TC wanting his 20 month old kid to play Burnout 3.
I am trying to help, if he doesn't want to take the advice of myself and
others in here thats his lookout.
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 4:11:15 PM

Hi again. You can get stuck in corners at times but I think that would be
the case in any racing game. As for cart racing, there is one for the xbox
called "Crash Nitro Kart" which is a fun game but might be hard to control
for young ones. Lots of sharp turns and jumps in that one.

> atarileaf wrote:
> > Hello. Its hard to find a game that a child that young could really
> > "control" but assuming he is having fun interacting with game and he
likes
> > racing games I would recommend Midtown madness 3. Its an older game and
can
> > be purchased fairly cheap.
> >
> > It has a feature simply called "cruise" which will allow you to just
drive
> > around realistic cities of Washington and Paris. You can crash into
> > everything in site and keep going and going. My 5 year old daughter
loves
> > it.
>
> Sounds like the thing. Is it possible to get stuck? He hasn't quite
> (well, not at all) grasped the "backing up" concept yet and he get
> annoyed when I have to help him get out of corners...
>
> Hm, is there something really simple in a racing game? I'm thinking
> about something really simple like mario carting or lego racers, but for
> the xbox.
>
> --
> TC
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 4:33:47 PM

"tc" <tc@sfbook.com> wrote in message
> My son, who's 20 months, really like to "play" Burnout 3, but of cause he
> can't really control it...
>
> Can anybody recommend something a bit simpler? Preferebly something with
> cars, that can be controlled with the wheel I got him (which he will not
> let med use :-/ )

Any of the Silent Hill games
April 7, 2005 9:36:25 PM

>> You learned games at 2 aswell then?
> sorry, I didn't really read your post, or the thread for that matter....

It happens, I do it all the time. have a cookie :-)
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 3:19:46 AM

theOne <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote:

> Wow, there is a blog somewhere calling your name. Complete strangers
> that actually want to listen.....to everything you have to say!
> Woowww.....only on the internet huh?

No one's making you read it.

The guy asked for advice, I'm giving it. Unlike others who are just
posting a title or two, I believe in supporting my positions.
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 3:25:16 AM

theOne <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote:

[big snip of quoted stuff]

> sorry, I didn't really read your post, or the thread for that matter....

For someone who hates this thread, you've certainly posted a lot to it.
By my count, you've contributed the most posts here - all of which have
been nothing but negative criticism.

Do you often spend your time doing things you hate? At least the others
here are trying to help in some fashion.
April 8, 2005 9:32:17 AM

Doug Jacobs wrote:
> theOne <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote:
>
> [big snip of quoted stuff]
>

>>sorry, I didn't really read your post, or the thread for that matter....
>

> For someone who hates this thread, you've certainly posted a lot to it.
> By my count, you've contributed the most posts here - all of which have
> been nothing but negative criticism.
>
> Do you often spend your time doing things you hate? At least the others
> here are trying to help in some fashion.

who said hate? I am enjoying myself :)
April 8, 2005 9:34:12 AM

Doug Jacobs wrote:
> theOne <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote:
>
> [big snip of quoted stuff]
>

>>sorry, I didn't really read your post, or the thread for that matter....
>

> For someone who hates this thread, you've certainly posted a lot to it.
> By my count, you've contributed the most posts here - all of which have
> been nothing but negative criticism.
>
> Do you often spend your time doing things you hate? At least the others
> here are trying to help in some fashion.

btw, you contribution to distressed parents in an xbox group will not go
unoticed; I apologize if I have robbed you of your thunder. I heard
barbara walters will be doing an expose on this really soon!
April 9, 2005 4:36:23 PM

Doug Jacobs wrote:

> The guy asked for advice, I'm giving it. Unlike others who are just
> posting a title or two, I believe in supporting my positions.

And you are actually making sense (a usenet first?)...

We talked it through and decidede to put the controllers and the wheels
on the shelve for a bit. Not because of any fear of effect on his
"undeveloped brain", but simply because we where seeing a tendency for
him to get angry whenever we turned it off. It didn't matter if he
wasn't playing the game any more (he would usually wander of after 10
minuts).

Also factoring in what you mentioned, we decided that it probably would
only bring more and more aggrivation as he would get more and more
frustrated with his inability to master it.

Thanks, anyway to all who answered...

--
TC
Anonymous

Mattinglyfan wrote:
> "massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message
>

>>Beck wrote:
>>
>>>"tc" <tc@sfbook.com> wrote in message

>>>20 months is a bit too young for someone to sit in front of videogames.
>>>As Fizzlestix says, very young children are not developed properly enough
>>>and can suffer seizures from that sort of thing. They can even get
>>>seizures from having a high temperature so imagine what a videogame with
>>>flashing lights can do.
>>>The kid at that age should be learning about more important stuff like
>>>numbers, colours, learning how to talk and string words together.
>>

>>I agree, there is no need for the kid to be sitting there playing a video
>>game at that age. Just getting into starting a bad habit doing that. I
>>have a friend who let thier first child play games from a VERY early age
>>and he is a definite video game addict at 4yrs old. Not a good thing...
>>
>>There are some educational games, and an educational based game system out
>>there. Try that instead.
>>

> I bought my kids a vtech. Its educational, cheap and allows them to get
> their video game fix. They still have a gamecube with mario kart and donkey
> konga as well as a GB SP but they prefer the vtech.
>
> http://www.vtech.com/

Ahhh, that is the one I was trying to think of. It is very good for what
it is and does!!
April 11, 2005 12:53:13 AM

Doug Jacobs wrote:

> being awed at the pretty colors on the screen. ;)  A friend of mine gave
> his kid an old keyboard (with all the loose stuff pulled off) so he could
> type like daddy whe he was working at home.

There was two keyboards on my desk for a long time. Then he kidnapped
his and now he has his own desk on his room with keyboard and animal
farm... kids...

--
TC