REQ: command to go direct to application event viewer

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I use this command in a shortcut to invoke the Event Viewer.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\eventvwr.msc

However it shows me a choice of 3 event logs.

Is there a way I can go *direct* to the Event Viewer screen which
shows application events?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Yes, Open MMConsole, Add the Event Viewer, click Application to
open. Then save the console as a new .Msc and create a shortcut to
it. Next time you open the .Msc, it will retain the "View". Only downside
is that each time you close, you'll be prompted to save changes.

Click Start, Run, (Type) mmc
Click "New", Add Snap-in ( Choose Event Viewer), Position & Size
as you like. Then File, Save-As. Create a Shortcut to the .Msc.

"David Peters" <notmymail@mail.com> wrote in message
>I use this command in a shortcut to invoke the Event Viewer.
>
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\eventvwr.msc
>
> However it shows me a choice of 3 event logs.
>

> Is there a way I can go *direct* to the Event Viewer screen which
> shows application events?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

This is shorter...

Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | OK

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:2tch3sF1uu55lU1@uni-berlin.de,
David Peters <notmymail@mail.com> hunted and pecked:
> I use this command in a shortcut to invoke the Event Viewer.
>
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\eventvwr.msc
>
> However it shows me a choice of 3 event logs.
>

> Is there a way I can go *direct* to the Event Viewer screen which
> shows application events?

williamlambton

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
Following on from anonymous of 10-16-2004 at 07:05:24 PM (a few years' ago!), I found this works with XP Pro SP3.

01. Open Microsoft Management Console by typing "mmc" in Run
02. Click "Add/Remove snap-in..." under File
03. Click Add
04. Highlight "Event Viewer" and click Add
05. Leave dot as is against "Local computer:..." and click Finish
06. Close previous box
07. Click OK to close first box
08. Expand "Event Viewer (Local)"
09. Click "Application"
10. Click File/Save as and save and rename as suits
11. Close Microsoft Management Console
12. Open saved file and adjust the view as necessary (ie using <-> to stretch, etc.). No need to save - it remembers your last view.

Obviously, this process works with the other Event Viewer logs. Just click the log in question at stage 09.