REQ: command to go direct to application event viewer

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I use this command in a shortcut to invoke the Event Viewer.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\eventvwr.msc

However it shows me a choice of 3 event logs.

Is there a way I can go *direct* to the Event Viewer screen which
shows application events?
3 answers Last reply
More about command direct application event viewer
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Yes, Open MMConsole, Add the Event Viewer, click Application to
    open. Then save the console as a new .Msc and create a shortcut to
    it. Next time you open the .Msc, it will retain the "View". Only downside
    is that each time you close, you'll be prompted to save changes.

    Click Start, Run, (Type) mmc
    Click "New", Add Snap-in ( Choose Event Viewer), Position & Size
    as you like. Then File, Save-As. Create a Shortcut to the .Msc.

    "David Peters" <notmymail@mail.com> wrote in message
    >I use this command in a shortcut to invoke the Event Viewer.
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\eventvwr.msc
    >
    > However it shows me a choice of 3 event logs.
    >

    > Is there a way I can go *direct* to the Event Viewer screen which
    > shows application events?

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    This is shorter...

    Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | OK

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:2tch3sF1uu55lU1@uni-berlin.de,
    David Peters <notmymail@mail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I use this command in a shortcut to invoke the Event Viewer.
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\eventvwr.msc
    >
    > However it shows me a choice of 3 event logs.
    >

    > Is there a way I can go *direct* to the Event Viewer screen which
    > shows application events?
  3. Following on from anonymous of 10-16-2004 at 07:05:24 PM (a few years' ago!), I found this works with XP Pro SP3.

    01. Open Microsoft Management Console by typing "mmc" in Run
    02. Click "Add/Remove snap-in..." under File
    03. Click Add
    04. Highlight "Event Viewer" and click Add
    05. Leave dot as is against "Local computer:..." and click Finish
    06. Close previous box
    07. Click OK to close first box
    08. Expand "Event Viewer (Local)"
    09. Click "Application"
    10. Click File/Save as and save and rename as suits
    11. Close Microsoft Management Console
    12. Open saved file and adjust the view as necessary (ie using <-> to stretch, etc.). No need to save - it remembers your last view.

    Obviously, this process works with the other Event Viewer logs. Just click the log in question at stage 09.

Configuration Event Viewer Command Prompt Microsoft Windows XP