Sign in with
Your question

New Build Freezes and Blue Screen

Last response: in Systems
March 24, 2012 6:33:01 PM

I just put together my new rig and it keeps freezing on me.

Build:
Asus Sabertooth x79 motherboard
Corsair HX1050 Power supply
16GB of G. Skill Ripjaw Z DDR3 2133 RAM
Intel i7- 3930k processor
2x Samsung 830 series 256GB SSD
Saphire, AMD 7970 graphics card

I initially had the SSD's in a RAID 0. I was able to get windows 7 64bit installed using the correct driver during installation, but after install it would frequently freeze and then recover displaying this message "AMD driver has stopped working, and has recovered". After swapping my RAM out, I couldn't figure out a fix for it, so I reinstalled windows (also checked my PSU out and made sure it was working). The problem continued, so I decided to reinstall windows in ACHI mode and delete my RAID 0. At this point the freezing got to the point in which it wouldn't recover, and blue screened. I tried re-installing windows again, but it froze while simply loading the Windows 7 install disk. I decided to replace my GPU with an older NVidia 560 Ti. It blue screened again half-way through the install.

Any advice on what to do next would be greatly appreciated.
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
March 24, 2012 6:56:14 PM

I would start by running Memtest86 on the RAM. I guess getting the blue screen dump files is out of the question.
m
l
March 24, 2012 7:09:38 PM

Forgot to mention, I had different RAM to start off with. I return it and got the G. Skill Ripjaw Z RAM as a replacement and the problem persisted.
m
l
Related resources
March 24, 2012 7:36:44 PM

ehouse said:
Forgot to mention, I had different RAM to start off with. I return it and got the G. Skill Ripjaw Z RAM as a replacement and the problem persisted.

Have you tried installing windows onto a traditional hard drive to see if it happens? Maybe the SSD's are messed up?
m
l
March 28, 2012 12:29:35 AM

I ran MemTest86 and it came back with no errors. I installed Ubuntu on a flashdrive and it ran fine. However, I managed to get windows 7 working on the SSD for no apparent reason, got all the way to installing drivers for the graphics card when it started freezing up again. Keeps coming up with "AMD display driver has stopped responding, and has recovered."

I replaced the 7970 graphics card with an older NVidia 560ti, and tried to system restore so I could install the drivers for it without worrying about the 7970's, but I got this error when trying to system restore "an unexpected error occurred during system restore. (0xc0000034)". Also, the screen keeps "crackling" with colors, and flashes.

Installing OS with proper 560 ti drivers on an HDD tomorrow.
m
l
March 28, 2012 2:22:32 AM

ehouse said:
I ran MemTest86 and it came back with no errors. I installed Ubuntu on a flashdrive and it ran fine. However, I managed to get windows 7 working on the SSD for no apparent reason, got all the way to installing drivers for the graphics card when it started freezing up again. Keeps coming up with "AMD display driver has stopped responding, and has recovered."

I replaced the 7970 graphics card with an older NVidia 560ti, and tried to system restore so I could install the drivers for it without worrying about the 7970's, but I got this error when trying to system restore "an unexpected error occurred during system restore. (0xc0000034)". Also, the screen keeps "crackling" with colors, and flashes.

Installing OS with proper 560 ti drivers on an HDD tomorrow.

Thats a really odd problem, and I'm not sure what to say about it. Although to me, it doesn't smell like a problem with the SSD. I'd honestly wonder if something was hinky with the motherboard... But again, I dunno.. thats odd.
m
l
!