6950 max safe voltage?!!

lucifer_9mm

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
Hello friends, I have a 6950 dirt3 edition unlocked, overclocked to 880/1375 to match the values of the 6970. I used the Trixx utility to oc it and increased the voltage upto 1.18v. It was working fine until lately, during running games the display driver crashes or the card starts artifacting. I want to crank up the voltage beyond 1.2v and see if the card stays stable, I just want to know the maximum safe voltage for my card. Please help me out, many thanks in advance :)

odoyle_rules

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
with that shader unlock and clock speed, your undervolting the card. i have 2 6950's in crossfire and i'm running them quite stable at 1.25v . i hear anything below 1.3v is safe, as long as you have a good consistant power supply and proper cooling. you won't be able to get those voltages through trixx or ccc. your best option is to go into your bios and manually set the voltage for your pcie slots. i would move up in small incriments, instead of jumping voltage too quickly. depending on the brand of card, some over clock easier than others.

lucifer_9mm

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
As Odoyle said increasing the voltage beyond 1.18v using Trixx is not possible, I tried Afterburner but the voltage bar remains inactive even after changing the .cfg file. So the only way seems to be through modifying the bios. Can anyone give me a proper link or tell me the procedure to do that, I'm not that comfortable editing the bios so I need proper directions. Please help....

odoyle_rules

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
gonna need some specs. what brand and model is your motherboard?
depending on your system, it will tell you to hit delete or some "F#" key to enter your bios. its pretty easy to navagate thru most bios's. there should be some advanced key tab that will bring up all the possible tweeks one can do. there should be an option to +/- your voltage on your pcie slots.

lucifer_9mm

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
Its an ASUS M4A88t-M LE & I checked through the bios settings, there is no option to change voltage on the pcie slots. I have heard, it can also be done through the video card bios and thats what I'm looking for, direct and to the point instructions cuz I'm not so much of an expert while handling bios settings. Thanks a lot for your input mate...

dewittgarry

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
I know this thread is old but well, I figured why not try and be helpful anyway. Speaking as someone who has tried to do this I can tell you it isn't possible. AMD's drivers do some sort of "check" on the BIOS to make sure it's an AMD approved BIOS, and if there are any modifications to it you'll get a blue screen as long as you have AMD's drivers installed. I went through this when trying to set custom default clocks for my cards, reflashing to stock BIOS fixes everything though, so if you have two BIOS slots maybe give it a try with RBE (hit up google and read the guides on unlocking the 6950 shaders, should be enough info there to give you a good idea of what RBE does and how to use it) and if I'm wrong then great! (please do let me know so I can try my clock modifications again), if not then go into safe mode (uses the none AMD drivers so it'll work fine) and flash back to default or just use your other BIOS switch.

dewittgarry

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
Also I might add that if you're at 1.18v and can't do 6970 speeds it's probably your memory, which I think is on a different voltage setting than the core. try running it at 880/1270(or 1300) and see what happens.

dewittgarry

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011

Do you know if increasing the PCI-E voltage manually would allow for increases the memory voltage as well? I have a 6950 unlocked that can't do 6970 memory speeds (core is just fine, though).