(Noob) Recommended graphics card for maxing out 1920x1020

Status
Not open for further replies.

theultimateeye

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
So this is the hardware i have already but deciding on the last components to buy:

Corsair 650D
Asus p8z68 v-pro
i5 2500k (keeping at stock clocks unless it bottlenecks whatever card i get)
Hyper 212 evo
Asus Blu-Ray
8gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz
Crucial M4 256gb sata III
Seasonic X-850 watt psu
Video card ???
SSD ???
***edit: running windows 7 home 64 bit not sure if it matters

I'm somewhat of a noob and this will only be my 2nd build. Looking for a gpu that will max most games with full AA @ 1920x1080 on a 46" led 120hz tv (if that matters). Not sure if a single 6970 will cut it or do i need a 7970? Looking to be future proofed for a while and max out Diablo 3 when it comes out as well. Thanks for any input, Jeff.

Solution

Games coming out in the next few years will make better and better use of DX11, and GPUs will get better and better at running these new features like tessellation. We're seeing that with the HD 7000 series, and we'll see it with the GTX 600 series, too.

DX11 slows games down on current mainstream systems, but OP is building a future-proof semi-high-end system and games on a large 120Hz display which allows him to see framerates up to 120fps. If OP's willing to pay, an HD 7970 will do wonders...

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
First, looking at your other specs, your system is "top notch" and should be capable of supporting an High-End Graphic card without a part to bottleneck the GPU.

For full AA @ 1920x1080, an 6970 2GB should be more than enough, except if you want to run everything at Ultra (like BF3), you may get less good fps (around ~40).

If you want to crossfire, just to tell, it doesn't work with all games and has a "dark side" too... It is more complex than *plugging in 2 cards and playing games with it*.
It would require at least an 700W PSU if you want to run an Crossfire with a 6970.

Also, the 7970 is alredy out, you can buy it for an retail price of $549.

For an SSD, no, SSDs won't increase your FPS in any circumstances, but will help diminishing loading times. (not by much since with an HDD, I alredy can load BFBC2 at around 10secs.)

Hope it helps! :)

theultimateeye

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

I appreciate the thorough response! Seems like people always mention "complications" with crossfire/sli but never explain what. I think i'll go for the 6970 like you suggested. I mostly play FPS games (BF3, rage, metro 2033, etc.) and am not really sensitive to fps (if i'm seeing above 30fps it's probably playable to me) Hoping it maxes out Diablo 3 when it gets released however Blizzard might release it in the 4th quarter of 2015 and my whole system will be obsolete by then lol.

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
Those "Complications" with SLI/CrossFire are almost everytime related to poor implementation in the game or even with the driver itself. Just like if you run an program without multi-thread on a dual-core, it will perform less well than in a single-core CPU.

Also, some games don't scale well with CrossFire and will make both of the GPU work for nothing and will just trash what the 2nd GPU is outputting.

Hope that this little guide will make you understand more about CrossFire/SLI. :)

Gordon Freeman

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

Crossfire is easy #1 install second card #2 connect Crossfire bridge to both cards #3 boot up PC #4 install any pertaing drivers which are most likely installed already then select enable Crossfire in CCC. DONE ! it's that easy

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010

Yes it is "that" easy to install, but it may cause problems and some users will waste a lot of time on that. Crossfire is not as fast as an Dual-GPU card and may not even work with some games.

Gordon Freeman

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

Most all games that anyone would be interested in playing work flawlessly with Crossfire and this was back in 09 with 4890s Crossifire so I am sure they have improved even more since then and 6xxx do have better CF scaling than 48xx did on the hardware level and even software level. Watch out the boogie man Crossfire bugaboo is out to get you LOL stop listening to and regurgitating all the fan bouys BS LOL specially since you have never run crossfire.

Gordon Freeman

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

A dual GPU is Crossfire dude they are one and the same and it works the same only thing is dual GPU cards have a built in Crossfire bridge and the dual GPU cards have the same issues as normal Crossfire because the system see them as one and the same.

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010

No, an dual-gpu solution is in the same PCB, and consume far less power than 2x single cards running in crossfire mode...

A GTX 570 would also do the trick. It's equivalent to HD 6970 and allows you to use PhysX. Also it's better at tessellation which may be more important in future games. The only games it matters in right now are Crysis 2 and Batman Arkham City. The 7970 is great in this respect too.

What's your budget so we can be more specific about cards to recommend. A $560 card like the 7970 is of course the best, but what you're looking for can be found in a moderately-overclocked $220 card as well.

theultimateeye

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

I have no real budget. HOWEVER in saying that i'm not the kind of person that will just blindly throw money at something. Hence coming on here for advice. I'll shell out money for a 7970 but if there are cards that perform just as well for similar money then i'll go that route. Remember i'm only using 1 large monitor @ 1920x1080. Without trying to start an arguement is the use of tessellation increasing in games? (and for future games/engines) Then i'm wondering if an nvidia card would be better.

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
Right now, AMD cards are better at tesselation, but they lack of CUDA and PhysX support, but it isn't very important since most games doesn't use PhysX. And your CPU can do Software PhysX pretty well since it is somewhat high-end.

+1

OP, please don't leave your new CPU at stock clocks. That thing was meant to fly.

Gordon Freeman

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

You need to do more research then on how a single PCB Dual GPU card works and they are not all the same.

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010

First, yes they comsume far less power, second I know perfectly how an GPU functions, you don't need to tell me...

HD 6970 = 250W
250x2=500W

HD 6990 = 370W

500-370 = 130W less power... -_-

Yes, games are making better and more thorough use of DirectX 11, and its flagship feature is tessellation (adding more detail to objects as you get closer). The HD 7970 is the first AMD card with a better tessellator than Nvidia's current GTX cards, and it has brand-new architecture which makes it more future-proof. It also overclocks very well. It'll be worth almost every penny.

theultimateeye

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

Well if you guys are saying you would notice a clear difference between the two i guess i would as well. I've just saved up for so long to buy a computer i wont have to upgrade for another few years. (Coming from a Phenom 945 HD4870 setup) Kinda excited now i didn't expect to build a system this fast. Oh and i did buy the k version of the cpu to overclock but i'm currently doing a bunch of research on overclocking. I dont wanna jump the gun yet and dive into something i know nothing about.

Gordon Freeman

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

Your ideal is somewhat simplified on that and you may want to do some more research on it.

the true power consumption isn't like that. It does use more power to crossfire but the difference is smaller.
HD6990-72.jpg

considering 2 6970s are faster thats pretty reasonable.

Gordon Freeman

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

If I am not mistaken 6990 GPUs are underclocked 6970s to conserve on heat and power and this would account for the slight variance in power draw and performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.