Transferring Files form Old Tower to New

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Bought a new tower, can I just hook up a USB cable from the old tower to
transfer files? Mainly nusic files. Thanks.

--
7
answers

    On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 10:57:47 -0400, NewYorkBeating wrote:

    > Bought a new tower, can I just hook up a USB cable from the old tower to
    > transfer files? Mainly nusic files. Thanks.

    If you don't have them connected over a network, your next best bet is
    probably to remove the hard drive from the original tower for a few
    minutes and slave it inside your new tower. Pull the data you want off
    it, then put it back in your old machine. Or connect them over a network.

    --

    Ken Dennis
    http://KenDennis-RSS.homeip.net:8089/

    "NewYorkBeating" <anonymous@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Bought a new tower, can I just hook up a USB cable from the old tower to
    > transfer files? Mainly nusic files. Thanks.
    >
    > --

    no...

  3. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    "NewYorkBeating" <anonymous@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Bought a new tower, can I just hook up a USB cable from the old tower to
    > transfer files? Mainly nusic files. Thanks.
    >
    > --

    if both towers have a network card.. (get a cross over cable(not Patch)
    (about 5?) and connect both)..asign both static IPs pc1 192.168.0.1(subnet
    255.255.255.0) pc2 192.168.0.2 (subnet 255.255.255.0)both in same work group
    (right click my computer>>properties>>.......
    right click files needed sharing on pc1/old>>share
    in the explorer(pc2) type \192.168.0.1 shared files should now appear..
    right click>>copy>>paste anywhere desiredto PC2.

    other than that disconnect hdd from old pc and fit it to new pc as slave..
  4. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Brian;
    There are several options.
    Temporarily moving hard drive to new computer and copying data.
    Networking computers together and transferring data
    FAST:
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "Brian" <b_dyke@web.de> wrote in message

    > "NewYorkBeating" <anonymous@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> Bought a new tower, can I just hook up a USB cable from the old
    >> tower to
    >> transfer files? Mainly nusic files. Thanks.
    >>
    >> --
    >>

    > if both towers have a network card.. (get a cross over cable(not
    > Patch)
    > (about 5?) and connect both)..asign both static IPs pc1
    > 192.168.0.1(subnet
    > 255.255.255.0) pc2 192.168.0.2 (subnet 255.255.255.0)both in same
    > work group
    > (right click my computer>>properties>>.......
    > right click files needed sharing on pc1/old>>share
    > in the explorer(pc2) type \192.168.0.1 shared files should now
    > appear..
    > right click>>copy>>paste anywhere desiredto PC2.
    >
    > other than that disconnect hdd from old pc and fit it to new pc as
    > slave..

  5. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    NY Beating--

    Can't you get the right kind of cable and use something like Eisenworld's PC
    Relocator?

    http://www.eisenworld.com/PCRelocator.asp?sub=1

    http://www.eisenworld.com/PCRelocatorConnections.asp?sub=3

    Chad Harris
    _____________________

    "NewYorkBeating" <anonymous@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    Bought a new tower, can I just hook up a USB cable from the old tower to
    transfer files? Mainly nusic files. Thanks.

    --
  6. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    PC relocator comes with the correct cable also this is the standard answer
    on PC shows like Tech TV:

    a.. Get a USB thumbdrive.
    a.. Get a parallel cable, connect your machines through the parallel printer
    ports, and run DirectConnect on Windows.
    a.. Use Alohabob PC Relocator to transfer your data

    Chad Harris

    "NewYorkBeating" <anonymous@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    Bought a new tower, can I just hook up a USB cable from the old tower to
    transfer files? Mainly nusic files. Thanks.

    Dear Customer,

    Thanks for your posting here.

    Based on my knowledge, you can create a direct cable connection between two
    computers using USB link cable for the USB interface.

    For more information, refer to the following articles:

    814981 How to Configure a Direct Cable Connection with Windows XP Home
    Edition
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=814981

    305621 How To Set Up a Direct Cable Connection Between Two Computers in
    Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305621

    Also, you can plug the harddisk from the old computer to the new one and
    then copy the files you needed.

    Hope this helps! If anything is unclear or you need further help, just post
    back. Have a nice day!

    Thanks & Regards
    Alan Sun
    Microsoft Online Partner Support