Transferring Files form Old Tower to New

October 16, 2004 2:57:47 PM

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Bought a new tower, can I just hook up a USB cable from the old tower to
transfer files? Mainly nusic files. Thanks.

October 16, 2004 3:15:35 PM

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 10:57:47 -0400, NewYorkBeating wrote:

> Bought a new tower, can I just hook up a USB cable from the old tower to
> transfer files? Mainly nusic files. Thanks.

If you don't have them connected over a network, your next best bet is
probably to remove the hard drive from the original tower for a few
minutes and slave it inside your new tower. Pull the data you want off
it, then put it back in your old machine. Or connect them over a network.

--

Ken Dennis
http://KenDennis-RSS.homeip.net:8089/

"NewYorkBeating" <anonymous@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Bought a new tower, can I just hook up a USB cable from the old tower to
> transfer files? Mainly nusic files. Thanks.
>
> --

no...

Related resources
October 16, 2004 9:21:57 PM

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

"NewYorkBeating" <anonymous@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Bought a new tower, can I just hook up a USB cable from the old tower to
> transfer files? Mainly nusic files. Thanks.
>
> --

if both towers have a network card.. (get a cross over cable(not Patch)
(about 5?) and connect both)..asign both static IPs pc1 192.168.0.1(subnet
255.255.255.0) pc2 192.168.0.2 (subnet 255.255.255.0)both in same work group
(right click my computer>>properties>>.......
right click files needed sharing on pc1/old>>share
in the explorer(pc2) type \192.168.0.1 shared files should now appear..
right click>>copy>>paste anywhere desiredto PC2.

other than that disconnect hdd from old pc and fit it to new pc as slave..
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 11:16:09 PM

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Brian;
There are several options.
Temporarily moving hard drive to new computer and copying data.
Networking computers together and transferring data
FAST:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Brian" <b_dyke@web.de> wrote in message

> "NewYorkBeating" <anonymous@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Bought a new tower, can I just hook up a USB cable from the old
>> tower to
>> transfer files? Mainly nusic files. Thanks.
>>
>> --
>>

> if both towers have a network card.. (get a cross over cable(not
> Patch)
> (about 5?) and connect both)..asign both static IPs pc1
> 192.168.0.1(subnet
> 255.255.255.0) pc2 192.168.0.2 (subnet 255.255.255.0)both in same
> work group
> (right click my computer>>properties>>.......
> right click files needed sharing on pc1/old>>share
> in the explorer(pc2) type \192.168.0.1 shared files should now
> appear..
> right click>>copy>>paste anywhere desiredto PC2.
>
> other than that disconnect hdd from old pc and fit it to new pc as
> slave..

Anonymous
October 17, 2004 11:03:02 PM

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

NY Beating--

Can't you get the right kind of cable and use something like Eisenworld's PC
Relocator?

http://www.eisenworld.com/PCRelocator.asp?sub=1

http://www.eisenworld.com/PCRelocatorConnections.asp?su...

Chad Harris
_____________________

"NewYorkBeating" <anonymous@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Bought a new tower, can I just hook up a USB cable from the old tower to
transfer files? Mainly nusic files. Thanks.

October 17, 2004 11:38:46 PM

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

PC relocator comes with the correct cable also this is the standard answer
on PC shows like Tech TV:

a.. Get a USB thumbdrive.
a.. Get a parallel cable, connect your machines through the parallel printer
ports, and run DirectConnect on Windows.
a.. Use Alohabob PC Relocator to transfer your data

Chad Harris

"NewYorkBeating" <anonymous@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Bought a new tower, can I just hook up a USB cable from the old tower to
transfer files? Mainly nusic files. Thanks.

October 18, 2004 10:06:04 AM

Dear Customer,

Thanks for your posting here.

Based on my knowledge, you can create a direct cable connection between two
computers using USB link cable for the USB interface.

For more information, refer to the following articles:

814981 How to Configure a Direct Cable Connection with Windows XP Home
Edition
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=814981

305621 How To Set Up a Direct Cable Connection Between Two Computers in
Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305621

Also, you can plug the harddisk from the old computer to the new one and
then copy the files you needed.

Hope this helps! If anything is unclear or you need further help, just post
back. Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards
Alan Sun
Microsoft Online Partner Support