Sign in with
Your question

Super cheap build

Last response: in Systems
March 24, 2012 9:25:40 PM

Hey guys just seeing what kind crazy low prices people can get for what I am aiming for. I am just looking for a computer for the internet, watching movies maybe and music. Really basic, pretty much some dell computer from walmart would do, but what fun is buying something pre built (plus they are garbage). So I was curious about what the lowest price is people could get while still keeping it at least acceptable speed, without it crashing while trying to open firefox lol.

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the month.

Budget Range: Whatever the lowest price possible.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Web browsing, music/videos

Parts Not Required: Keyboard/mouse/speakers.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg

Parts Preferences: None

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: Whatever is cheapest lol.

Additional Comments: Again it's just gonna be for extremely basic stuff, but I would prefer it not lag extremely bad just from loading a page. Thanks for looking!

More about : super cheap build

March 24, 2012 9:40:16 PM

Throw out a number, so we have something to work with. 'Cheap' to you may be 'expensive' to me and vice versa.
m
l
March 24, 2012 9:45:57 PM

Honestly I am not sure. I know I could never get as low as I want because the OS alone will probably end up being $100, then the monitor etc. maybe 2-400$? Might not even be possible lol.
m
l
Related resources
March 25, 2012 3:29:27 AM

Get a sb celron $50
H61 mobo $49
450 watt power suply $30
Case $20
Dvd drive $17
Windows 7 $100
Refurbished monitor $70
$30 graphics card.
m
l
March 25, 2012 3:53:50 AM

Check the blog in my sig. There's a build with G620 + H61 + HD6670 for just $400. Including OS. Drop the card and it's $330. You can save a further $15 by getting a G530. That's probably the lowest you can go with brand new parts. If you want to get used parts, look for a cheap hard drive and save another $30.
m
l
March 25, 2012 3:58:14 AM

going south of $400 you would be better off with a Dell. I know they are not the best, but they will be better quality and provide a better warranty than building one yourself in that range (plus a cute little box if you get a slimline). The trick is to buy it with the OS discs ($30 on checkout), and then reformat it when you get it to do a fresh install.
Outside of that then it is time to take a look at used parts for old but still capable equipment, and your mileage will vary on that.
m
l
!