Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade Help Please :]

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 19, 2012 12:21:45 AM

Hello everyone,

So my Radeon HD 4870 is on the fritz (constant artifacting and instability) and I'm looking to replace it. Trouble is my system is somewhat dated so I'm kind of hesitant to just simply choose any card since I'm kind of worried about bottle necking. I was thinking of getting the GTX 460 card but I'm still looking for some feedback or alternative suggestions. What do you think? My system specs are shown below:

Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard (nforce 570 chipset)
Raidmax 530W Powersupply
AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual core processor 3800+ 2.01 GHz
2.00 GB Corsair Memory (forget what exactly)
Radeon HD 4870 Graphics Card

More about : upgrade

a c 92 U Graphics card
January 19, 2012 12:23:39 AM

your cpu is a huge bottleneck on a 460.

your best bet is a 6670 or building from scratch, I'd say the latter if you have money.
m
l
January 19, 2012 12:26:48 AM

Thanks for the response.

There is a known issue with the nForce 400 and 500 series chipset motherboards and Radeon 5000 and 6000 series cards. The motherboard will refuse to post and it seems as if Asus has not released a bios revision to remedy this problem for this particular motherboard (and will likely never do so considering the age of the mobo). Could you possibly recommend an alternative card?

Thanks again!
m
l
Related resources
January 19, 2012 12:36:04 AM

I'm not really to enthused about building a system from scratch. All I really want to play right now is Skyrim and some Starcraft II (both of which ran perfectly fine before my video card busted). Not really a hardcore gamer or anything so if I could squeeze out a few more years from this system ill be happy
m
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
January 19, 2012 12:38:38 AM

you'd be looking at a 450 or less from nvidia since anything higher wouldn't make much a difference because of your cpu.
m
l
January 19, 2012 12:43:54 AM

Get some more RAM also the upgrade to 4GB is inexpensive and will be beneficial.
m
l
January 19, 2012 1:00:58 AM

Im thinking about just ordering this card which is the same chipset as my old one. It's a killer deal considering the performance that this card puts out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This might be a stupid question but can someone explain to me what OEM really means in terms of product quality etc? Why are OEM items significantly cheaper?

Thanks!
m
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
January 19, 2012 1:03:08 AM

OEM is for system manufacturers only, sometimes they are refurbs and also don't always come with all the things you'd typically find in a retail box.
m
l
January 19, 2012 1:36:00 AM

That looks like a good deal on the card. However, I'm worried that other parts of your system will die sooner rather than later (i.e. bad caps on motherboard, PSU dying) due to it's age and you would have to end up upgrading anyway or rebuilding from scratch).
m
l
!