Solved

Random Shut-downs

Hello,

I'm having some issues with my build randomly shutting down--when I first built it (August 2011), it might happen once every two weeks, but now it is becoming a multiple-times-per-day occurrence. Once it randomly shuts off, it will usually boot back up if I turn off the physical switch on the PSU, remove the power cord, reinsert the power cord, and turn the physical switch on the PSU back on. However, this week I've had to repeat that process 4 or 5 times for it to stay on long enough to boot up.

I'm running the following components together:

PSU: Antec True Power Quattro 1000w
Mobo: ASUS RoG Crosshair V Formula
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Memory: 2 x 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 2000
Vid: ASUS RoG Matrix GTX580 Platinum
Sound: ASUS Xonar Essence STX
Boot HDD: 256 GB Samsung SATA 470 Series SSD
HDD: 2 x Seagate 1.5 TB SATA

I took apart the entire built today and checked all the risers & motherboard screws to make sure everything was soundly fastened (just in case it might be shorting out?), but it shut itself down about an hour after reassembly. I've been running everything at default settings, just in case it might have to do with memory/CPU/GPU tweaking, and it's still being finicky. I also tried plugging in all possible connectors to the motherboard at once (4-pin ATX12V + 8-pin ATX12V + 4-pin peripheral) just to make sure it was getting enough juice, but this didn't do anything.

Is it definitely the PSU, or are there other avenues to explore?

Cheers,

Bozo
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about random shut downs
  1. my money is on the psu being the problem but its not guaranteed.

do you actually "have to" take out the power cord or will the switch being turned off then on make the computer boot? because if you have to unplug it to get power to stop then you need a new psu for sure.
  2. Best answer
    most likely the PSU. Keep in mind next time that for a single 580 you only need ~650W, so get something that fits the real wattage use of your rig, and then get the best quality one of that range you can afford. Remember; excess wattage is just waste, and no amount of wattage can make up for quality.

There is a possibility that it could be ram, mobo, CPU, failing HDD, or something else entirely, but the PSU is the most likely culperate. Try putting your other parts in another system and see if that turns anything up
  3. have you tried bread-boarding and booting off a live CD to see if you can narrow things down a bit?
  4. farrengottu said:
    do you actually "have to" take out the power cord or will the switch being turned off then on make the computer boot?

Power is cut off when I flip the switch, but for some reason, the sudden shut-downs happen much sooner (1-2 seconds after powering back on) if I only flip the switch and don't remove the cord :heink:
  5. CaedenV said:
    most likely the PSU. Keep in mind next time that for a single 580 you only need ~650W, so get something that fits the real wattage use of your rig, and then get the best quality one of that range you can afford. Remember; excess wattage is just waste, and no amount of wattage can make up for quality.

Good to know. I suppose I was just trying to leave elbow-room for upgrades via over-kill, but that probably wasn't worth it in retrospect.

CaedenV said:
    There is a possibility that it could be ram, mobo, CPU, failing HDD, or something else entirely, but the PSU is the most likely culperate. Try putting your other parts in another system and see if that turns anything up

I've gotten into the habit of unloading excess hardware as soon as I upgrade, so I don't have a lot to pull from.

I've been keeping an eye on the "Q LED"s on the motherboard (boot device, CPU, DRAM, GPU) to see if I can discern a pattern leading to the shut-offs; each one seems to flicker red briefly during boot (granted that the system remains powered-on long enough to boot), but they go off pretty soon thereafter.

CaedenV said:
    have you tried bread-boarding and booting off a live CD to see if you can narrow things down a bit?

Funny thing. My optical drive stopped working a few shut-offs ago. But, apart from that, I usually can't get further than a few seconds into the boot sequence before it shuts off, so alternate boot options would be hard to manage as it is.

This thing is still under warranty, so I'll see what Antec has to say.

Thanks for your help!
  6. Best answer selected by bozobrown.
  7. np, and good luck. Computer problems are never fun.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems