Sign in with
Your question

Can I overclock on stock cooler?

Last response: in Systems
March 24, 2012 10:12:37 PM

I have an i5-2500K that's idling around 40C. I ran RealTemp and it said the max temp was 98C. Should I be safe overlcocking on an Asus P8Z68-V LX?

More about : overclock stock cooler

a b K Overclocking
March 24, 2012 10:18:46 PM

You can - it's entirely possible but only a light overclock like using the Turbo Boost feature that should be built into your motherboard's BIOS or UEFI.

If your case has a CPU retention bracket I'd recommend getting an aftermarket fan like a Hyper 212 or other CPU cooler.

I've heard rumors that you can take the 2500K to 4.5 on stock cooling but I'm not sure how accurate those reports are.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 24, 2012 10:32:58 PM

Spend $40 and get a proper cooler. Why risk damage to a $200+ cpu?
-Bruce
m
l
Related resources
March 24, 2012 10:52:31 PM

^1+ You shouldn't risk it.
m
l
March 24, 2012 11:00:21 PM

With that max temp don't even think about overclocking on stock cooling.

Anyways to answer your question technically it is possible, but we all strongly advice against it as it will shorten the lifespan of your cpu significantly (could even just burn on the spot). Overclocking in your scenario would probably be on your top 10 list of most stupid things you will have ever done, unless you take part in "Jackass" type stunts.

m
l
a c 130 K Overclocking
March 24, 2012 11:03:21 PM

xspectrum said:
I have an i5-2500K that's idling around 40C. I ran RealTemp and it said the max temp was 98C. Should I be safe overlcocking on an Asus P8Z68-V LX?

40c sounds a bit high. Are you certain that you have all 4 pushpins solidly through the motherboard and locked?

Regardless, yes, you can hav a conservative oc with the stock cooler. It will spin up and get noisy under load.
If the temperatures get too hot, it will throtle down to protect itself.
By conservative oc, I mean just raise the multiplier, and leave the voltage on auto.
m
l
March 25, 2012 1:05:06 AM

Old tech but I was running my E7500 at 3.6Ghz on a stock cooler and thermal pad full load temps never got over 72C. The stock cooler would not work at 3.8 though. Maybe I got lucky with my CPU.
If you want to over clock on the stock cooler I would recommend not going over 73C (full load) that seems to be the where the super coolers get to on very large overclocks. And generally seems to be accepted as a safe temperature.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 25, 2012 1:07:30 AM

40C at idle sounds a bit high unless your case cooling is really crappy and/or you have an improperly mounted HSF as mentioned.
I have a crappy case cooling story but this isn't the time.
m
l
March 27, 2012 6:14:11 AM

DelroyMonjo said:
40C at idle sounds a bit high unless your case cooling is really crappy and/or you have an improperly mounted HSF as mentioned.
I have a crappy case cooling story but this isn't the time.

Turns out the reason it was so hot was because the A/C in my house wasn't on and the room temperature was around 85F. I'm now multitasking (6 tabs open on Firefox, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, and downloading a game on Steam) with around 33C.
m
l
!