Help installing 2nd harddrive

G

I just purchased a 20 gig hard drive to go put all my games onto and just boot and all the rest with my 9 gig

how do i get my 20 gig reconized?

do i fdisk and format it ?

please list all the steps thank you

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
You will get more educated responses than mine, but I can get you started. Firstly, make sure your existing drive jumpers are set to "Master". The jumper settings are usually marked on the hard drive somewhere. Next, set the jumpers on the new drive to "Slave". Then install the drive in your case and plug in the power and IDE cables.

Chances are, that's all you will need to do. I've had drives come out of the box ready to go and others that needed formatting. It never hurts to format a new drive anyway.

-- If you recycled your computer, would you get enough money to buy a pizza? --

G

thx for the help, well i did all that but its still not working

i've got the bios configured for my hard drive and its plugged in etc and bios detects its but i cant' access it or anything

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
I would recommend formatting the disk. That should do it. What kind of motherboard is it? And what operating system?

-- If you recycled your computer, would you get enough money to buy a pizza? --

G

i'm running win98se and athlon 700 on K7V "classic athlon"

it saying D:/ is not acessable
a device attached to your system is not functioning

and i tried formating it but under its properties its empty 0 gigs and fat not fat 32 ... help

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
You have to FDISK and then format the new drive. Start your computer with a boot up floppy. When you get the A: prompt, run FDISK to creat a DOS partition. (Assuming you want only one partition on the drive) Then reboot, and at the A: prompt type format d: That should be it.

<b> JOHN HANCOCK </b>

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
Should have mentioned, if you haven't used FDISK before be careful that you select the D: drive. So, the first thing is to be sure you make the D: drive the current drive. If the options on the menu are not clear I think there is help available with F1.

<b> JOHN HANCOCK </b>

G

i just tried to go fdisk and it won't let me partion it so i tried to delete the partion so i can reinstall it again and it won't let me delete it either

and since its not reconizing i cant format it either

this drive is brand new just got it friday

any other ideas oh and i was under the 2nd drive

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
If it's a new drive there shouldn't be any partitions...and pressing 4 should reveal that. So, after selecting drive 2, I would think that entering "1" to creat a DOS partition would be it.
Did you get a hard drive installation utility (floppy disk) with your new drive? Every retail HD that I have bought has come with such a utility. What make HD and where did you buy it? You can download the installation utility at the Maxtor web site. If that doesn't work, I don't know...maybe a bad hard drive?

<b> JOHN HANCOCK </b>

G

its a fujitsu MPG3204AH it is 20 gigs came in a fujitsu brown box no software its oem

um it was from http://www.techstore.com

i'll call them and see what to do if i can't get it working by tonight

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
I just checked the Maxtor web site and they say their utilities only work on Maxtor products. Check out the web site of your HD manufacturer.

<b> JOHN HANCOCK </b>

G

thx for all your help that software did it all for me and it works good now thanks again

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
Glad I was able to help.

BTW...if you now go into FDISK and check the partition you might see that a tiny amount of disk space was lost. You can recover it by removing the partition and recreating it with FDISK. However, if it's now working maybe the adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it" applies here. Good Luck.

<b> JOHN HANCOCK </b>