Opinions on $700 build[first build]

litodc2

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
Hi everyone, this is going to be my first build and I am looking for some opinions on the parts that I chose for this build. I'm not looking to overclock because I'm a newbie still, but may dwell into it in the future. any feedback on the build is welcome!

cpu-i5 2400
cpu cooler- cm hyper 212
Video Card-sapphire hd6870
Mobo-Asrock extreme3 gen 3
HDD-Seagate 200gb(from old desktop), may get a 120gb ssd as a boot drive and for games
Memory-Kingston Hyperx blu 8gb (2x4gb) 1600
Power supply-OCZ Modxstream 600w modular
Case- cm storm scout
optical drive- lg dvd/cd combo

Solution
cpu/ mb good call

RAM bad call . You need 1.5 volt or less for sandy bridge processors or the warranty is voided

The 200 gig HDD? Are you sure its SATA ? If not you will need an add in card to add an IDE connector so it may be cheaper just to buy a new hard drive.

You can use a smaller cheaper SSD as a cache drive and get almost as big a performance boost .
cpu/ mb good call

RAM bad call . You need 1.5 volt or less for sandy bridge processors or the warranty is voided

The 200 gig HDD? Are you sure its SATA ? If not you will need an add in card to add an IDE connector so it may be cheaper just to buy a new hard drive.

You can use a smaller cheaper SSD as a cache drive and get almost as big a performance boost .

Solution

litodc2

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012

Thanks outlander for the quick response, are there any specific memories you would recommend? what do you think about the g.skill ripjaws or the corsair vengeance 8gb dual channel kits? and yes, the hard drive is a SATA, my old desktop is from 04/05 when the technology was transitioning, it had a IDE cd drive w/ sata hard drive and an AGP video card slot. weird combo ahaha. but i'm definitely considering a 60gb ssd to store my OS and my programs/games

Tutherow

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
I am also building my first new computer and im getting the that very Mobo i have heard good things.

I am getting the i5 2500k just because its a few dollars more. If youre not going to be over clocking you might not want to get the cpu cooler, all the processors i seen come with a cpu fan.

I am getting G.Skill (2x4gb) ddr3 1600 it was recommended to me from a friend

nice choice on your power supply being modular, it will save you the headache with all the wires.

The storm scout case is one of the most popular cases out there and a great price. Probably going to switch to that.

my video card is going to be the gtx 560 ti

here a really cool site to find the cheapest prices and too see your build all together, the following link is to my build im getting.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/62T0