Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which CPU should i buy?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 8, 2012 4:54:41 PM

Hi guys. I'm 1 part away from finishing my gaming PC (er i don't know but its a gaming PC from where i come from).
Specs: Powercolor Radeon HD 6850
MSI 870S C45 FX V2
4gb DDR3 Transcend RAM
Corsair TX650
(i can't buy a hard drive because they cost way too much nowadays)

And i need a good CPU so could you give me some advice?

More about : cpu buy

a c 283 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 8, 2012 4:58:17 PM

Phenom II X4 965 BE. That mobo supports the Bulldozer chips, of course, but for gaming, the 965 BE would be the best choice.
July 8, 2012 5:01:16 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Phenom II X4 965 BE. That mobo supports the Bulldozer chips, of course, but for gaming, the 965 BE would be the best choice.


Really? Will it be better than an AMD FX Series FX-8150 8x 3.60GHz? It still has 2 times more cores and a higher clock lol
Related resources
a c 283 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 8, 2012 5:06:36 PM

Yes, it's better in gaming anyway, especially when OC'd. Like I just said in another thread, there's no reason to get a FX CPU right now, with Piledriver right around the corner.

I've seen you around the forums enough to think that you should know that the 8150 actually only has 4 execution cores (along with the 8 integer cores), so it doesn't perform at all like a true 8 core CPU would. That along with a slow architecture makes it a bad choice for gaming.
July 8, 2012 5:17:09 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Yes, it's better in gaming anyway, especially when OC'd. Like I just said in another thread, there's no reason to get a FX CPU right now, with Piledriver right around the corner.

I've seen you around the forums enough to think that you should know that the 8150 actually only has 4 execution cores (along with the 8 integer cores), so it doesn't perform at all like a true 8 core CPU would. That along with a slow architecture makes it a bad choice for gaming.


So what you're saying is it has something like intel's hyperthreading technology? Like an i7 that has 4 cores and 8 threads? This is getting confusing. But i should go for the 965 since i already know phenoms are AMD's strongest CPU's and by the looks of it the last phenom in stores so i guess i should buy it as soon as possible before they are gone like when i bought my 6850 and a day later there weren't anymore 6850's in stores, only online ones (and i doubt AMD will be making more 6*** series cards since 7*** series is out). Oh well thanks for a quick reply. And i just hope AMD doesn't make the piledriver CPU's like the bulldozer.
a c 283 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 8, 2012 5:21:58 PM

Lazar_99 said:
So what you're saying is it has something like intel's hyperthreading technology? Like an i7 that has 4 cores and 8 threads?


In a sense, but nowhere near the same because HT is totally virtual when what Bulldozer has isn't. What Bulldozer uses actually performs better percentage wise, BUT the architecture is so slow that it totally negates that.

And I hope Piledriver is good too to give Intel a reason to keep prices lower.
July 8, 2012 5:33:48 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
In a sense, but nowhere near the same because HT is totally virtual when what Bulldozer has isn't. What Bulldozer uses actually performs better percentage wise, BUT the architecture is so slow that it totally negates that.

And I hope Piledriver is good too to give Intel a reason to keep prices lower.


Intel doesn't need to do anything right now until AMD makes a CPU that can takedown an i5 lol They released these new ivy bridge CPU's but AMD can't even get close to beating an i5 2500k not to mention an i7
a c 283 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 8, 2012 5:37:40 PM

Very true, unfortunately for us consumers (it's also why I'm glad I have a 2500K :lol:  ).
July 8, 2012 5:44:58 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Very true, unfortunately for us consumers (it's also why I'm glad I have a 2500K :lol:  ).


Yea, no AMD fanboy can touch you :D  Though i'm forced to buying AMD cpu's because i can't afford a decent i5 and i don't want to buy an i3 2100 because it has 2 cores and future is just around the corner and games are already starting to use more than 2 cores
July 9, 2012 8:35:06 PM

there is always a next gen product that makes the current best look bad in a few months or so ., and as far as i have seen its always a better choice to invest in an i5 processor .
!