Sign in with
Your question
Solved

AMD build: build now or wait?

Last response: in Systems
March 25, 2012 4:01:43 AM

After a some researching on the web, I have settled down on the AMD Llano as the platform that best suits my needs. With Trinity launch in a couple of months, I am tempted to hold off. But then the performance gains being touted are not significant enough according to leaks.

Question is build now or hold off. My present machine is starting to show signs of age! Time to move on!!

BTW, I found a ASUS F1A75-M mobo for a 50$ @ Frys the other day. Seems like a good deal to me as online it sells for 85$. I have a week to make up my mind whether to keep it or not. AMD Trinity will use the FM2 chipset, so FM1 mobo will not work with Trinity.

More about : amd build build wait

March 25, 2012 4:49:04 AM

Thanks for your reply. The performance gains claimed are tempting me to hold off! But then they are claimed performance gains!!

BTW, what is that pic in your profile?
m
l
Related resources
a b À AMD
March 25, 2012 7:54:39 AM

I scanned my face .

an online joke a few years ago . My friends all did that too
m
l
March 25, 2012 8:40:46 AM

Anyone else want to chime in on their thoughts?
m
l
March 25, 2012 8:46:43 AM

Patience is a virtue and save don't spend.
m
l
March 25, 2012 3:31:45 PM

@I am a PC: I understand. Trying to replace a system, I built in 2005! My current desktop, is a single core and is starting to show signs of age. Multitasking is impossible. And also once in a while won't boot properly, or LAN is not detected etc. Time for a new build.

@Max1s: Thanks for that article! That was a good read and an eye opener. I am reconsidering my decision to go AMD Llano. But again the question is, with Trinity around the corner, is it worth the wait? Especially since its performance claims will bring it on par with the Intel CPU/AMD graphics card combo.
m
l

Best solution

March 30, 2012 8:17:23 PM

vishnumrao said:
@I am a PC: I understand. Trying to replace a system, I built in 2005! My current desktop, is a single core and is starting to show signs of age. Multitasking is impossible. And also once in a while won't boot properly, or LAN is not detected etc. Time for a new build.

@Max1s: Thanks for that article! That was a good read and an eye opener. I am reconsidering my decision to go AMD Llano. But again the question is, with Trinity around the corner, is it worth the wait? Especially since its performance claims will bring it on par with the Intel CPU/AMD graphics card combo.

Honestly thats up to you, but I would not recommend going with llano this close to trinity and ivy bridge. Going the 1155 board plus intel and dedicated gpu gives you a lot of upgrade room later on down the road since most 1155 boards will work with both Sandy and Ivy bridge. I dont recommend FM1 based llano because its a dead end, it is alright for now but you get much better future proofing with 1155. Trinity is still kind of a wild card, it will be a projected 50 to 60 percent faster graphics wise and supposedly 30 percent faster CPU wise while using less power, honestly I dont put much stock in AMD's words these days and I'm kind of an AMD fan. Basically what I'm saying is you know you can go with and get solid performance today with an Intel rig and a dedicated card and have upgrade abilities in the future. Or you could wait for Trinity and see how it performs in a few months and hopefully also have a decent upgrade path available in the future, but do you want to do this upgrade now or wait a few months? Either way, I would skip Llano.
March 30, 2012 8:32:22 PM

I suggest getting an i3 and discrete card. The i3 CPU is much faster.
m
l
March 30, 2012 8:37:01 PM

Honestly I think I would skip the I3 line all together as you can get the same game performance from a pentium, you just dont get hyper threading. You could use that as place holder for later move to an I5 or I7, or just go straight for an I5 2500K or I7 2600K, or wait for sandy to come out and hopefully drop prices a bit.
m
l
April 1, 2012 4:21:06 PM

@artk2219: How many times does one upgrade the processor on a machine? Don't know anyone who has done it. Atleast I don't plan to. So I don't necessarily view FM1 as a dead end.

I do agree with you that with Trinity so close, you are right about holding off. I will wait to see what Trinity has to offer. Maybe the prices on the FM1 chips may even drop!

Honestly, I am more of an AMD fan too. If there are products between AMD and Intel that are comparable in terms of performance/price and performance/watt, then I tend to favor AMD. The A8-3870K matches the i3 and outperforms mostly.

AMD is the underdog that keeps the Intel bully in check. AMD's death would be a catastrophic problem for the PC industry itself! I had considered building a more powerful system and was trying to choose between Bulldozer and i7 from Intel. I ended up choosing the i7-2600K, because it beat Bulldozer in every respect. But I decided it was more than I wanted to spend and more than I wanted.

@obsama1: The A8-3870K matches the i3-2100 and outperforms mostly.
m
l
April 11, 2012 12:43:05 AM

Best answer selected by vishnumrao.
m
l
April 11, 2012 1:04:24 AM

Yeah, go with Intel. That's the main vibe.
m
l
!