Sign in with
Your question

PSU for my first ever build :S

Last response: in Components
July 8, 2012 4:57:03 PM

Hello all.

This is my first ever pc build. The case i bought comes with 500 watt PSU. However, i have read around the topic and have deduced that you shouldn't skimp on your PSU.

Full specification:-

Intel Core i3 2120 - 3.3 GHz Dual-Core (BX80623I32120) Processor

Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2x4GB) Memory Kit DDR3 1333MHz KHX1333C9D3B1K2/8G

GIGABYTE H61M-S2PV MOTHERBOARD INTEL H61 CHIPSET SOCKET 1155 DDR3 1333 PCIE GEN3

Arctic Alpine 11 Pro Silent Socket 1155 1156 775 Heat Sink & and Fan CPU Cooler

LG Writer 22x Internal SATA DVD RW / CD DRIVE / WRITER

Hitachi Deskstar T7K500 400GB 8MB 3.5'' SATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive - HDT725040VLA380

Black Micro ATX Desktop PC Case + 500 Watt Power Supply

NO discrete GPU. (using onboard intel HD graphics 2000).

2 x Arctic Cooling F8 PWM Cooling Fan 1 x 80 mm - 2000 rpm Fluid Dynamic Bearing

Can anyone recommend a cost effective PSU for my build?

How many watts will this system use?

Can anyone see any bottlenecks in my build?

Thanks in advance.

HYDROXIDE

More about : psu build

Related resources
a c 243 ) Power supply
July 8, 2012 5:52:39 PM

mace200200 said:
If you don't plan on adding a dedicated graphics card then this should be all that you would ever need.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That would be fine for any graphics card tht requires the single 6 pin connector that it has to offer, and because of the obscenely low system power consumption even some cards that require dual 6 pin connectors ( with an adapter )
a c 125 ) Power supply
July 8, 2012 6:01:53 PM

^+1. The EA-380D (and original, non-D) have been my goto PSUs for years in basic builds. As delluser1 points out, it is capable of powering any graphics card with a single 6-pin power connector, including the HD6850 and HD7770.
If you ever intend to play games on this system, you will need a discrete graphics card. Even if you don't, you should still get a better PSU because the cheap ones typically omit filters, and can die without warning for indeterminate reasons, often taking other parts with them into the fiery abyss.

July 8, 2012 10:09:35 PM

Also, can i use an old power cord iv got lying around from a old laptop or do i have to buy one just for that PSU?

Thanks again.
a b ) Power supply
July 8, 2012 10:19:56 PM

HYDROXIDE1 said:
Also, can i use an old power cord iv got lying around from a old laptop or do i have to buy one just for that PSU?

Thanks again.

PSU's just use standard power cables (I play guitar and amps will use these, and work on cars and some tools use this), not what you would use for a laptop. Usually it will come with one, if not I think you can buy for under 10 bucks.
a c 125 ) Power supply
July 8, 2012 10:22:15 PM

That's an excellent PSU. It will accept a "standard" computer power cord. Note that it will have a larger end than the cord that comes with something like an electric razor, TV, or possibly the laptop. If you've got any local computer shops, they'd likely give you one, or sell it cheap.
a c 125 ) Power supply
July 8, 2012 11:59:50 PM

The listing doesn't make sense. The VP450 is perhaps the only non-active PFC I might recommend; it is efficient enough for 80+ but is disqualified for not having Active PFC. It is a 450W PSU; HardwareSecrets gave it a Golden Award. That eBay listing, however, goes on to describe a 550W unit, not the VP450. I believe there is a VP550 also, which this might be. In either case, the price is excellent, even with postage.
July 9, 2012 12:50:07 AM

Onus said:
The listing doesn't make sense. The VP450 is perhaps the only non-active PFC I might recommend; it is efficient enough for 80+ but is disqualified for not having Active PFC. It is a 450W PSU; HardwareSecrets gave it a Golden Award. That eBay listing, however, goes on to describe a 550W unit, not the VP450. I believe there is a VP550 also, which this might be. In either case, the price is excellent, even with postage.

Wow that's great. I have contacted the seller to get confirmation on which wattage the psu is.
Either way, by not having a active PFC, how does that affect the psu or my system?
Is it safe to use without worrying about it blowing itself up or my components?
Or am I just being too worried lol

Thanks again :) 
a c 125 ) Power supply
July 9, 2012 1:29:03 AM

Oh it's safe, but I've heard that EU law requires Active PFC on computer power supplies because it reduces stress on the power grid. A PFC circuit keeps voltage and current in phase. I believe it makes the operating characteristics similar to that of simple incandescent bulbs (which are linear) rather than motors (which are inductive).
July 9, 2012 5:03:46 PM

Just found out that non PFC PSU is 550watts, however I cannot use that in the UK.

So I may use the stock fan until I can get the ANTEC EarthWatts 500w EA-500D GREEN ATX 12V Power Supply - 88% Efficiency - PSU.

Thanks all for your replies, help and advice :) 
a c 125 ) Power supply
July 9, 2012 5:47:57 PM

Well, the EA-500D you found has active PFC; that's an excellent PSU.
July 24, 2012 12:01:48 AM

Well i got the Antec EA-500D. Excellent price at £35.00 with free P+P. Well chuffed. Brand spanking new in its plastic wrapping.

However, iv had it a week or so and iv noticed a burning smell coming from it. *just my luck*

After some googling, I have checked the capacitors on the mobo and none of them seem to be bulging. Checked the wiring it seems fine also. This comes with 2, 4 pin connectors, however my mobo only uses 1 (checked correct shape). 20+4 pin quite hard to put into the wrong place lol.

By the way, iv had it running 8 hours straight one day on F1 online: the game. Everything was fine.

I used Speedfan to check CPU temps. 25ish idle and 42 max when doing some intensive tasks. whenever temps go above 40, CPU fan kicks in and knocks them back down to below 40. By the way, all temps in Celcius.

I cant open the PSU becuase it will void the warranty.

Any ideas how to resolve this issue?

Thanks again.
a c 125 ) Power supply
July 24, 2012 12:37:03 AM

Not sure. Any stability issues? Any chance it's just a "new electronics" smell, or are you sure it's "burning?"
July 24, 2012 12:47:44 AM

Well, the new pc has never turned itself off. Not sure on "new electronics" smell though.

It's just a wierd smell from the PSU. Everything is working fine, like i said.

Also, does this smell always happen with new PSU's?
How long does it last?
a b ) Power supply
July 24, 2012 1:06:10 AM

HYDROXIDE1 said:
Also, does this smell always happen with new PSU's?
How long does it last?

The "fresh electronics" smell is due to various solvents and cleaners used to remove residues from the manufacturing process. It can take a few days of burn-in to bake those off.

Depending on where the products were manufactured, the cleaning agents used may not be too healthy to breathe in so I would recommend increased room ventilation for the first few days if you do not have central air or open windows.
July 24, 2012 1:14:43 AM

InvalidError said:
The "fresh electronics" smell is due to various solvents and cleaners used to remove residues from the manufacturing process. It can take a few days of burn-in to bake those off.

Depending on where the products were manufactured, the cleaning agents used may not be too healthy to breathe in so I would recommend increased room ventilation for the first few days if you do not have central air or open windows.

I see. Thanks for letting me know. Im just worried i may fry something in my computer.

But, as i have said before, there are no problems other than that wierd smell.

Im currently using my old computer to figure out whats going on:-

Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) 3600+ 2.00 GHz
RAM: 3.00 GB
System Type: Windows 7 32-bit Operating System
Onboard Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 7025/ NVIDIA nForce 630a (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)

^^lmao...you can tell i make my pcs to last lol.

jokes aside, hope this smell goes away sharpish.

Thanks
a b ) Power supply
July 24, 2012 5:13:09 PM

HYDROXIDE1 said:
jokes aside, hope this smell goes away sharpish.

If it is solvent and similar other stuff smell, the quickest way to get rid of it is to use it so it heats up to bake off those volatile substances.

My Nexus7's "fresh electronics" smell is mostly gone after one day of intensive goofing around.
!