Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Problem renaming a file

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 5:08:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Win XPP SP2. Every once in a while, I will make a new folder on the desktop
or somewhere else, but usually on the desktop. This is always preceeded by
dragging some shortcuts into the folder as far as I can tell. When I try to
rename the folder by right clicking and selecting rename from the rt. click
context menu, I can type the name, in and then I get a box that says "Cannot
rename the folder. It is being used by another program. Close all programs
and try again." If I have the shortcuts open in IE and close them, it
doesn't matter. The only cure for this seems to be "rebooting." Since
closing those shortcuts in the folder I want to rename has no impact, and no
other programs are related that I can tell, what could be going on. Why
should a program running here matter anyway. I thought about anything I
could change with regard to ownership of the folder or file attributes to
impact this, but there seems to be nothing.

What's the magic of a reboot here and is there a way to fix this when it
happens once in a while?

Also I've noticed that if you have a Window or windows positioned near a
folder, it won't let you rename the folder but if you move them clearly to
one side of the desktop it will. Does anyone understand what's happening
there?

Thanks,

Chad Harris

More about : problem renaming file

October 18, 2004 1:47:41 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I'm not sure if this is entirely accurate, but I remember from way back that
Explorer in XP behaves somewhat akward at times in that it 'locks' folders
that you are 'looking' at. The end result being that some actions won't get
executed because the systems considers these folders/files 'in use by some
other program' (Explorer in this case).
You don't have to actually have 'opened' anything, the simple fact Explorer
is open and the folder/file is selected seems to be enough.
Good old Winfile didn't do that.
Now possibly the good news is, that if you still happen to have a copy of
Winfile from NT4 times available, you can run it in XP and won't have the
'locked' problem.
The magic of the 'reboot' here is plain and simple, Explorer has 'forgotten'
everything it did before and is basically starting with a clean slate.

hth
george

"Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:uNOzNL6sEHA.2800@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Win XPP SP2. Every once in a while, I will make a new folder on the
> desktop or somewhere else, but usually on the desktop. This is always
> preceeded by dragging some shortcuts into the folder as far as I can tell.
> When I try to rename the folder by right clicking and selecting rename
> from the rt. click context menu, I can type the name, in and then I get a
> box that says "Cannot rename the folder. It is being used by another
> program. Close all programs and try again." If I have the shortcuts open
> in IE and close them, it doesn't matter. The only cure for this seems to
> be "rebooting." Since closing those shortcuts in the folder I want to
> rename has no impact, and no other programs are related that I can tell,
> what could be going on. Why should a program running here matter anyway.
> I thought about anything I could change with regard to ownership of the
> folder or file attributes to impact this, but there seems to be nothing.
>
> What's the magic of a reboot here and is there a way to fix this when it
> happens once in a while?
>
> Also I've noticed that if you have a Window or windows positioned near a
> folder, it won't let you rename the folder but if you move them clearly to
> one side of the desktop it will. Does anyone understand what's happening
> there?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chad Harris
>
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 1:47:42 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

George. Thanks. This is interesting. I wonder now how to find that file
and I will use it. I just have to find it. Maybe the reason is as you say.
I wonder if there are additional explanations. This is interesting. Do you
know where to find good old Winfile.exe from NT?

I guess I'll have to search it down. Appreciate the info.

Chad Harris
___________________________


"george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:eV6OxIItEHA.3572@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
I'm not sure if this is entirely accurate, but I remember from way back that
Explorer in XP behaves somewhat akward at times in that it 'locks' folders
that you are 'looking' at. The end result being that some actions won't get
executed because the systems considers these folders/files 'in use by some
other program' (Explorer in this case).
You don't have to actually have 'opened' anything, the simple fact Explorer
is open and the folder/file is selected seems to be enough.
Good old Winfile didn't do that.
Now possibly the good news is, that if you still happen to have a copy of
Winfile from NT4 times available, you can run it in XP and won't have the
'locked' problem.
The magic of the 'reboot' here is plain and simple, Explorer has 'forgotten'
everything it did before and is basically starting with a clean slate.

hth
george

"Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:uNOzNL6sEHA.2800@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Win XPP SP2. Every once in a while, I will make a new folder on the
> desktop or somewhere else, but usually on the desktop. This is always
> preceeded by dragging some shortcuts into the folder as far as I can tell.
> When I try to rename the folder by right clicking and selecting rename
> from the rt. click context menu, I can type the name, in and then I get a
> box that says "Cannot rename the folder. It is being used by another
> program. Close all programs and try again." If I have the shortcuts open
> in IE and close them, it doesn't matter. The only cure for this seems to
> be "rebooting." Since closing those shortcuts in the folder I want to
> rename has no impact, and no other programs are related that I can tell,
> what could be going on. Why should a program running here matter anyway.
> I thought about anything I could change with regard to ownership of the
> folder or file attributes to impact this, but there seems to be nothing.
>
> What's the magic of a reboot here and is there a way to fix this when it
> happens once in a while?
>
> Also I've noticed that if you have a Window or windows positioned near a
> folder, it won't let you rename the folder but if you move them clearly to
> one side of the desktop it will. Does anyone understand what's happening
> there?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chad Harris
>
Related resources
October 18, 2004 6:25:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Finding out which file it is may be possible using Filemon from
www.sysinternals.com. (Freeware)
You mailaddress is only partly fake, right?

george

"Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:utAg5wJtEHA.1220@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> George. Thanks. This is interesting. I wonder now how to find that file
> and I will use it. I just have to find it. Maybe the reason is as you
> say. I wonder if there are additional explanations. This is interesting.
> Do you know where to find good old Winfile.exe from NT?
>
> I guess I'll have to search it down. Appreciate the info.
>
> Chad Harris
> ___________________________
>
>
> "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:eV6OxIItEHA.3572@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> I'm not sure if this is entirely accurate, but I remember from way back
> that
> Explorer in XP behaves somewhat akward at times in that it 'locks' folders
> that you are 'looking' at. The end result being that some actions won't
> get
> executed because the systems considers these folders/files 'in use by some
> other program' (Explorer in this case).
> You don't have to actually have 'opened' anything, the simple fact
> Explorer
> is open and the folder/file is selected seems to be enough.
> Good old Winfile didn't do that.
> Now possibly the good news is, that if you still happen to have a copy of
> Winfile from NT4 times available, you can run it in XP and won't have the
> 'locked' problem.
> The magic of the 'reboot' here is plain and simple, Explorer has
> 'forgotten'
> everything it did before and is basically starting with a clean slate.
>
> hth
> george
>
> "Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:uNOzNL6sEHA.2800@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Win XPP SP2. Every once in a while, I will make a new folder on the
>> desktop or somewhere else, but usually on the desktop. This is always
>> preceeded by dragging some shortcuts into the folder as far as I can
>> tell. When I try to rename the folder by right clicking and selecting
>> rename from the rt. click context menu, I can type the name, in and then
>> I get a box that says "Cannot rename the folder. It is being used by
>> another program. Close all programs and try again." If I have the
>> shortcuts open in IE and close them, it doesn't matter. The only cure
>> for this seems to be "rebooting." Since closing those shortcuts in the
>> folder I want to rename has no impact, and no other programs are related
>> that I can tell, what could be going on. Why should a program running
>> here matter anyway. I thought about anything I could change with regard
>> to ownership of the folder or file attributes to impact this, but there
>> seems to be nothing.
>>
>> What's the magic of a reboot here and is there a way to fix this when it
>> happens once in a while?
>>
>> Also I've noticed that if you have a Window or windows positioned near a
>> folder, it won't let you rename the folder but if you move them clearly
>> to one side of the desktop it will. Does anyone understand what's
>> happening there?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Chad Harris
>>
>
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 3:23:12 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

George--

Thanks. Like a lot of people just the _nospam to foil some bots--not a
perfectly winnable battle. I appreciate the info.

Chad Harris
____________________________________________________
"george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:edPtJ2QtEHA.1548@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
Finding out which file it is may be possible using Filemon from
www.sysinternals.com. (Freeware)
You mailaddress is only partly fake, right?

george

"Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:utAg5wJtEHA.1220@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> George. Thanks. This is interesting. I wonder now how to find that file
> and I will use it. I just have to find it. Maybe the reason is as you
> say. I wonder if there are additional explanations. This is interesting.
> Do you know where to find good old Winfile.exe from NT?
>
> I guess I'll have to search it down. Appreciate the info.
>
> Chad Harris
> ___________________________
>
>
> "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:eV6OxIItEHA.3572@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> I'm not sure if this is entirely accurate, but I remember from way back
> that
> Explorer in XP behaves somewhat akward at times in that it 'locks' folders
> that you are 'looking' at. The end result being that some actions won't
> get
> executed because the systems considers these folders/files 'in use by some
> other program' (Explorer in this case).
> You don't have to actually have 'opened' anything, the simple fact
> Explorer
> is open and the folder/file is selected seems to be enough.
> Good old Winfile didn't do that.
> Now possibly the good news is, that if you still happen to have a copy of
> Winfile from NT4 times available, you can run it in XP and won't have the
> 'locked' problem.
> The magic of the 'reboot' here is plain and simple, Explorer has
> 'forgotten'
> everything it did before and is basically starting with a clean slate.
>
> hth
> george
>
> "Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:uNOzNL6sEHA.2800@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Win XPP SP2. Every once in a while, I will make a new folder on the
>> desktop or somewhere else, but usually on the desktop. This is always
>> preceeded by dragging some shortcuts into the folder as far as I can
>> tell. When I try to rename the folder by right clicking and selecting
>> rename from the rt. click context menu, I can type the name, in and then
>> I get a box that says "Cannot rename the folder. It is being used by
>> another program. Close all programs and try again." If I have the
>> shortcuts open in IE and close them, it doesn't matter. The only cure
>> for this seems to be "rebooting." Since closing those shortcuts in the
>> folder I want to rename has no impact, and no other programs are related
>> that I can tell, what could be going on. Why should a program running
>> here matter anyway. I thought about anything I could change with regard
>> to ownership of the folder or file attributes to impact this, but there
>> seems to be nothing.
>>
>> What's the magic of a reboot here and is there a way to fix this when it
>> happens once in a while?
>>
>> Also I've noticed that if you have a Window or windows positioned near a
>> folder, it won't let you rename the folder but if you move them clearly
>> to one side of the desktop it will. Does anyone understand what's
>> happening there?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Chad Harris
>>
>
!