Sign in with
Your question

My New Dell Workstation T-7500 gives electric shock

Last response: in Systems
March 25, 2012 6:44:52 AM

Just bought Dell T-7500 Workstation.

When installation technician came to Install the workstation, he got an electric shock when he touched the Start Button.

He also got shock when he touched Front Panel.

No shock when touching rest of the Chassis.

He called Dell Support & tried to troubleshoot by taking out various wires etc but did not help.

I touched the same places & I also got shock.

We checked everything possible including connecting to various outlets but it didn't solve the problem.

Installation subcontractor said that they are not supposed to troubleshoot anything on new system, just install it & they made notes & left.

I called my sales guy & it was weekend so he said he will take care of it on Monday.

Here are my concerns :

(1) Why does that happen ? Although it is a mild shock & it won't kill you but might damage other parts of workstation ?

(2) Is this common for workstations ?

(3) What should I do ? Of course Dell will try to troubleshoot again but should I let them do that OR ask for a New System ?

(4) Wheat would happen if I continue using it till the new system arrives ?

Thank You.
March 25, 2012 8:51:30 PM

Shock that didn't throw you across room was low voltage. One of the wires is crimped under the MB and shorting against the case/front panel, or something similar.

Ask for another PC. You don't want to wait for this one to be fixed. Once fixed, this PC will be just as good as new -- they will just replace the PSU/crimped wire. I don't think anyone actually splices wires as part of fixes, just replaces modules like the PSU.

(1) Why does that happen ? Although it is a mild shock & it won't kill you but might damage other parts of workstation ? -- see above

(2) Is this common for workstations ? --Nope

(3) What should I do ? Of course Dell will try to troubleshoot again but should I let them do that OR ask for a New System ? -- New system.

(4) Wheat would happen if I continue using it till the new system arrives ? -- Bad idea, if the load on the PSU causes it to overheat it will shutdown with no warning. And if this is really a high voltage problem then you might suddenly switch between harmless and really bad. They can get you a new system REALLY FAST when pushed. Call Dell directly and explain that you and tech were shocked. That you need a PC to run your business. They should jump.
m
l
March 26, 2012 10:27:16 AM

tsnor said:
Shock that didn't throw you across room was low voltage. One of the wires is crimped under the MB and shorting against the case/front panel, or something similar.

Ask for another PC. You don't want to wait for this one to be fixed. Once fixed, this PC will be just as good as new -- they will just replace the PSU/crimped wire. I don't think anyone actually splices wires as part of fixes, just replaces modules like the PSU.

(1) Why does that happen ? Although it is a mild shock & it won't kill you but might damage other parts of workstation ? -- see above

(2) Is this common for workstations ? --Nope

(3) What should I do ? Of course Dell will try to troubleshoot again but should I let them do that OR ask for a New System ? -- New system.

(4) Wheat would happen if I continue using it till the new system arrives ? -- Bad idea, if the load on the PSU causes it to overheat it will shutdown with no warning. And if this is really a high voltage problem then you might suddenly switch between harmless and really bad. They can get you a new system REALLY FAST when pushed. Call Dell directly and explain that you and tech were shocked. That you need a PC to run your business. They should jump.

Sales guy said that support will send an Engineer in a day or two.

So should I let him do the troubleshooting or " JUST SAY NO " & ask for a Replacement ?

I am also afraid that if they take this system back, they will probably Repair it & send me back the same system. This is a very expensive system. ( $ 3000.00 ) How do I protect myself from that happenng ?

Also it took a month to deliever it because it is assembled out of the country. So I might be wasting my time & eventually getting the same system back after they make repairs on the same system.

m
l
Related resources
March 27, 2012 2:27:46 AM

Dell called me back & gave me two choices.

They said that they will change motherboard or power supply or both to make it work.

OR

They will pick up this system first & then give me a new one which would take 4 to 6 weeks because it is manufactured in another country.

I told them that I need this system for my business & would like to keep it untill the new one arrives. I also told them that I will not hold them responsible if something goes wrong & I lose my data OR for any bodily harm.

Support guy said that he will talk to management & let me know.

After using other Dell systems for 9 years & knowing their tactics, I am pretty sure that they are going to give me the same system back after they repaire it.

(1) What should I do if they insist on returning the current system back before they give me the new one ?

(2) Also how would I know whether the new system is not a totally new but it is the same one that I have & they just repaired it & gave me back ? If that happens, what can I do ?
m
l
April 1, 2012 2:04:51 AM

Update :

Thank You tsnor.

They agreed to give me the new system & also let me keep the old system untill 5 days prior to the delievery of new system. They said it had something to do with taxes & paerwork etc.
m
l
April 5, 2012 8:50:59 PM

Excellent. Glad it worked out, sounded like a nice server.
m
l
!