Help, not filling monitor...

NewFossil

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
I purchased a BFG GeForce 6200OC a month ago. Everything worked great until a few days ago. Now, when I start the computer and it gets to the desktop, there is a gap of about an inch of black space on the right of the screen. If I hit the auto adjust button on the monitor it fills the gap, but I do not want to do this every time. I have re-installed the video driver and changed monitors, but that did not work. What can I do?

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
I have seen this too, and I haven't found a solution beyond just hitting the auto adjust button to make it go away. I have (in my experience) noticed that this is a characteristic of VGA driven displays and not of DVI models.

It has to do with the way the BIOS and windows reference points on the display, methinks. I think that the BIOS references by the center of the screen and windows references by the edge of the screen, causing this sort of problem. To help with solving the problem, you could wait until the system post beeps and starts loading windows before you turn your monitor on. When you do that it should auto-adjust itself to be pointing all the pixels in the right direction for windows.

Another thing you could try is just leave it all off centered and get into windows. Then, in the nvidia control panel, using the NVkeystone, adjust the monitor into proper position. You're gonna have to eyeball that one. Restart your computer, and see if that fixes the problem.

If nothing here works, I have no more ideas as of yet to help you with your problem. I would also like to note that I see that it was fine for a few days and then it just started doing that. I have seen this before and I am not sure of the cause of this problem. I think it may be related to some image editing softwares auto adjusting some things in windows so that they are more "true" colors on the screen. Adobe has done this sort of thing to me a couple times, but I never made the idea of a connection until now. I shall research a bit more into this.

Alyarbank

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
You need to set the correct resolution for your monitor through the display driver. First find the correct resolution. Most LCD's support a fixed resolution . Right click any empty spot on the desktop then select properties, then select the Settings tab. Then set the slider to the desired resolution, then click apply. Make sure Windows recognizes your monitor properly, if needed use the driver diskette that came with the monitor.

If you update the drivers or change monitors you may have to repeat this (which is normal) due to differences in hardware.

crualtortus

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
You need to set the correct resolution for your monitor through the display driver. First find the correct resolution. Most LCD's support a fixed resolution . Right click any empty spot on the desktop then select properties, then select the Settings tab. Then set the slider to the desired resolution, then click apply. Make sure Windows recognizes your monitor properly, if needed use the driver diskette that came with the monitor.

If you update the drivers or change monitors you may have to repeat this (which is normal) due to differences in hardware.

you could do what he said. or eat jellybeans.