Sign in with
Your question

Can gpu overheat if psu is too low w ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 19, 2012 9:26:21 AM

Hello, I have problem with overheating on my GTX 260. It all started when i build my new PC and add the Gf card from old PC in to new one.
Old Pc Phenom 2 2.4ghz, 4gb ram DDR2, and i upgrade my PSU 450w. New PC is AMD FX 6100 OC to 4.1ghz, 6 gb DDr3 at 1600mhz and i use PSu that came with the case 500w.
http://www.dabs.ie/products/best-value-ezcool-na705b-ca...

can it bee that PSu is to low and my GPu over heats. It was running fine in old PC at max to 60C temp. in games like Skyrim, BF , now in new PC its Overheats in 3-4 min and PC shuts down Temp. hits max of 105 c and fan speed is at 100%

More about : gpu overheat psu low

a c 228 U Graphics card
January 19, 2012 11:06:34 AM

Yes, the PSU could be insufficient for your system. The CPU being OCed adds additional stress to what appears to be a low quality PSU. Inadequate power can lead to an overheating GPU and can also lead to permanent damage to other components as well.

I recommend you replace the PSU with a known, high quality one. Look at a Corsair and get at least a 650w PSU to allow room to grow. If you can afford it, go with a Seasonic. The bottom line is that with PSUs, you get what you pay for.

Good luck. BTW, dropping the OC for now will help with you situation. You should also make sure you have good airflow in your system.
a c 175 U Graphics card
January 19, 2012 11:11:38 AM

Insufficient! :) 

DON'T risk your Computer!!!!!!!!!

Buy a better PSU and come back!
Related resources
January 19, 2012 11:49:33 AM

thx for fast replays guys.
Just to add OS is WIn 7 Ultimate 64bit
its my first self build so plzz go easy on me.
My main question is why is it Overheating can it be PSU ore its more in depth Bios +
Becouse it was as simple as old PC power off 10 mins and card is in new one i didn't keep in car ore under my bed.
a c 228 U Graphics card
January 19, 2012 1:34:49 PM

The OS is irrelevant to the overheating problem. Overclocking will certainly generate more heat and stress on the system and will affect the PSU's ability to service the rest of the system (especially the GPU). If you return your CPU back to stock speed, how does the temperature of your GPU change? If it stabilizes back to safe temps, you know you have an under-powered PSU. Try it.
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2012 3:23:23 PM

First off, total agree, replace PSU. Generally the ones supplied with cases are low end and best used as a boat anchor.

That said, Yes a PSU can cause over heating if the +12 V is low. Low +12V will cause the Voltage regulators (on board the GPU) to increase duty cycle which increases their temperatures.

While I already indicated, I would replace the PSU. I would try to also get a better handle on WHY GPU is overheating.

You did an overclock, hopefully you ran prime 95 to verify stability. When you did this you probably monitored CPU temps. You should have ALSO monitored the +12V rail. Spec for the +12 V rail is no lower than 11.4 Volts, I use 11.6 V as absolute lowest.
What is your +12 V rail when runing Prime 95!!

Next, if +12 V is OK under prime 95. Run furmark - NOTE will only be able to run for couple of minutes as GPU will overheat, so be ready to stop Furmark. NOTE the +12 V rail again. If it hits less than 11.6 V, then that is also the probable cause and do not use until you replace the PSU. If the Voltage drops more than 0.3 V (ie 12.0 -> 11.7 V) Id also replace the PSU as the PSU regulation (related to "Real" power capability) is Poor.

For +12 V monitoring, Check MB utilities, usally installed from MB CD. You can also try speedfan or HWMonitor. Be aware that if the +12 V shous up as a way off value, disreguard as program is incorrect and try a different program. Ex +12 V reads 10V or 16 V - Computer would not work at these levels so program showing invalid reading.
a c 130 U Graphics card
January 19, 2012 3:40:35 PM

The reason why a weak PSU can cause overheating of a GPU is because the GPU is pulling power from the PSU. A lot of people think this is the other way around or indeed do not really ever give it a thought.
If your set up is such that your PSU is on the weak side the GPU is at a very basic level struggling to pull the power,which causes it to over heat. It will continue to try and pull the power until either the PSU shuts down/goes bang, (the latter is not very probable these days but is possible) or the GPU overheats to the point where the GPU shuts down.

Mactronix :) 
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2012 3:47:07 PM

Jeronimo919 said:
Hello, I have problem with overheating on my GTX 260. It all started when i build my new PC and add the Gf card from old PC in to new one.
Old Pc Phenom 2 2.4ghz, 4gb ram DDR2, and i upgrade my PSU 450w. New PC is AMD FX 6100 OC to 4.1ghz, 6 gb DDr3 at 1600mhz and i use PSu that came with the case 500w.
http://www.dabs.ie/products/best-value-ezcool-na705b-ca...

can it bee that PSu is to low and my GPu over heats. It was running fine in old PC at max to 60C temp. in games like Skyrim, BF , now in new PC its Overheats in 3-4 min and PC shuts down Temp. hits max of 105 c and fan speed is at 100%

I am liking my FX 6100, i read people that OC'd it to 4.2 avg. but im still running mine at stock freq. Its probably best 95w CPU on the planet far as price and performance I havn't had a need to OC yet. I just got my A70 but i'm only gonna OC if i SLI. which my GPU would compare to yours when it was in its prime
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2012 4:53:09 PM

That psu MIGHT put out 350w if your lucky, not anywhere near 500w.

The longer you run it, the more chance you have of it failing and taking out your mobo, cpu, ram, and video card.
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2012 5:11:39 PM

That psu is complete junk too. It doesn't even meet the basic 80+ certification rating.
!