New PSU giving some issues

kkerswell

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
I've recently upgraded my PSU but two things are happening that didn't before.

Previously, my PC always came on when I switch the power on by the plug socket. Now however, it comes on for a few seconds, switches off for a couple of seconds and then comes back on and loads up normally.

Secondly, when I shut down my PC the fans on the PSU, GPU and Processor all continue to spin until I either switch of by the plug socket or the power button on the front of the PC.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 3/24/2012, 09:32:54
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.111118-2330)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: INTEL_
System Model: DG33BU__
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4600 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3322MB RAM
Page File: 1973MB used, 4670MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

What are your PSU spec's?

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

It's a decent PSU. My guess on your problem is that your PSU's design, like most modern appliances, is such that it's "normal" operation requires the power switch to be always on. What you are doing by turning off the rocker every time is the same as unplugging your tv to turn it off. The power supply (and your computer) are designed to be turned off and on by the computer's on/off switch (if not they wouldn't have them). The fans keep running because until you push the computers off switch the PSU "senses" a demand and/or need for them. It probably is some sort of a safety feature to protect your components.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

I doubt it. The ironic thing is that with all the new "green" standards of computer components and built in windows itself, without some constant power they won't work as designed! Not to mention that the extra power needed to actually start these items "cold" is more harmful (and or wasteful) than any imposed by leaving the switch on. The evidence of this is what happens to your PSU (and your PC) when you turn it on now. Your old PSU probably wasn't near as efficient as your new one is. If your problem with leaving the switch on is noise or fan lights that's another issue that we can discuss. Sorry.