Sign in with
Your question

Need help fixing"Microsoft Windows Search Indexer has stopped working"

Last response: in Windows 7
January 13, 2012 7:01:52 AM

Hi, i had this error pop up twice about 7months ago then it went away on its own, and has just now came back and with a vengeance and i cant seem to find anything about fixing it. It tends to happen whenever i open ANYTHING on my computer, like if i goto control panel or ect itll like freeze up for 10 seconds then start working.

Heres a pic of the error logs that the problem report page gives me
And all the errors even those dating back to 7months ago are all exactly the same.

Computer Details -
Windows 7 64
ATI 5870 GPU
1000W Coolermaster Powersupply
6gb Corsair Ram

It'd be greatly appreciated if anyone can help me fix this.

Extra info: i think it might've started recently when i downloaded webroot onto my computer after removing Avira Free.
January 13, 2012 7:24:00 AM

Update windows ,try superantispyware for scan background spywares,hackers etc... Scan with kaspersky or avg
m
l
January 13, 2012 7:26:06 AM

hey

"I just want to say, for the sake of anybody who finds this on Google, that I fixed it. The trick is to delete all files related to search indexing, located by default at:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows

and:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Temp

Delete all files and folders in these directories (you might want to make a backup, I did, but it proved unnecessary).

Then, change the service back to starting automatically. You still can't start the service until you reboot, at which time Windows will rebuild the index."

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/microsoft-w...
m
l
Related resources
January 13, 2012 6:53:36 PM

My Windows is upto date and i did a superantispyware scan and a webroot scan and neither found anything besides a few cookies which i removed anyway.
I also tried doing the deleting the search files thing but it wouldnt let me due to Indexer running so i tried just doing the "Rebuild" option under advanced but that didnt fix it either.

Edit: I stopped the Windows Search(Indexer) and deleted files and rebooted and that didnt fix it either.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 13, 2012 7:18:33 PM

Go to and enable the search and indexing.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 13, 2012 7:19:31 PM

Restart! And than enable indexing on the drive in question.
m
l
January 13, 2012 7:35:55 PM

Hmm.. Tried that just now and after the restart i opened the computer files to try and reproduce the error and sure enough i got it again :(  . Is there any other options besides doing a full backup, because i dont think i have any system restore points that go back before this happened.

I'm looking in my Admin Event Logs and its show a ton of Error for today, and majority of them are showing Disk Errors - Bad Blocks, and SearchIndexer.exe Errors and then the .dll errors aswell, ill try and upload some pics of them soon.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 13, 2012 8:02:44 PM

Sounds like your HDD is possibly dieing - even though it may be somewhat "new" (new meaning in the past year) some HDD's have defects straight out of the manufacturing plant.

Try this option: go to your computer, right click on you C drive, and go to properties.

Now go to the tools tab and select "check now" under "error checking", tick off both boxes and restart the computer.

It may take a while for your computer to scan the HDD.
m
l
January 13, 2012 8:30:12 PM

Heres the pic of the various errors that admin event log is showing

This Disk error has been happening for about 4 months it seems but ive just now found out about it.
m
l
January 14, 2012 2:01:34 AM

Update: I did the HDD scan, i noticed it said that it found the corrupted file chsbrkr.dll and fixed it but i went afk afterwards and i dont know if there were anymore errors or anything as it was complete when i came back.

Edit: I think doing the HDD scan fixed it. i'm no longer getting any errors showing up in the event log where as before i was getting them every 2minutes. Thanks for all the help.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 16, 2012 12:27:38 PM

Just to be safe I would back up your files to a USB key if you have one. It is very possible a HDD can go wonky and lose all your data.
m
l
!