Power Off/On During Boot

rickstones

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
My new PC build has been up and running for about two weeks now. Here are the components:

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO REV3
i7 2600K (not overclocked yet)
16GB (4X4) Corsair Vengeance
EVGA GTX 580 Classified Ultra 3GB (Core Clock 900MHz, Shader Clock 1800MHz, Memory Clock 4212MHz)
Boot Drive: Intel 520 Series Cherryville SSD120GB
Storage Drive#1: WD Cavier Black 1 TB, SATA Rev 3 (6GB/S)
Storage Drive#2: Segate 500 GB (SATA (3GB/s)
Two Optical Drives: 1 DVD read/write, 1 DVD read-only
Internal USB Card Reader
Hauppauge PCIe TV tuner
OCZ ZX Series 1250W PSU (80-Plus Gold, Full Modular)
CM Storm Trooper Enclosure

A few days ago, a boot issue developed that I've never seen before. After I press the power button, before I receive the POST Beep/Screen, the power goes completely dark for 2 to 3 seconds (seems like an hour), and then it powers back up again and completes the boot normally. It has never failed to finish booting, I just get the little power-down moment of intense terror and trauma.

I initially overclocked the CPU to 4.6GHz and it was stable (ran Prime95 for a little over an hour), but I was getting temperatures in the high 70's, and I received a pop-up notice from somewhere (?) telling me the motherboard was at 0V??). I had no idea what that meant, so I reset everything, and planned to try again another time. The boot problem didn't start right away after this. It booted normally for 5 or 6 days afterward, and then this started happening.

Any ideas?

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Why so much power?

rickstones

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

I am planning to add another (maybe two more) video cards if the price drops enough after Kepler... May still be overkill, but I wanted to make sure I didn't have to replace the PSU if I went SLI.

rickstones

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

I'll bet you are right. The only thing that bothers me is that it doesn't happen EVERY time. It happens maybe 7 or 8 out of 10 times. I would think that a bios issue would be 100% repeatable. But in any case, I'm going to reset it and see if it goes away.